Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Sutter is probably very familiar with a lot of players on the Kings like he said through juniors, NHL and tournaments in Canada, etc....Like hearing that.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Very interesting man. I disagree with you guys with him being emotional. Bringing emotion and intensity are two very different things. Sutter brings intensity and a solid work ethic, which is exactly what I think the Kings need. Don't need an emotional coach, that will only get us into trouble. Mind over matter.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This may surprise some of you, but if you look at the average Goals For and Goals Against of the entire league, they both stack up evenly at an average of 2.73 GF and GA per game. So Sutter's assessment of this being a 3-2 league is pretty spot on. Not that I'd like to see the Kings limit themselves to 3 goals (which is an achievement nowadays).

Timmaugh

Jan 7, 2007
Watching the press conference almost put me to sleep. Sutter was completely emotionless. I felt like I was watching a person with special needs. Also, what is with the "Peace" at the end of Sutter's questions? Was he high, drunk, or just plain special.:help:

Sydor25

LA Kings
This may surprise some of you, but if you look at the average Goals For and Goals Against of the entire league, they both stack up evenly at an average of 2.73 GF and GA per game. So Sutter's assessment of this being a 3-2 league is pretty spot on. Not that I'd like to see the Kings limit themselves to 3 goals (which is an achievement nowadays).

Except the Kings are closer to 2 goals for and against. Kings are on the wrong end of those '3-2" games. Race to three has been around for a couple of season, the Kings are just closer to the 2 than the 3.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Watching the press conference almost put me to sleep. Sutter was completely emotionless. I felt like I was watching a person with special needs. Also, what is with the "Peace" at the end of Sutter's questions? Was he high, drunk, or just plain special.:help:

He's a product of Lennon :laugh:

Beatle17

Jan 14, 2009

Just some info on Sutter in case you and the Kings fans don't know, Darryl has a son with Down Syndrome so the "special needs" comments get old quickly.

He talks to the media like he does because he doesn't put up with stupid or assinine questions from the press. If they ask him a knowledgeable question, or a good question that let's him expand on the game with his own words he is fine.

If they ask him a stupid question, or state their own opinion in a question form, he will ignore them, and for years (see Eric Francis in Calgary). Francis asked a question that was more a statement of what he knew and nobody on the Flames has talked to Francis since.

I am a Flyers fan and I loved how Darryl talked with the press. Basically along the lines of a Bill Romanowski statement "90% of the guys in the this room don't know what they are talking about".

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Except the Kings are closer to 2 goals for and against. Kings are on the wrong end of those '3-2" games. Race to three has been around for a couple of season, the Kings are just closer to the 2 than the 3.

That's the problem. If they can get one more goal it is going to be enough to win a lot of games. They're limiting their opponents as well, it's that elusive third goal that has been the golden chalice that the Kings are chasing after.

Nex06

Mar 7, 2011
Just some info on Sutter in case you and the Kings fans don't know, Darryl has a son with Down Syndrome so the "special needs" comments get old quickly.

He talks to the media like he does because he doesn't put up with stupid or assinine questions from the press. If they ask him a knowledgeable question, or a good question that let's him expand on the game with his own words he is fine.

If they ask him a stupid question, or state their own opinion in a question form, he will ignore them, and for years (see Eric Francis in Calgary). Francis asked a question that was more a statement of what he knew and nobody on the Flames has talked to Francis since.
I figured that out from his interviews. Some people think he doesn't say much, but I think he does. Some people think he has no emotions, but I actually saw plenty of emotions during that interview. Sincere emotions. Some people call him stupid, but that is because they are not able to differentiate between being awkward at communicating his thoughts to the media and being stupid. Most of them would probably look more stupid if they were put in front of 20 journalists and couple of cameras.

I am a Flyers fan and I loved how Darryl talked with the press. Basically along the lines of a Bill Romanowski statement "90% of the guys in the this room don't know what they are talking about".
Media needs some pushing and pulling. :)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That's the problem. If they can get one more goal it is going to be enough to win a lot of games. They're limiting their opponents as well, it's that elusive third goal that has been the golden chalice that the Kings are chasing after.

And that extra goal is there on the roster. If the guys on this team were averaging per game what they averaged last year per game(and we're not talking career year numbers last year), that's an extra 15 or so goals, which would have won the Kings a few more games this season.

It feels like the first game of the season tomorrow. Excited to see Sutter's first game against the Ducks. Let's hope the Kings are the next St. Louis Blues and go on a tear.

I thought you were concerned with offense. St. Louis is 18th in 5 on 5 scoring and 1st in 5 on 5 GA. Sounds like Terry Murray when he had the team firing on all cylinders last year and they finished 17th in 5 on 5 scoring and 9th in 5 on 5 GA. Now we long for the Terry Murray's glory days with the Kings?

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Yup, Kompon, soak up the next week in a half, because from what it sounds like you'll be gone after the holidays.
“First off, with the existing staff, I think Johnny (Stevens) has done an awesome job, helping the team through this. I was really proud of him. With Billy Ranford, I know him from the past, and he’s from up in our area and does a lot of work. Right now, we just want to focus on — especially being close to the holidays — I just want to focus on this group. That’s the best way to put it, I think. I’m satisfied. Those guys are familiar with the team, and that really helps.’’

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/12/21/lombardi-sutter-press-conference-transcript/#more-18873

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Interesting quote by Greener.

"There's no looking back," Kings alternate captain Matt Greene said. "You can't have a room divided, with guys who supported Terry and guys who are sour that Darryl is here. You have to get behind Darryl now because he's the guy who is leading us, he's the guy who is here. If you're not, then it's not just going to be Terry who is gone, it's going to be other guys going out the door as well. Nobody wants that.

"Everybody wants to see if we can win with this group. Guys want to win with this group. And I want to stay here. I think everybody does. So we've got to get behind Darryl right away, and if that's what you guys are calling it, a new voice that‚s going to give us a push, then yeah, I definitely hope that's what it's going to take."

http://ht.ly/878si

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Interesting quote by Greener.

http://ht.ly/878si

From my observation of their on ice play and just their body language and their somber reaction after losses, it was apparent to me that there were a number of players (namely the younger ones) who were sulking and not "manning up." At the very least, you know Sutter is going to have them "man up" and not accept a self depreciating attitude.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
From my observation of their on ice play and just their body language and their somber reaction after losses, it was apparent to me that there were a number of players (namely the younger ones) who were sulking and not "manning up." At the very least, you know Sutter is going to have them "man up" and not accept a self depreciating attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised if some players thought they successfully played their way out of a restrictive system and was hoping to inherit a different system under a fresh, young coach. Now they find themselves in a similar system, only they now have to be held accountable to play well in it. Maybe this might produce the kind of toughness and professionalism that would be good going forward.

Last edited:

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010
from Mayor's Manor, quoting DL: "More on expectations - I still go back to the Detroit example, when they were building, there was that period where they were struggling and they were going to trade (Steve) Yzerman for (Alexei) Yashin. It was like, 'Oooh, this ain't working.' They stuck it out, got through it and boom - you're culture is in place and everything else. So, this process of dealing with expectations, any good team is going to have to go through it and it isn't going to be easy. But, you have to stick with it. Again, part of getting through it is getting an identity. Back to basics. It's not complicated...in the end this is still a simple game."

This is why I support Lombardi. This is why I don't want Brown traded "because he can't score, or doesn't hit enough, or whatever" The expression on Brown's face over the past two weeks and the passion he and Kopi showed on the ice was plain to see. This whole thing really burned them. And now they get to turn the corner. This whole team gets the opportunity to turn the corner.

Very hopeful after Sutter's press conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad