Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kompon is on the ice today along with Bill Ranford, John Stevens, and Darryl Sutter.

Just have to see what happens. Sutter can just as easily pick his brain and learn about the team while he seeks his own replacements or he can be auditioning them for their own jobs by the end of the year. All-in-all, I don't expect Kompon to make it to the beginning of the 2012 season.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Komption is left over from the Crawford era. TM did him a favor and kept him on.

Seriously... He can't survive two coaching changes, especially since the offense has been in a decline since Crawford left, it obviously wasn't Kompon's genius that had us scoring at such a high clip. Either that or he can't adapt his style to be compatible with a two way game. He has to go. Ranford and Stevens have done their jobs. Kompon sticks out like a sore thumb.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Seriously... He can't survive two coaching changes, especially since the offense has been in a decline since Crawford left, it obviously wasn't Kompon's genius that had us scoring at such a high clip. Either that or he can't adapt his style to be compatible with a two way game. He has to go. Ranford and Stevens have done their jobs. Kompon sticks out like a sore thumb.

I blame the players for the putrid Power play. Lets face it Terry Murray didn't have the stones to bench anyone. They were not going to remove our star players off the PP.

Jack is always saying how just shooting is not always the right Hockey move on the PP.

Well waiting so it gets blocked or the D gets on you isn't either(Jack and Drew are huge problems so far on the PP).. I am eager to see how Sutter handles the non movement by some players on the PP.

The PP was fine when Richards ran it, Cause he freakin moved his feet.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I blame the players for the putrid Power play. Lets face it Terry Murray didn't have the stones to bench anyone. They were not going to remove our star players off the PP.

Jack is always saying how just shooting is not always the right Hockey move on the PP.

Well waiting so it gets blocked or the D gets on you isn't either(Jack and Drew are huge problems so far on the PP).. I am eager to see how Sutter handles the non movement by some players on the PP.

So true...

Jul 31, 2005
CA

If you have Al MacInnis or Sheldon Souray having stationary dmen on the point on the PP isn't a bad idea and it scares the hell out of the goalies. When you have Doughty and Stoll on the PP, standing still and either firing wide or dancing on the blue line it's a PK's coach & goalies dream come true. This is yet another area where the coaches of the Kings need to adapt to the talent that is on the roster. The Kings need to attack the back door on the PP, letting the D pinch down low since Doughty & Johnson are good skaters and the centers are very responsible defensively. Kompon? 1 play, 1 strategy, if it doesn't work the Kings lose. Let them play!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If you have Al MacInnis or Sheldon Souray having stationary dmen on the point on the PP isn't a bad idea and it scares the hell out of the goalies. When you have Doughty and Stoll on the PP, standing still and either firing wide or dancing on the blue line it's a PK's coach & goalies dream come true. This is yet another area where the coaches of the Kings need to adapt to the talent that is on the roster. The Kings need to attack the back door on the PP, letting the D pinch down low since Doughty & Johnson are good skaters and the centers are very responsible defensively. Kompon? 1 play, 1 strategy, if it doesn't work the Kings lose. Let them play!

What if Kompon is telling them to do that, and they are not? I have a hard time believing ANY coach wants the Kings to be so stationary on the PP. I have zero NHL or Hockey playing experience, and I can see they need to move on the PP more.

You are telling me a Professional Coach in the NHL can't see that? The more likely scenario is the players are tuning Him out, just like they did Terry (Got comfortable cause they were not going to get benched).

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I like some of what I'm hearing from the players:
http://twitter.com/#!/curtiszupke
Stoll said Sutter told them he wants them to use their speed more, play with a chip on their shoulder and be better at home.
Stoll on Sutter's meeting w/ the team: "You can see and feel that intensity right away. I think everybody in the room felt that way."
Matt Greene: Darryl's the polar opposite of Terry (Murray) ... Darryl’s more emotional. It will be different for a lot of guys...

Sydor25

LA Kings
What if Kompon is telling them to do that, and they are not? I have a hard time believing ANY coach wants the Kings to be so stationary on the PP.

Then Kompon should have been fired a long time ago.

If the players aren't listening, then what is the purpose of the coach? Isn't the biggest job of a coach to get the players to believe in their message and follow direction? I don't remember Kopitar or Doughty getting benched from the PP. Stoll was still used on the point even with all of his missed shots.

Why not put Mitchell, Scuderi or Greene on the PP unit to show some accountability? If Doughty, Johnson and Stoll aren't doing what they are told, then take them off the PP. Same with Kopitar.

Ice time is the best motivation that a coach has at his disposal.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
What if Kompon is telling them to do that, and they are not? I have a hard time believing ANY coach wants the Kings to be so stationary on the PP. I have zero NHL or Hockey playing experience, and I can see they need to move on the PP more.

You are telling me a Professional Coach in the NHL can't see that?

Yes, yes I am. There is no way Doughty and Johnson want to stand on the blue line, it hurts their offensive output and handcuffs them. Neither of those guys have the cannon you need to score goals from the blue line standing still in today's NHL. Stoll, on the other hand, he may love shooting high and wide and then checking his stick flex as though it's the $250 things fault.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Then Kompon should have been fired a long time ago.

If the players aren't listening, then what is the purpose of the coach? Isn't the biggest job of a coach to get the players to believe in their message and follow direction? I don't remember Kopitar or Doughty getting benched from the PP. Stoll was still used on the point even with all of his missed shots.

Why not put Mitchell, Scuderi or Greene on the PP unit to show some accountability? If Doughty, Johnson and Stoll aren't doing what they are told, then take them off the PP. Same with Kopitar.

Ice time is the best motivation that a coach has at his disposal.

And Terry didn't use that Tool(Ice Time). I am Eager to see Sutter break the Bad habits the players have.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Is Greene whining?

This is exciting, where I agree with it or not!

No, the opposite. With the type of game Greene plays Sutter is the perfect fit for him. Greene is probably one of the few players the Kings have that plays with an edge like Sutter did. I think Greene is saying very nicely that some King players aren't going to like the new drill instructor cause the party is over. No more Mr.Nice Guy.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I wonder what are some of the first few words Sutter told Kopi.

Sutter " Kopitar you are the size of a house with some speed, USE IT DAMN IT".

LOL:amazed:

Sutter is going to push Kopi I like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad