Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Darryl Sutter in introduction of his new assistants to the team:

Sutter: This is my brother Larry and my other brother Larry.

That was freaking classic! I am still chuckling about it!

Hi I am Daryl, this is my brother Larry and this is my other brother Larry.

So funny!!

Well, DSut is a step above TM in my opinion only in that he can coach on the fly. He is a D first guy but, he is smart enough to bring in assts that are or can be gifted O schemers. Is he our guy? I will hold out hope but he isn't the one coach that I would have hired.

To me this comes down to the length and terms of the deal. If he is a one season wonder then whatever but if he hand him the keys to the kingdom with a 3yr deal then he and DL will be chained together in my mind.

Win and you got a job, lose and its bye bye bye.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
Some of you are so ****ing ridiculous. Voicing anger with the team/franchise is not whining. Sorry that we're not all Stepford fans.

Voicing anger with a team is all good, but I think the comment was directed at people already criticizing Sutter when he hasn't coached a single game for this team yet.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Great, we got an angrier version of Murray. Any ideas on how our next GM is going to be?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is kind of funny that they traded an easy teacher in for a strict drill master teaching the same material, the players have got to be looking in the mirror about now, tough times ahead.

AStammer7*

With Sutter Expect Kings To Trade Youngsters!

I'm going to give him a chance instead of throwing him under the bus like most of you already.

The Sutters have never been known to be to patient with young players as a matter of fact I'd say they have a certain distain for them,just see what sort of team Darryl left the Flames in. What next a trade for 35-36 year old Iginla or maybe Kiprusoff or something really ridiculous. In a season that started with so much hope it looks to be going into the toilet really fast Kings fans. I think this signing of Sutter is a sign that Lombardi's job is in jeopardy. Don't look now Dean a bus may be coming...

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
It is kind of funny that they traded an easy teacher in for a strict drill master teaching the same material, the players have got to be looking in the mirror about now, tough times ahead.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of them were probably feeling guilty for playing TM out of a job (couldn't even get him #500? so harsh) and those that aren't definitely will be in the coming weeks.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

Yup.

I actually like this move. We've seen the team look utterly dominant with Murrays system in place...but then we have seen them too many times come out flat..and unmotivated.

and Murray just patted them on the head gave em a licorice rope and said "Take the positives away from it!" and skipped away.

Now they are going to have a coach hand them their ass when they aren't playing well.

This means 2 things

A) the team implodes because the players don't react well to the coach
B) They act like professionals, get their **** together, and play like we know they can

interesting couple of weeks here

cheap77

Go Kings!
Mar 19, 2011
I was so excited and now I'm just disappointed.. I should have expected this. The team doesn't fit the system. That is why it didn't work with Murray. Now we get back TM2.0

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I was thinking the same thing. Most of them were probably feeling guilty for playing TM out of a job (couldn't even get him #500? so harsh) and those that aren't definitely will be in the coming weeks.

I think the biggest change will be effort.

The players from day one with Sutter will know; half ass#$ stuff and you won't be on the ice at all.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Sutter is a passionate straight forward fiery coach. Something that allot of us want(ed) in our knew leader. He certainly IS NOT TM but he does want a D first system and I am alright with that.

IF IF IF we have DSut as our coach then I am more than willing to give him until the end of the season to see what he can do. If not Bob B is our man.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
The "Defensive Zone Coverage 'The House'" looks eerily familiar...ie Home Plate

Pretty sure that probably 75% of the teams in the league employ this theory...just with different vernacular.

People act like Murray was drastically different from a lot of coaches. He wasn't.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
I think the biggest change will be effort.

The players from day one with Sutter will know; half ass#$ stuff and you won't be on the ice at all.

I wonder if it'll be immediate or if there'll be a tug of war to start. Things could get messy pretty quick if a guy like Drew refuses to buy in.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I was so excited and now I'm just disappointed.. I should have expected this. The team doesn't fit the system. That is why it didn't work with Murray. Now we get back TM2.0

Question to you. And answer honestly.

Have you seen this team in the last 2 years or so play games where they looked completely dominant and talented?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sutter is a passionate straight forward fiery coach. Something that allot of us want(ed) in our knew leader. He certainly IS NOT TM but he does want a D first system and I am alright with that.

IF IF IF we have DSut as our coach then I am more than willing to give him until the end of the season to see what he can do. If not Bob B is our man.

I don't think Sutter would have considered or agreed to an offer that was only till the end of the year.

This is Dean Lombardi's last coach probably. I would expect to see a Two or Three year contract.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if it'll be immediate or if there'll be a tug of war to start. Things could get messy pretty quick if a guy like Drew refuses to buy in.

I am pretty sure Lombardi will make it very clear. You either play for this coach or you don't play at all (at least in LA).

No NHL player wants the rep of (well I am only play for coaches I LIKE). That would be the kiss the death for their career.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

This is my biggest fear with Sutter....everyone else I think will handle it cause they are professionals...

But the attitude of Doughty...I don't see it meshing very well with Sutter.

Think about the kinds of players that were in Calgary. No one was a primadonna. No one ran that locker room but Sutter.

San Jose imploded cause they had Primadonnas. If Doughty buys in this will be great for his professional attitude. If not...well....:help:

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
^ Is this considered whining? :sarcasm:

Only if you don't know the definition of whining.

Is Sutter an unknown? Do those of us opposed to him have nothing on which to base that opposition?

We should be able to hold differing opinions without labeling each other whiners and such.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Except that it is wrong. It's actually Larry, Darryl & Darryl ;)

Yep I knew it but it was still really funny to me. I can actually picture the Sutters together at a press conference dressed in the Larry Daryl Daryl gear attempting to answer Q's from the press about their coaching idea's and what they would do differently.

(reporter) Daryl, what do you see as being the most important change the team needs in order to win?

(Daryl)

Larry?

(Larry)

Larry?

(Larry)

Daryl?

(Daryl)

Could you repeat the question?

And so on.

Corny but I would laugh my broken down butt off at it.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I don't think Sutter would have considered or agreed to an offer that was only till the end of the year.

This is Dean Lombardi's last coach probably. I would expect to see a Two or Three year contract.

I don't think he would either. That was what I was trying to say but should have used a sarcastic emoticon but I just don't like those danged things.

That said, a 2 yr deal would mean that we are on the hook for a year if he sucks the rest of this season and if the terms are low enough then we could still fire him and move along.

I do think that this is DL's last coach though. He is the only man out there that wanted to see DS as a head coach for the past year + so there you go. It either works in great fashion or will cost the King his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad