Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Whoa!! who is saying he was hired?

BAD thread title.... So far the only news we have is they've seek permission to talk to him. Not hire him! I know it's just speculation but a terrible thread title! That's just going to cause drama on this board!

Reported already that Lombardi asked him to be the coach he agreed, it's all paper work now.

Was on the radio.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
most of the posting on here is of the gang mentality variety, why are you surprised ?

Right, it couldn't be because we wanted a departure from the current style of play. Nope, we're all just spouting off because everyone else is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Roger Millions (Sportsnet Calgary Reporter)
Brent Sutter says he would not be surprised at all if DSutter goes to Kings. Adds coaching is something Darryl always wants to do.

Josh Rimer (NHL Home Ice Producer)
I'm hearing plan is for LA Kings to announce tomorrow Darryl Sutter as new coach. and as @jrimercbj says he'll be coaching thursday in CBJ.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Right, it couldn't be because we wanted a departure from the current style of play. Nope, we're all just spouting off because everyone else is.

Did anyone really believe that Lombardi was going to turn over this team to a rookie coach, that may or may not preach defense when his own job may be hanging in the balance?

These players just got what they deserve. Enjoy it Drew! Also, I think Sutter employs a style that calls for a more aggressive forecheck than the one employed by Murray.

Some guys that are used to just getting by may find themselves benched here and there for not doing what they are told.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Sutter is the type of guy to bench a guy if he isn't playing well, something Murray didn't do much...well, too Ethan Moreau last week.

How is he with tough guys? Will Clifford and Westgarth see ice? Will Matt Greene finally remove those cemented on gloves?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think we needed a hard ass coach. And this will work for this team for a while. Not a long-term solution by any stretch but I'm okay with the hiring, although not particularly excited by it.

The lack of discipline on this team is going to end from game #1 with Sutter in charge.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Well I'll give him in shot... But I'm not thrilled about this at all! I'm not opposed to playing defensive hockey, in fact I think it's a good idea. I just want this supposedly great top 6 and great PMD to generate more the 2 freakin goals! We'll see... I've been wrong before.

tantrum4*

So you don't get what you want, but you don't even know you have yet and you start complaining? I'm glad I don't have kids.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sutter is the type of guy to bench a guy if he isn't playing well, something Murray didn't do much...well, too Ethan Moreau last week.

How is he with tough guys? Will Clifford and Westgarth see ice? Will Matt Greene finally remove those cemented on gloves?

Don't worry Johnny, Sutter loves tough hockey. Had Grimson, Marchment, Kimble, Russell in Chicago. Had Marchment, Thornton, Nolan, McSorley, Stern, Harvey, Nazarov in San Jose. In Calgary he had Oliwa, McCarty, Simon, Montador, Boughner... he likes to have some toughness in his lineup.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely fits the mold of like Murray but not Murray, which is all DL will ever hire as coach for as long as he's GM.

Fine with me. The team needed a change and needs a hard-ass. Done and done.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Will he bring his own assistants:

"Paul Baxter was his assistant in both Chicago and San Jose. Rich Preston was his assistant in Chicago, San Jose and Calgary.

Baxter has been out of the NHL since 2003 and has been unemployed as a coach since. Preston aka Mumbles is the Head Coach and GM of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

So I would expect no one from his past as a coach."

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Did anyone really believe that Lombardi was going to turn over this team to a rookie coach, that may or may not preach defense when his own job may be hanging in the balance?

These players just got what they deserve. Enjoy it Drew!

Exactly.

Me and Herby have been harping on this since Terry was in trouble. The Players sealed their doom.

Wasn't there a player poll a while back, and Terry was right at the top for (Easy coach to play for).

Well Arts and Crafts time is over Kings players. You have no one to blame but yourself.

qBIRD

Jul 4, 2010
It's definitely gonna be Sutter. I'm gonna give him a chance here in L.A.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I'd rather have someone younger and/or with a Cup, but I'll wait to see how this pans out. Dean is on his last limb so I hope he chose wisely. It is good that Sutter will hold the guys responsible if they're playing like crap or have a crappy attitude. Good luck, Mr. Doughty!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad