Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

Sydor25

LA Kings
I thought you were concerned with offense. St. Louis is 18th in 5 on 5 scoring and 1st in 5 on 5 GA. Sounds like Terry Murray when he had the team firing on all cylinders last year and they finished 17th in 5 on 5 scoring and 9th in 5 on 5 GA. Now we long for the Terry Murray's glory days with the Kings?

I was alluding to their win/loss record since hiring Hitchcock.

Scoring has been the biggest concern, but I'm willing to give Sutter the rest of the season to see what he can do to get more from the roster. I still believe in the roster.

I will never long for the Murray days. Some of the most boring hockey I've seen from the Kings.

I was alluding to their win/loss record since hiring Hitchcock.

Scoring has been the biggest concern, but I'm willing to give Sutter the rest of the season to see what he can do to get more from the roster. I still believe in the roster.

I will never long for the Murray days. Some of the most boring hockey I've seen from the Kings.

My point is Hitchcock employs a defensive system like Murray and from all accounts so does Sutter. I too will Sutter a chance but it doesn't appear he has much of track record in the way of offense so if the win/loss record improves but the goal scoring doesn't (see St. Louis' which are comparable to the Kings under Murray last year), what exactly have they accomplished?

Sydor25

LA Kings
My point is Hitchcock employs a defensive system like Murray and from all accounts so does Sutter. I too will Sutter a chance but it doesn't appear he has much of track record in the way of offense so if the win/loss record improves but the goal scoring doesn't (see St. Louis' which are comparable to the Kings under Murray last year), what exactly have they accomplished?

Getting rid of Murray is a good move. I don't agree with the hiring of Sutter, but he has done more with less than Murray. The roster is good enough to finish as a top 10 offense and defense, they just need the push to get there. Murray was never going to get it, I think Sutter can.

If the Kings improve on offense and just miss the playoffs, I think AEG will give them another year. If they finish well out of the playoffs and finish close to 30th in offense, AEG may dismiss everyone.

I'm excited to see this team with a strong coach. On paper, this could be one of the strongest lineups that Sutter has coached.

Getting rid of Murray is a good move. I don't agree with the hiring of Sutter, but he has done more with less than Murray. The roster is good enough to finish as a top 10 offense and defense, they just need the push to get there. Murray was never going to get it, I think Sutter can.

If the Kings improve on offense and just miss the playoffs, I think AEG will give them another year. If they finish well out of the playoffs and finish close to 30th in offense, AEG may dismiss everyone.

I'm excited to see this team with a strong coach. On paper, this could be one of the strongest lineups that Sutter has coached.

My feeling is that he should be able to get more out of the roster just based on his history of holding players accountable. That I'm all for. I guess I just don't see how he is going to generate much more offense out of the team than Murray did employing a defensive system. I have said and will say again that if he is able to get the team in the upper 2/3's of scoring which Terry Murray did last year and isn't really a stretch to think he could accomplish that, the team should make the playoffs. For that reason alone, I think Sutter should be able to get the team in the playoffs this year and if he doesn't, I agree that they need to look elsewhere and maybe clean house. I just think at the end of the day he isn't going to improve the offense that much given he has a history of being a defensive coach. Like Terry Murray when he was hired, Sutter hasn't coached in a long time so hopefully he recognizes the game has changed since he has been gone and is willing to try new things.

Time will tell and I give everyone a chance because I'm a sweetheart so hopefully he is what the Kings need. I'm definitely not looking forward to his ugly face on the bench.

Sydor25

LA Kings
I like that Sutter has already put speed on each of the top three lines. Richardson and Lewis get a new lease in life and it is up to them to seize the opportunity. Sutter will demand effort form everyone, he won't play favorites. This is something the Kings need.

Looks like Sutter is excited to be back coaching. Getting one more goal from them per game shouldn't take a drastic change of the X's and O's. Just some tweaks to the forechecking and better positioning in the offensive zone. Sutter will get more effort from the team than Murray was ever able too. Whether that translates to more offense remains to be seen.

Go Kings Go!

Kingurentai

Jul 19, 2010
Calling Bob "hall of famer" was pretty damn boss of him. I imagined him as sort of dorky but he has his own Canadian redneck swagger lol

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
get ready for some changes and...

He's a fan of the Nixon administration.
richardnixon-flickrcommons1.jpg

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This may surprise some of you, but if you look at the average Goals For and Goals Against of the entire league, they both stack up evenly at an average of 2.73 GF and GA per game. So Sutter's assessment of this being a 3-2 league is pretty spot on. Not that I'd like to see the Kings limit themselves to 3 goals (which is an achievement nowadays).

That happens every year. For each goal a team scores, another team is giving up that goal. It's impossible for there to be more goals scored than goals allowed in total throughout the NHL, so the goals for/goals against NHL average will always be the same.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That happens every year. For each goal a team scores, another team is giving up that goal. It's impossible for there to be more goals scored than goals allowed in total throughout the NHL, so the goals for/goals against NHL average will always be the same.

What's interesting to me is how identical the numbers are from this season to last season:

As of today, the NHL average for GF and GA is:
GF: 2.738333333
GA: 2.735666667

Last seasons GF-GA average in the NHL:
GF: 2.733
GA: 2.732

Not much has changed in terms of the league average in goals. Averaging around three goals (or more) is going to give any team the greater probability to win games.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Hearing that Sutter plans on using Murray's system is disappointing, but it will be interesting to see what kind of results he can get from that system.

The Kings have by far the lowest shooting percentage in the NHL at 6.9%. If Darryl encourages the team to look for better shooting opportunities instead of throwing everything at the net like Terry wanted, the offensive could improve substantially IMO.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Hearing that Sutter plans on using Murray's system is disappointing, but it will be interesting to see what kind of results he can get from that system.

The Kings have by far the lowest shooting percentage in the NHL at 6.9%. If Darryl encourages the team to look for better shooting opportunities instead of throwing everything at the net like Terry wanted, the offensive could improve substantially IMO.

You cant expect too much with the system to change midseason. The only real thing to change is that shot mentality Murray harped on.

Ron*

I love what he told the CBC guy in one of the videos, when asked if he was going to hang them up...

He said he is already preparing for training camp! :laugh:

Love this guy. That should put the whole "Daryl Sutter rather shovel **** than coach the Kings* next season" rumors to bed.

*A team he has coached to two Stanley Cups in three seasons. Who in their right mind would actually leave a position like that? Unsubstantiated rumors are to be ignored.

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
I love what he told the CBC guy in one of the videos, when asked if he was going to hang them up...

He said he is already preparing for training camp! :laugh:

Love this guy. That should put the whole "Daryl Sutter rather shovel **** than coach the Kings* next season" rumors to bed.

*A team he has coached to two Stanley Cups in three seasons. Who in their right mind would actually leave a position like that? Unsubstantiated rumors are to be ignored.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I remember during his interview with Quick after we won our first Cup (feels so good to have to specify which Cup now!!) he was asked something along the lines of how did it feel to step in mid season and end up coaching them through winning their first championship, and he was grinning as much as we've ever seen him do so and said "these guys are young, we're going to go after another".

Quick looked at him like he was slightly crazy to go there already (as in, first Cup ever, can we please just celebrate this mother****ing team right here), but Sutter saw something/cultivated something in this group where they know the opportunity that they have, they trust and believe in each other, and are willing to fight through the tough, gritty, tight games it takes to get there.

I would have loved to have pulled Sutter 2012 aside and said "psst you get another in 2 years" and enjoy his reaction. He has been a crucial part of our development into what we are today. I don't think he's going anywhere while we are still contenders.

Besides, raking up the hay and tending to the horses will be more fun with a handful of Championship Rings to weigh his hand down ;)

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
As a Yankee fan, I see a lot of Joe Torre parallels with Daryl Sutter. Both know how to manage their teams while being low key and focusing on the goals. Plus both had mixed previous track records and were pulled back into coaching after some time away.

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Stellar veteran core (seriously, Williams and Mitchell are field marshalls, Brown is bout it, and Kopitar is brilliant) and a talented forward group who were already coached to play a heavy, structured game?

Just a great fit. I know everyone talks about "winning culture" but damn, the Kings have it.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I was happy with the hiring of DS from the start and only believed that had he not succeeded that he could have taken down DL with him which would be too bad because of our system depth. All of which has turned out exactly as I had outlined back in my post back in 11 with the exception so far of Kozun having played in the NHL. Maybe this coming season he will and that will complete the transition from where we were with these kids in 11 to today.

I had never questioned DS until this year when we were struggling and he had said "there's no room in hockey for anger". Taken out of context it is just an incorrect thing but put into a bigger picture he was right and I was bummed at myself for losing a little faith in a player/coach that I have held in such high regard.

Well his ability to coach on the fly was what I saw was one of his greatest attributes back then and remains so to this day. DS will remain coach of the Kings until he longer wants to and the same will more than likely go for DL.

I think we are in the best situation in the NHL and wouldn't trade any aspect of our team with any other aspect of any others.

Our system is ridiculously deep today. We even have a couple of potentially elite level talented sniper types in our system to go with our continued amazing depth in nets and on D. Were character and grit are concerned we are overloaded so much so that we moved Nic Deslauriers (who did great for himself on Buffalo and is already penciled in on their 3rd line for next season) and an elite if not THE elite prospect where grit is concerned in Fasching to Buff for yet another big strong talented 2nd pairing D and two second round picks this past season.

We have Ontario, Manchowder and the Kings along with our hands in several developmental systems around the world to assist us in our assessing and developing prospects all at the top of the game.

But what ends up overlooked or considered last but is so critical to our overall success is that we have passionate, intelligent and dedicated ownership who also happen to be fans of the game and the team that they own.

That is what is sticking with me after winning the cup.

From literally just walking in without a ticket almost every night at the forum to watch the Kings score 4 or 5 goals and lose by giving up 6 or more with at best 7k people and no such thing as an actual developmental system to where we are today is just staggering.

There was something said that I found stunning about DS on CBC where they said that he had surpassed two of the greatest coaches of the modern era in playoff elimination victories and something else. I don't remember and what it was isn't as important as the fact that he was mentioned not only to be better than two of the greatest coaches of all time but also that he has just done what so many thought was the impossible.

It is a great life to be a Kings fan and I am still just shocked that things are so great for us today and tomorrow. If this isn't perfection then I can't wait to find out what is. Here's to another 27Jazzhands15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->