Kings News: [Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

The Panthers also hired a new, young coach who everyone has been talking about the past 1-2 seasons as a potential solid NHL coach.

And other teams have done the same without similar results. Conversely, teams like Boston and Chicago have won the Cup with retreads after having been fairly poor teams prior to that. Again, there is no simple formula here.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Bruins last year and Chicago the year they won were loaded with so much depth everyone picked them to win the Cup before the season started...they had now 1st liners Versteeg and Ladd on the 3rd lines occasionally.

The Bruins and Hawks didn't have an overpaid and underachieving Stoll, a 20 year old in Clifford, an often healthy scratch in Richardson, a 1st round bust in Lewis and Trent "I couldn't find a job this summer;" and Colin Fraser didn't even dress for the Hawks, on there bottom 6.

That is Lombardi's fault.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
The Bruins last year and Chicago the year they won were loaded with so much depth everyone picked them to win the Cup before the season started...they had now 1st liners Versteeg and Ladd on the 3rd lines occasionally.

The Bruins and Hawks didn't have an overpaid and underachieving Stoll, a 20 year old in Clifford, an often healthy scratch in Richardson, a 1st round bust in Lewis and Trent "I couldn't find a job this summer;" and Colin Fraser didn't even dress for the Hawks, on there bottom 6.

That is Lombardi's fault.

Everyone picked the Bruins to win the Cup before the season started? Really? I believe it was the team that they were facing that everyone picked to win the Cup.
Plus Chicago wasn't a pre-season favorite either. The Pens and Caps were pre-season favorites.

And what about in 08/09 when Chicago fired their coach 4 games in, hired a re-tread and he took them to the Conference Final? How many people had picked them to do that?

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of analysts had the Kings in the conference finals prior to the start of the year. They saw something in the roster that is very much underachieving by most accounts.

EDIT: And none of these guys have the Bruins in the conference final or SCF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2010/news/story?id=5647799

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut

You mean like how many picked the Kings to win the cup this year or at very at least the west?

Remember after the 1st month when the Boston Bruins were dead last in the league? Remember when the Washington Capitals got off to a 7-0-0 start?

Relax.

Are you off a bumpy start? Absolutely!

but we still have 49 games to play, and were only 5 point out of being first place in our division...

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Some of the comments on there are priceless.

Some great ones.

"A face only a mother could love"

"What a horrid photo its like a mask you'd find on a halloween website"

"I can't believe the Kings would snub their cultural roots and hire a coach who can't even speak Hebrew"

"To my eye , Darryl Sutter resembles the face of the kangaroo who used to frequent the old Bugs Bunny cartoons"

"Its ok he's a yeller because I hear Donut boy is a screamer"

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I used to think of Lombardi as a very "shrewd" GM, he would never make as many moves as local GM's like Murray or Wilson and when he did they were usually good, BUT recently he has, and it shows, because they haven't been good.

Penner, Moreau, Smyth.....Not good.

I beg to differ. he was productive the entire time he was here, as well as provided much needed leadership to a young team.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don't know maybe I'm just venting, I just feel like the past 3-4 decisions Lombardi have made have really gotten to me. I didn't even bother to watch the Kings-Wings game, I knew what would happen. I haven't missed a game since I became a fan in 1992. I am just emotionally drained by this team, this GM, these players...etc.

sjmay*

I used to think of Lombardi as a very "shrewd" GM, he would never make as many moves as local GM's like Murray or Wilson and when he did they were usually good, BUT recently he has, and it shows, because they haven't been good.

You are talking out of your ass,

First of all, Smyth was a good deal,
Second of all, you completely ignore the Richards deal,
You completely ignore signing Scuderi, and Mitchell,

Seriously bud? Give up the hate, it's bad for ya...

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I don't know maybe I'm just venting, I just feel like the past 3-4 decisions Lombardi have made have really gotten to me. I didn't even bother to watch the Kings-Wings game, I knew what would happen. I haven't missed a game since I became a fan in 1992. I am just emotionally drained by this team, this GM, these players...etc.

I can understand Moreau being a bad choice, but after 30 games he's gone.

Richards was a great deal. It looks like you're the only person in pages who calls this a bad deal for the Kings. We had to make a move.

Penner? Yeah he's a slug. I'm not missing Teubert or our 1st round pick from last year though.

Nex06

Mar 7, 2011
Another useless stat, but let's play... :)

Only one coach in NHL history has won 100+ games with 4 different clubs. At the moment two coaches who have best chance to join that club are Ken Hitchcock (needs 90 or so more wins with St. Louis) and Darryl Sutter (needs 100 wins with Kings).

Who is going to get there first, Sutter, Hitchcock or neither?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
we shall see. i think it will be next season someplace in the March - May timeframe, whether they make the playoffs or another early round exit.

if this tanks i would rather see it sooner than later. my biggest fear is DL is going to make some stupid moves trying to save his job, that will kill us down the road for years.

This is the second time you've suggested DL will do some boneheaded, save his ass, type of trades and I don't understand where this is coming from. He didn't do it in SJ, why here?

As others have said, where's Richards? And if you include Penner and Smyth, why not Gagne?

Smyth was dealt out for reasons that are way past DL's controls and he was pigeone holed in what he could do. I don't blame him. Moreau is a 4th line scrub that didn't work out. I didn't like the signing either, but whatever, he's a depth piece that didn't pan out. No big loss.

Penner I agree with, but every GM makes mistakes. While I was very upset he made that trade, I was glad to see him step out of his comfort zone and actually made a bold move.

I'm not missing Teubert or our 1st round pick from last year though.
I am. Why should we have wasted assets. Teubert will be a solid NHLer (Steve Staios like) and a 1st is hardly something to just toss away.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This was probably already posted but I was pretty happy to hear Stevens is being kept on thru the end of the season. No mention of Kompon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=607448

It would make sense. No reason to point out Stevens as staying and not mention his partner Kompon. I think either Dean or Sutter recognizes that the offense needs new leadership behind the bench, not just a new head coach.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
It would make sense. No reason to point out Stevens as staying and not mention his partner Kompon. I think either Dean or Sutter recognizes that the offense needs new leadership behind the bench, not just a new head coach.

Kompon is on the ice today along with Bill Ranford, John Stevens, and Darryl Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad