Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Will Sutter bring in his own assistants?

I'd be surprised if he did right away. Existing coaches will help him acclimate, he can pick their brains to see what issues were, etc. He'll want to bring in his own guys down the road, though.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Where is confirmination?

It isn't up yet, it is still in speculation, but Helene Elliott just said on the radio that the Kings have asked and Sutter has agreed and it is a matter of paperwork now. Hammond confirmed that we asked him to be our coach as well. It is all but done.

I doubt there will be an official announcement before the Bruins game, I would think it would be a press conference tomorrow, but who knows...

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
It isn't up yet, it is still in speculation, but Helene Elliott just said on the radio that the Kings have asked and Sutter has agreed and it is a matter of paperwork now. Hammond confirmed that we asked him to be our coach as well. It is all but done.

I doubt there will be an official announcement before the Bruins game, but who knows...

Ah okay, thanks. Makes sense.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA

I doubt there will be an official announcement before the Bruins game, I would think it would be a press conference tomorrow, but who knows...

As long as you know that your job as a moderator is pending on the confirmation.

tantrum4*

So, every Calgary player and fan I've talked to or read quotes from has nothing but great things to stay and tons of respect for Darryl Sutter as a coach, yet Kings fans already want him fired before he's coached one game or even said one word to the media? Can none of you think for yourselves or are you worried the other posters on here will make fun of you if you don't complain about something?

Captain Mittens*

Bert is our new coach? Are Ernie and Oscar the grouch going to be the assistants?

Medium Rare*

I think Sutter is getting unfair criticism as a coach. People look at the Flames lack of scoring under him and fail to realize they had absolutely zero offensive threats (after Iginla) while he was the coach.

I would even argue that Sutter got more offense than expected out of several players. For example he turned Shean Donovan into a 40 point forward.

I would even say Sutter's system is not just a trap like many think. He prefers players play a high tempo/pressure forecheck. He yes he definitely preaches defensive reliability.

I think it should be noted that the Kings have a much more talented forward group than the Flames had under Sutter.

I can see guys like Kopitar, Richards and Stoll really excelling under Darryl

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Can't wait to see how Drew reacts to being Grind up, and spit out by Sutter. This coach will at least make or break Drew.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm intrigued by this hire. Funny story, the Kings were pursuing Sutter in 1992 but the Blackhawks denied the Kings permission and promoted him to head coach to replace Mike Keenan. The Kings ended up hiring Barry Melrose.
http://articles.philly.com/1992-06-11/sports/26031160_1_blackhawks-associate-coach-police-officer
The Chicago Blackhawks scheduled a news conference for this afternoon at which they were expected to name Darryl Sutter head coach.

Sutter, currently an associate coach with Chicago, would replace current coach Mike Keenan, the former Flyers coach who was expected to remain as the Blackhawks' general manager.

Sutter's scheduled interview for the Los Angeles Kings' coaching job was canceled yesterday when the Blackhawks denied the Kings permission to talk to Sutter.

Rod Buskas*

So, every Calgary player and fan I've talked to or read quotes from has nothing but great things to stay and tons of respect for Darryl Sutter as a coach, yet Kings fans already want him fired before he's coached one game or even said one word to the media? Can none of you think for yourselves or are you worried the other posters on here will make fun of you if you don't complain about something?

most of the posting on here is of the gang mentality variety, why are you surprised ?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Looks like Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, etc. will all be getting a new tattoo on their *****. I wonder what size shoe Sutter wears.

Dean is pissed at the players and this is the result. There will be no more grandfatherly talks with the head coach now.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can't wait to see how Drew reacts to being Grind up, and spit out by Sutter. This coach will at least make or break Drew.

Time to find out what this kid is really made of. Too bad it's after he signed a $56M deal.

tantrum4*

Whoa!! who is saying he was hired?

BAD thread title.... So far the only news we have is they've seek permission to talk to him. Not hire him! I know it's just speculation but a terrible thread title! That's just going to cause drama on this board!

We've talked, he's agreed. Just waiting for the announcement now.

Rod Buskas*

BAD thread title.... So far the only news we have is they've seek permission to talk to him. Not hire him! I know it's just speculation but a terrible thread title! That's just going to cause drama on this board!

apparently mods are above the law

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
An article on Sutter and his coaching style from 1995 after he stepped down as head coach of the Hawks to tend to his family:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-06-20/sports/9506200100_1_darryl-sutter-sutter-family-hawks
Darryl Sutter was the Blackhawks' coach for only three years. But he leaves behind a legacy of a strong defensive coach who got the most out of his talent.

"He should look back on his career as a coach and be very proud," said Steve Smith, a seasoned veteran who was on three Stanley Cup championship teams with the Edmonton Oilers. "There's no doubt that Darryl Sutter was one of the hardest-working coaches I've ever seen."

Said Eric Weinrich, another Hawks defenseman who had a strong season and playoffs under Sutter:"He was a good tactician who always had us pretty well prepared for different opponents. I think he put together one of the best, if not the best, defensive systems in the league . . . with in-your-face forechecking and getting us to get the jump right at the start."

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

I think your statement adds to the drama further :P Helene Elliott of the LA Times said that he is our new coach, it has been agreed upon and is being finalized now. She didn't skip a beat, said that Sutter is the head coach of the Los Angeles Kings.

apparently mods are above the law

The LA Times just said he was the coach...

null33

Aug 15, 2007
most of the posting on here is of the gang mentality variety, why are you surprised ?

It's easy to be negative. Plus it feels good.

And it's fun to head out into the night wielding pitchforks and torches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad