Hamilton II: The City, The League, and The Coliseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
if the Leafs were even a decent team, would a 2nd team even be talked about in Toronto? which is why i think fans would jump ship from Markham back to TO if they magically get their heads out of their butts..

Hamilton would have always asked for a team.. regardless of Leafs winning or not

I look at Los Angeles and the NBA as a good example for why two hockey teams in the GTA probably would work. Even when the Clippers were the clownshoes of the NBA for years and years and the Lakers were a consistently good team winning championships, the Clippers were still one of the more profitable teams in the league.

Even if every single person that goes to a game in Markham are just casuals and Leafs fans looking for a cheaper (and more readily available) live hockey fix, I really do think that they'd be one of the more successful teams in the league. In fact, if the Leafs got good, a Markham team would probably ride that wave to higher profits as demand would increase not only for Leafs tickets but NHL tickets, period. Not saying they'd be up there with the Original Six or Philly and Vancouver, but think they'd be in or near the upper third in terms of profits, even if the Markham team is meh and the Leafs turn things around.

And, added to that, I think that Hamilton could get a team as well and all three southern Ontario squads would do just fine.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
I look at Los Angeles and the NBA as a good example for why two hockey teams in the GTA probably would work. Even when the Clippers were the clownshoes of the NBA for years and years and the Lakers were a consistently good team winning championships, the Clippers were still one of the more profitable teams in the league.

Even if every single person that goes to a game in Markham are just casuals and Leafs fans looking for a cheaper (and more readily available) live hockey fix, I really do think that they'd be one of the more successful teams in the league. In fact, if the Leafs got good, a Markham team would probably ride that wave to higher profits as demand would increase not only for Leafs tickets but NHL tickets, period. Not saying they'd be up there with the Original Six or Philly and Vancouver, but think they'd be in or near the upper third in terms of profits, even if the Markham team is meh and the Leafs turn things around.

And, added to that, I think that Hamilton could get a team as well and all three southern Ontario squads would do just fine.
you could look at it like the Lakers/Clippers but i'd rather look at it like the Islanders cuzs it suits my arguement better ;)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
if the Leafs were even a decent team, would a 2nd team even be talked about in Toronto? which is why i think fans would jump ship from Markham back to TO if they magically get their heads out of their butts..

Hamilton would have always asked for a team.. regardless of Leafs winning or not

A second team has been talked about for a long time now, it has nothing to do with how the Leafs are doing. Everyone knows T.O can house two teams, again..it has nothing to do with the product the Leafs put on the ice. All about the market!

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
is it possible to have 2 teams play in the same arena? or the Bulldogs getting the boot? ive been indifferent to the Dogs but they really should go back to MTL..

It is possible but to quote Andlauer...

"You're basically cannibalizing the market," he said. "It's not fair to have both an AHL and an OHL franchise at a similar price point."

It would seem to suggest that it's an OHL team that's looking to relocate, which would completely undermine the Bulldogs.

The no comment in regards to which league by Global Spectrum is curious. Clearly it won't be another AHL team and the only other potential league is the NHL. If it's not the NHL, why not just admit OHL?

It does have a feel of the Bulldogs being pushed out doesn't it?

LETS GO TABBIES

What is this Tabbies? An underachieving team with an overpriced and underskilled head coach? Never heard of them....

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
It is possible but to quote Andlauer...

It would seem to suggest that it's an OHL team that's looking to relocate, which would completely undermine the Bulldogs.

The no comment in regards to which league by Global Spectrum is curious. Clearly it won't be another AHL team and the only other potential league is the NHL. If it's not the NHL, why not just admit OHL?

It does have a feel of the Bulldogs being pushed out doesn't it?

What is this Tabbies? An underachieving team with an overpriced and underskilled head coach? Never heard of them....

All I can say is thank god for the NY Giants.. Not only Get beat by a Toronto team they get beat by Toronto's back ups.. I hope the bus left Creehan behind last night.. Or they threw his ass in the credit river..

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
A second team has been talked about for a long time now, it has nothing to do with how the Leafs are doing. Everyone knows T.O can house two teams, again..it has nothing to do with the product the Leafs put on the ice. All about the market!

Leafs have sucked for a very long time. The reason most people want a second team in gta is so the Leafs,in theory,get motivated to put a winning product on the ice..

This is all about TO sucking..and maybe a little of TO still pretending to be NY..

DyerMaker66*

Leafs have sucked for a very long time. The reason most people want a second team in gta is so the Leafs,in theory,get motivated to put a winning product on the ice..

This is all about TO sucking..and maybe a little of TO still pretending to be NY..

Hamilton has tried before to get a team: This has nothing to do with how TO does. Despite popular belief many people here do not support the buds. I personally want a team in my city so we can win a cup, and so I can watch NHL players play without driving an hour or more; I hope the Leafs toil in terribleness for the rest of their existence.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Hamilton has tried before to get a team: This has nothing to do with how TO does. Despite popular belief many people here do not support the buds. I personally want a team in my city so we can win a cup, and so I can watch NHL players play without driving an hour or more; I hope the Leafs toil in terribleness for the rest of their existence.

Hamiltons tried, very true.. but Hamiltons not Toronto and i was referring about the fans in the GTA..

why such hate for the Leafs? jump off the wagon due to them sucking for so long?

DyerMaker66*

Hamiltons tried, very true.. but Hamiltons not Toronto and i was referring about the fans in the GTA..

why such hate for the Leafs? jump off the wagon due to them sucking for so long?
It's the "GTHA" now, dude.

:laugh:

I have never been and will never be a Leafs fan, but there are quite a few reasons:
Keep touting the same "second most cups, best franchise!" horn that they have been for the last 40 years? Check.
300 bucks to watch the 28th place team? Check.
Keep the league out of my city? Check.
Overrate your players every chance you get? Check. (Dion Phaneuf's a lock for Team Canada in 2014, right?)
Know how to build a team "the right way"? Check, I guess.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Andlauer is feeling frustrated...

Dreschel: The politics of privatization

The city’s agreement with Global Spectrum is expected to be signed in January. And though the Philadelphia-based company won’t take over the reins until March, city staff is already seeking their input with the Andlauer talks.

Andlauer’s lease at Copps expires in June. His 11-year American Hockey League affiliation with the Montreal Canadiens expires around the same time.

Andlauer needs a new lease in order to hold on to his farm team affiliation. That’s why he’s frustrated. He’s been trying to get one for some 16 months.

The delay is linked to council’s operational review of HECFI, dissolving the arm’s-length board of directors and the extensive search for a private sector company to manage the city-owned facilities.

The drawn-out process has clearly left Andlauer feeling jerked around, a message he delivered to the interim HECFI board last month.

It could be worse, though. He could end up being left high and iceless.

Last week, just as Bratina — with HECFI board approval — was about to pitch a motion calling on city staff to expedite negotiations with the Bulldogs, Global Spectrum dropped a bombshell on council.

It seems the company has been approached by another hockey organization interested in making Copps its home venue. Multiple sources say it’s the Erie Otters.

Global Spectrum asked for time to evaluate both options so they can present the best business case to the city.

I find it interesting that, despite the denials, the rumour the Erie Otters are returning home have persisted. Clearly it has to be an OHL team that's coming, because one does not need to evaluate the options between the AHL and NHL. Though I can help but wonder if it's Mississauga that's secretly negotiating. The team recently changed it's name to 'Steelheads' which makes absolutely no sense for a Mississauga team, but makes perfect sense for a Hamilton team...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Andlauer is feeling frustrated... Though I can help but wonder if it's Mississauga that's secretly negotiating. The team recently changed it's name to 'Steelheads' which makes absolutely no sense for a Mississauga team, but makes perfect sense for a Hamilton team...

... not sure if I agree with your Police work there. The mouth of the Credit River's in Mississauga, one of the many streams running into Lake Ontario that was/is spawning grounds for the Mighty (and highly toxic) Steelhead (ever catch one Doc? Then eat it? Honestly how gross is that? Like, prolly contract Minamata Disease or worse huh?.) Salmon; the franchise including the stylized Port Credit Lighthouse on their shoulder patches. They kept the blue & white St.Mikes/Leafs colours, a sort of nod I suppose to their heritage. ... also on the Andlauer front, are rumours still persisting the Habs plan to relocate their AHL franchise to Laval? Didnt the Mayor of that city just recently have his house raided by the Cops', named in the ongoing investigation into corruption in Quebecs' construction industry, ergo questionable as to whether Laval even builds a new facility... the Mayor possibly looking at sharing a cell with former silent business partner "Mom" Boucher' for the next 10-15?.

Last edited:

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton

I find it interesting that, despite the denials, the rumour the Erie Otters are returning home have persisted. Clearly it has to be an OHL team that's coming, because one does not need to evaluate the options between the AHL and NHL. Though I can help but wonder if it's Mississauga that's secretly negotiating. The team recently changed it's name to 'Steelheads' which makes absolutely no sense for a Mississauga team, but makes perfect sense for a Hamilton team...

he was on CHML this morning.. felt bad for Andlauer, apparently a few on council (imagine that) are given him the screws.. im not an AHL kinda guy but he deserves better..

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
.. also on the Andlauer front, are rumours still persisting the Habs plan to relocate their AHL franchise to Laval? Didnt the Mayor of that city just recently have his house raided by the Cops', named in the ongoing investigation into corruption in Quebecs' construction industry, ergo questionable as to whether Laval even builds a new facility... the Mayor possibly looking at sharing a cell with former silent business partner "Mom" Boucher' for the next 10-15?.

I've heard nothing on the Laval front, so what Montreal wants to do with the affliation is anyone's guess, but I have a feeling their first preference to keep it where it is currently. (I could be wrong on this but) the Laval arena appears to be still nowhere in sight so if the Canadiens wanted to shift the affliation, they would have to look for a completely different home.

As for Andlauer, he definately wants the franchise to stay put. He is looking for a four to five year lease agreement, but it seems Global Spectrum may have other plans. Not a nice thing to do to a fellow governor...

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
he was on CHML this morning.. felt bad for Andlauer, apparently a few on council (imagine that) are given him the screws.. im not an AHL kinda guy but he deserves better..

http://www.900chml.com/Station/BillKellyShow/Audio.aspx

The Bill Kelly Show Nov 5 Hour 1

First guest. I'm not sure Andlauer has it right. If a couple of councillors are exploring other options, that's doesn't exactly undermine him or his relationship with Global Spectrum. Ultimately it's Global Spectrum that puts forth the best business case. I suspect that GS is trying to play one off the other, without trying to look like a bad guy.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
http://www.900chml.com/Station/BillKellyShow/Audio.aspx

The Bill Kelly Show Nov 5 Hour 1

First guest. I'm not sure Andlauer has it right. If a couple of councillors are exploring other options, that's doesn't exactly undermine him or his relationship with Global Spectrum. Ultimately it's Global Spectrum that puts forth the best business case. I suspect that GS is trying to play one off the other, without trying to look like a bad guy.

would an OHL team be a better draw than AHL? may as well just stick with the guy that wants to be there and has been for 10 years now?

posted a "defensive coordinator wanted' ad on Kijiji for the Hamilton Tiger cats today lol
already had someone respond with resume attached, no football knowledge but we couldnt do much worse eh? :shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
would an OHL team be a better draw than AHL? may as well just stick with the guy that wants to be there and has been for 10 years now?... posted a "defensive coordinator wanted' ad on Kijiji for the Hamilton Tiger cats today... lol... already had someone respond with resume attached, no football knowledge but we couldnt do much worse eh? :shakehead

You have GOT to be kidding Ryan?!. Beyond bush is that if true. Bad enough Braley owns 2 CFL teams.... And no. Copps is way more vehicle than a Major Junior team requires. In the 50's & early 60's sure, when the Marlies would pack the Gardens with Jr. & Sr. Sunday afternoon Matinee's. Doubleheaders. But not today. No way. Not in Hamilton. Go Big (NHL) or Go Away.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
You have GOT to be kidding Ryan?!. Beyond bush is that if true. Bad enough Braley owns 2 CFL teams.... And no. Copps is way more vehicle than a Major Junior team requires. In the 50's & early 60's sure, when the Marlies would pack the Gardens with Jr. & Sr. Sunday afternoon Matinee's. Doubleheaders. But not today. No way. Not in Hamilton. Go Big (NHL) or Go Away.

Sorry Kill I should have worded that better.. I posted the kijiji ad for defensive coordinator. But it would not surprise me if the Cats did hire their current coaches that way..

OHL could draw better but not by much is my guess.. Although 4-5000 for OHL would be good numbers.. Copps is much to big for Both leagues and we have no smaller venue that would make sense

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Sorry Kill I should have worded that better.. I posted the kijiji ad for defensive coordinator. But it would not surprise me if the Cats did hire their current coaches that way..

... thats KrAzY MaIng. No way does a professional club like the Tabbys' post an ad on Craigslist or Kijji to hire scouting, coaching or any other personnel short of Hookers maybe; by players loaded on blow. Maybe (not a bad idea actually) Call Me?... In-Sane. Most amusing concept Ryan. Line. Joke. But beyond that? No. No way.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

One thing I forgot to mention, but stood out for me in the interview was that I think it was the first time I've heard any enthusiasm from Andlauer over a hypothetical Hamilton NHL franchise. I've always wondered if he would be potentially interested in a ownership stake or possibly be the main guy himself with such a team.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Andlauer is getting a little impatient with the new guys...

Andlauer not happy awaiting Copps decision

“Recognizing the importance to the city and Global Spectrum of the hockey tenant and associated lease terms, we respectfully request that Global Spectrum be given additional time to evaluate both scenarios so that we can present the best possible business model to the city for approval,†company COO John Page wrote in a letter to council Oct. 26.

Presumably, sorting out which team was the preferred target accounted for at least part of the 90-minute in-camera conference call between Page, Global Spectrum CEO Frank Russo, and the HECFI board on Thursday afternoon.

No information was made public about its contents when it ended.

Andlauer, who wasn’t at the meeting, didn’t sound thrilled with another delay. At the last meeting nearly a month ago, he told the board he’d been waiting 16 months for a deal, thought something would have been done by now and can’t wait much longer. He either has to know he’ll be playing at Copps soon or begin the search for a new home so he’s not stuck without a rink in which to play.

“If I don’t get any feedback from Global Spectrum that’s positive, I’ll start looking,†he says.

As far as a time frame for getting some encouraging news from them, he says he’s thinking a week or so.

So in other words...two weeks!

But at least it's a little more obvious that it wasn't the case of a couple of councillors causing trouble but Global Spectrum themselves playing both sides. I'm not sure that Andlauer should be playing hardball though....

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Otters in, Bulldogs out?

OHL team likely to get shot at Copps lease

It appears likely an Ontario Hockey League team will be given the opportunity to negotiate a lease with Copps Coliseum, possibly leaving the Hamilton Bulldogs without a home.

Multiple sources tell The Spectator that at a HECFI board meeting on Friday, an OHL franchise — strongly believed to be the Erie Otters — will likely receive the right to begin working on a deal that could see the junior team move to Hamilton in time for the start of next season.

If a deal can be struck, this could mean the end for the American Hockey League franchise that’s called the city home for the past 17 years.

It's interesting that the Otters rumours have persisted. Bassen must be getting ready to break his lease in Erie.

It's also funny that this year has the Bulldogs second overall in attendance with close to an average of 7,900 that they might be forced out...

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Otters in, Bulldogs out?

OHL team likely to get shot at Copps lease

It's interesting that the Otters rumours have persisted. Bassen must be getting ready to break his lease in Erie.

It's also funny that this year has the Bulldogs second overall in attendance with close to an average of 7,900 that they might be forced out...

im torn.. not because im a Dogs fan (which im not). to kick the dogs to the curb like this, not cool.

anyways im up for the OHL.. can we change name though.. Hamilton Otters?really? lol

on a more serious note. would treating the Dogs like this hurt the Otters in attendance? i mean probably most that go to the Bulldogs would probably be regular attendees at an OHL game..

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Not interested in either AHL or OHL. Give me the NHL or nothing. When Bulldogs are playing, I'm home watching NHL, NFL or Raptors.

Still sucks for the Bulldogs. Doesn't seem right.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

I can't wait for an OHL franchise here. I'm a leafs fan so the 'dogs are of no interest to me. I think TOR did the right thing bringing the Marlies back to TOR, and I think it would be smart for the Habs to do the same.

Also, wouldn't it be great for the new Hamilton franchise to have not only a good Leaf prospect in Connor Brown, but the next big hype in Connor McDavid to kick off your franchise! I know I will go to a handful of games with the boys from work for even a crap team. We go to a game or two a year, but have to travel to Guelph, the GTA or Niagara to see a game. lame.

Anyway, I hope this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad