Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I never thought he should have been suspended...but it was likely a Hawks medical team decision to not allow him to return to play that night. Teams don't take chances with guys who have been out that long with a previous concussion.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
POsted this on main board in response to Keenan thought that the suspension should be rescinded

The incident shows that Shanahan is just as big an clot as Campbell. Basically Hansen raised his hand to hit the puck and Hossa backed right into his elbow. It was a slight blow and Hossa absolutely over reacted

Lieing on the ice like he did, Hossa indicated a very serious head injury. He just lay still on the ice as if completely unconcious. Given his history you would have to believe that he would have stretcher him off and would certainly have been hospitalized for further examination and out for a considerable period. Instead he skates off and now has not even temporary effects from the blow. Anyone who is knocked cold, like Hossa's actions suggested he was, does not overcome such a blow almost immediately and that is especially true of people who have suffered previous major head injuries

What motivations Hossa were are open to question. Maybe he got bumped, got scared that he might have been hurt and then felt like he had to stay down to justify the way he initially reacted. Maybe he wanted to sucker in the ref for major penalty with little time left in the game. Maybe he is trying to show others that he will go down with any type of hit just to scare people off from hitting him to the head.

But, in the end, the fact he is right back to the next practice and playing the next game shows that he was not significantly hurt and that his lying prone on the ice like he was completely knocked cold was a acting job. If he had been injured to the extent his actions indicated it is implausible to think that he has no after effects.

All you can hope is that Shanahan (and this is probably false hope given the erratic nature of Shanahan's actions - like 25 games for Torres also against Hossa) learns form this and waits to see the total picture rather than being suckered by appearance and player status and that Hossa now gets the rep for crying wolf.

If there was any justice the suspension would be rescinded in light of how the situation has unfolded. But concrete head Shanahan, who, by the way, overseas some of the worst officiating in professional sports, has no where near the intellectual capacity for that.

Dado

But, in the end, the fact he is right back to the next practice and playing the next game shows that he was not significantly hurt and that his lying prone on the ice like he was completely knocked cold was a acting job.

Disagree. It shows no such thing.

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
The guy was milking it-I thought so at the time-his interview the next day convinced me.It was embellishment(sp) at it's finest.I do not blame the Blackhawk org for wanting to take precautions-they did what was in their best interests given his history-but I have no doubt that Hossa is a diver & may want to take up acting when he leaves hockey.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Let's be fair, if it was Daniel who got hit by say, Stalberg, the HF Boards would be on full anti-Canuck mode and we'd be hearing it from Milbury about how the team is just a bunch of cheapshotting divers.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Let's be fair, if it was Daniel who got hit by say, Stalberg, the HF Boards would be on full anti-Canuck mode and we'd be hearing it from Milbury about how the team is just a bunch of cheapshotting divers.

Yeah, but the Sedins aren't star players. Heck, they're only above average because they've got each other, amirite?

YouCantYandleThis*

Now Hossa is saying Hansen "punched him in the head."

What a ****ing *****. That whole team is just raised that way. Must a be a Quenneville thing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm sure Hossa took himself out as a precaution, and he passed all of the tests so he was back on the ice the next day.

It was a slightly reckless play by Hansen and he got a minimal suspension. That's all there is to it. The constant whining and conspiracy theory pushers are just embarrassing as a fellow Canucks fan.

Dado

It was a slightly reckless play by Hansen and he got a minimal suspension. That's all there is to it. The constant whining and conspiracy theory pushers are just embarrassing as a fellow Canucks fan.

I agree with this.

Hansen did something to another player that he shouldn't have done, it wasn't an earth-shatteringly bad thing, and the punishment was very light.

Onwards and upwards...

StringerBell

I'm sure Hossa took himself out as a precaution, and he passed all of the tests so he was back on the ice the next day.

He also got labelled as a known offender, which will factor into any future suspensions. That bothers me more than the game he missed yesterday.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He also got labelled as a known offender, which will factor into any future suspensions. That bothers me more than the game he missed yesterday.

But why is that unfair? Because he's a Canuck? Do you not think the relative minority of the incident will be considered if he puts himself in this situation again?

It's all just a whole lot of nothing.

Dado

It wasn't his call after he went down like he was shot the trainers said NO

Right.

Because the trainer is going to say to himself, "Self, here's a perfect opportunity to get a fringe player out of the game, all I have to do is tell my superstar to play dead and then take the rest of the game off."

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Isn't there a statute of limitations on that? 18 months and then the slate is wiped clean?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Right.

Because the trainer is going to say to himself, "Self, here's a perfect opportunity to get a fringe player out of the game, all I have to do is tell my superstar to play dead and then take the rest of the game off."
Or perhaps he didn't know whether Hossa was faking it or not and had to assume the worst (which I can't fault the trainer for) given the seriousness of a concussion injury. Many players likely will say they're able to play (whether they should or not).

Again, I tend to think Hossa thought he was hurt and took himself out of the game (can't knock him for that).

StringerBell

But why is that unfair? Because he's a Canuck? Do you not think the relative minority of the incident will be considered if he puts himself in this situation again?

It's all just a whole lot of nothing.

I don't think I said it was unfair. I was just clarifying that along with missing one game he gets that status.

Isn't there a statute of limitations on that? 18 months and then the slate is wiped clean?

Yep.

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
A player that smart doesn't take himself out of the game for a no-name like Hansen.

He didn't exactly see whose elbow he backed into though. Might have been a bit dazed and wanted to draw a penalty, and got in over his head when the staff told him he had to sit.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Sort of. After 18 months with no supplementary discipline Hansen will go back to being a non-repeat offender for any future incidents. But that doesn't mean this suspension is ignored in any future rulings. The league can and does still consider a player's entire history when handing out a suspension. If Matt Cooke goes 18 months without any discipline, you can be sure they'll still consider his entire career when deciding on the punishment for any future incidents.

Repeat and non-repeat offender status does play into the punishment as well, but really it has as much to do with calculating forfeited salary as anything else. A non-repeat offender will lose 1 day's salary for every game he's suspended. So last year Keith only lost 5 days worth of salary from his 5 game suspension which is about 2.7% of his annual salary. Had he been a repeat offender, he would've lost 5 games worth of salary which is 6.1% of his annual salary.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
he's back now. that was unbearable. Credit to the team for surviving without him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^Love the honey badger comparisons/nickname, hate the Honey Badger don't care! meme.
5 goals in his last 8 games...
If you only look at the scoresheet that would make him look like an all-star. Unfortunately we watch him throw passes to his partners skates, blow assignments, and generally make a mess of the defensive zone all the time.
I know he was scoring, but I'm actually pretty surprised by that number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->