Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hansen really did get screwed.

If that was Hossa or any star on a regular player like Hansen, no suspension.

If that was Kesler or any star hitting another star, again no suspension.

The league just has two different set of rules for stars and regulars.

Pure HY-PO-CRI-SY

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Hansen really did get screwed.

If that was Hossa or any star on a regular player like Hansen, no suspension.

If that was Kesler or any star hitting another star, again no suspension.

The league just has two different set of rules for stars and regulars.

I'd say it's more like one set of rules for teams owned by The Old Boys, and one for everyone else.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Brad May said he was shocked there was a suspension. The vibe i'm getting it that a lot of hockey people don't really think that was suspension worthy.

The vibe I'm getting is former NHL players and a ref (Kerry Fraser) with no axe to grind with the Canucks (aka unbiased) are calling it the right way.

It is time to get rid of Shanahan, and as someone mentioned before myself, put together a committee.

arsmaster*

Shanahan got it right.
There was no intent from Hansen, but you have your forearm flailing around a guy's cranium, that is reckless.
NHL had to give him a game, to maintain their position on protecting players heads.

What are 5 gloved punches to a players head? They aren't reckless, they are intentional.

Bollig punched Weise 5 times before he even had his gloves off....we can go back and forth about it until we're blue in the face, the league's discipline is so inconsistent it's ridiculous, they don't care about protecting guys heads. They care about protecting their image.

Hossa was and is fine, he's just one of those guys that lays there trying to draw ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
What are 5 gloved punches to a players head? They aren't reckless, they are intentional.

Bollig punched Weise 5 times before he even had his gloves off....we can go back and forth about it until we're blue in the face, the league's discipline is so inconsistent it's ridiculous, they don't care about protecting guys heads. They care about protecting their image.

Hossa was and is fine, he's just one of those guys that lays there trying to draw ****.

I respect Hossa enough to think that he wasn't just trying to stir **** up by lying there. He probably saw some stars and got a bit freaked out due to his history.

Last edited by a moderator:

arsmaster*

I respect Hossa enough to think that he wasn't just trying to stir **** up by lying there. He probably saw some stars and got a bit freaked out due to his history.

I don't.

Even if you see stars, you get up and skate off. He was 3 feet from the door to his bench.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
I don't.

Even if you see stars, you get up and skate off. He was 3 feet from the door to his bench.

You get up and skate it off even if you have recently suffer a major concussion? Why does everything have to be some sort of huge conspiracy against the Canucks? Is it that much of a stretch that he was a little spooked by the hit? IMO Hossa is a class act no way he decided to lay there to draw a suspension.

But hey if you wanna hate, hate. Sheesh some Canuck fans sure do love to carry that cross.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Anyway, Hossa has the right to lie there for as long as he wants. I doubt he personally has any bad feelings towards Hansen after watching that replay. He also seems like a pretty decent guy overall so I don't see the point of wishing him anything bad.

This is purely on the NHL, Shanahan and the refs. They're easily swayed by star power and fans' perceptions of things, as well as the media. That whole discipline department needs a revamp. Not to mention the refereeing system as a whole — it's painfully obvious they can't process the game fast enough to make the necessary decisions (and it's not really their fault, it has gotten much faster).

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
Anyway, Hossa has the right to lie there for as long as he wants. I doubt he personally has any bad feelings towards Hansen after watching that replay. He also seems like a pretty decent guy overall so I don't see the point of wishing him anything bad.

This is purely on the NHL, Shanahan and the refs. They're easily swayed by star power and fans' perceptions of things, as well as the media. That whole discipline department needs a revamp. Not to mention the refereeing system as a whole —*it's painfully obvious they can't process the game fast enough to make the necessary decisions.

^
I absolutely agree. The league suspends on perception more then merit. I swear the lurk forum and comment sections just to poll how most fans perceive an incident before they dole out the consequences.:sarcasm:

arsmaster*

You get up and skate it off even if you have recently suffer a major concussion? Why does everything have to be some sort of huge conspiracy against the Canucks? Is it that much of a stretch that he was a little spooked by the hit? IMO Hossa is a class act no way he decided to lay there to draw a suspension.

But hey if you wanna hate, hate. Sheesh some Canuck fans sure do love to carry that cross.

I'm not calling it a conspiracy. I'm calling out a player for laying on the ice.

Spooked, smooked. Get up and have the doctors come check on you in the quiet room.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I'm not calling it a conspiracy. I'm calling out a player for laying on the ice.

Spooked, smooked. Get up and have the doctors come check on you in the quiet room.

Hey now guys, let's all stay friends and concentrate our hate and anger towards the Hawks and NHL officials :D

And if we concentrate hard enough:

Last edited:

TheDiver*

This is purely on the NHL, Shanahan and the refs. They're easily swayed by star power and fans' perceptions of things, as well as the media. That whole discipline department needs a revamp. Not to mention the refereeing system as a whole — it's painfully obvious they can't process the game fast enough to make the necessary decisions (and it's not really their fault, it has gotten much faster).

Yeah but he acted like he was dead.

Seriously. Its one thing to be shaken up, another to do an impression of Christopher Reeve.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007

I think this is probably correct. If anyone has played a contact sport regularly you have probably been mildly concussed before. It can be hard to tell how bad of a shot you took, especially if you didn't see it coming like in this case. It's like a flash bulb goes off inside your head and ears and then it gets really quiet for a time dilated second or two. Given that Hossa had just come through a terrible concussion he probably thought the worst when he felt some concussion symptoms from the hit.

After thinking about it some more the fact that he's back at practice doesn't really prove anything as to whether or not he suffered another concussion, so I guess I'm at peace with the one game suspension. Lots of Hawk players, like Seabrooke, seem to just play through obvious concussions. Hossa might just be tired of dealing with concussion bs and just wants to try and keep his great season going. He could just be sucking it up old school style, unfortunately to his long term detriment.

StringerBell

Not surprised Hossa is fine. More surprised the department of player safety had the gall to justify the suspension based on an injury being suffered on the play before determining whether our not an injury was suffered on the play. Not a chance Hossa would have been suspended for doing the same thing to Hansen. Ugh, the double standard is disturbing.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not surprised Hossa is fine. More surprised the department of player safety had the gall to justify the suspension based on an injury being suffered on the play before determining whether our not an injury was suffered on the play. Not a chance Hossa would have been suspended for doing the same thing to Hansen. Ugh, the double standard is disturbing.

This.

Nothing against Hossa.. Even though I still hold on to my opinion that most other players would'of stayed on their feet, or atleast gotten up straight away.

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
I really don't think Hossa was diving/milking an injury either. Likely he was just freaked out. Which means it was simply bad luck for Hansen to even get a penalty. I'm sure Hossa didn't forward that information to Shannahan though.

I'm still astounded it was a suspension. Like if this is a suspension, Bollig's 5 intention punches should be too? (which would be crazy, that stuff happens every game).

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I really don't think Hossa was diving/milking an injury either. Likely he was just freaked out. Which means it was simply bad luck for Hansen to even get a penalty. I'm sure Hossa didn't forward that information to Shannahan though.

I'm still astounded it was a suspension. Like if this is a suspension, Bollig's 5 intention punches should be too? (which would be crazy, that stuff happens every game).

Not likely:

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Hossa: "He surprised me with a punch from behind. I was shaky for a few minutes right after, that's why I didn't return." #Blackhawks

Hossa: "Felt not like myself for the first half hour." #Blackhawks

Hossa on Hansen's suspension: "At least something, cause we don't want to see guys hitting other guys in the head, especially from behind."

Seems like Hossa is sticking to the "Hansen deserved the suspension" opinion.

TheDiver*

Hossa didn't move, respond to the trainer or peel his face off the ice for 43 seconds. Enough for a ref to call a penalty.

Then he gets up and skates off fine right away without assistance :laugh:

I wasn't born yesterday, and neither were Jannik Hansen nor Alain Vigneault:

Per Rick Ball: Vigneault says he "got a chuckle" out of NHL explanation for Jannik Hansen suspension. Wouldn't elaborate.

Per Dan Murphy: Hansen when told Hossa skated today and may play tomorrow. "Doesn't surprise me. But that's all I should probably say."

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
It's stupid to say that whether Hossa was milking the hit or not. No one knows but himself if that hit really rocked him, so suggesting otherwise is just rude and pathetic. It's also stupid how everyone is saying Hansen is a cheap shot artist. It's ****ing Hansen.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hossa didn't move, respond to the trainer or peel his face off the ice for 43 seconds. Enough for a ref to call a penalty.

Then he gets up and skates off fine right away without assistance :laugh:

I wasn't born yesterday, and neither were Jannik Hansen nor Alain Vigneault:

Per Rick Ball: Vigneault says he "got a chuckle" out of NHL explanation for Jannik Hansen suspension. Wouldn't elaborate.

Per Dan Murphy: Hansen when told Hossa skated today and may play tomorrow. "Doesn't surprise me. But that's all I should probably say."

Maybe Hawks fans should read this and measure it against a player like Toews before they call a Nuck player cheap again!

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Happy with the suspension and that Hossa is back very quickly. Mainly because i want others to dislike the Hawks as much as i do. Hansen is one of my favorite players one game will not hurt him eventhough he is underpaid. Now can we agree to dislike the Hawks again. Now have a reason to dislike Hossa. The more they talk the more i dislike them, our guys never seem to say anything about them.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Wow, this thread is embarrassing. Hansen's a dirty player who nailed a star player in the back of the head. He got one game, it's not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad