Hamilton II: The City, The League, and The Coliseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
What bugs me is it appears sentimentality over business sense won the day. I get that that Global Spectrum via Ed Snider has an existing relationship with Andlauer, but ultimately it should be what is the best deal for Hamilton. I'm not seeing that.

Just heard a taped interview on the radio with city councilor Sam Merulla who said that the city's $200,000 subsidy is no longer an issue since Global/Spectrum tookover. They are on the hook for that now.

The city got something right!

If the Bulldogs can't come to an agreement, then the OHL interests can have a crack at a lease at Copps.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Copps Coliseum is way to big for an AHL. team let alone an OHL. team & to be honest I think Global Spectrum \ Live Nation want to get the Bulldogs out of there so they can get the ball rolling on getting an NHL. team for Hamilton .

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I dont know about this, an OHL team in Copps. That building can hold just over 17,000 for hockey as is. A similar comparison would be Vancouvers Pacific Coliseum, holding 16,000 and change, the Giants of the WHL seeming to average about 7000-8000 per game since 04/05; CHL record breaking capacities for playoffs, series, tournaments. Put it this way; would be any worse than what the AHL draws? On top of which, its Major Junior & would truly be Hamiltons team as opposed to a farm team for an NHL club. I guess we'll see, but I cant help but think Copps is way more building than whats required for Jr.A...

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Seems there still is a big question of whether or not there will be an a Bulldogs team to allow Andlauer to sign a long term lease at Copps. Was listening to the Matt Holmes show tonight and the representative for the AHL team was asked if Montreal will keep the Bulldogs as their affiliate he couldn't/wouldn't give an answer.

I guess it would be Kinda hard to bargain for a long term lease if you don't got a team lol

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
I dont know about this, an OHL team in Copps. That building can hold just over 17,000 for hockey as is. A similar comparison would be Vancouvers Pacific Coliseum, holding 16,000 and change, the Giants of the WHL seeming to average about 7000-8000 per game since 04/05; CHL record breaking capacities for playoffs, series, tournaments. Put it this way; would be any worse than what the AHL draws? On top of which, its Major Junior & would truly be Hamiltons team as opposed to a farm team for an NHL club. I guess we'll see, but I cant help but think Copps is way more building than whats required for Jr.A...

Probably would draw about the same maybe more. But it's been a while since I've been to an AHL game. Are the tickets around same price?

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Seems there still is a big question of whether or not there will be an a Bulldogs team to allow Andlauer to sign a long term lease at Copps. Was listening to the Matt Holmes show tonight and the representative for the AHL team was asked if Montreal will keep the Bulldogs as their affiliate he couldn't/wouldn't give an answer.

I guess it would be Kinda hard to bargain for a long term lease if you don't got a team lol

From previous interviews, I get the impression that if the Habs moved their farm team to Laval, that Andlauer still wants to run a Hamilton Bulldogs AHL team with another NHL affiliation.

Michael Andlauer said, whether or not the Montreal Canadiens are the local club’s NHL affiliate, he intends to have a team playing in Hamilton after the 2012-13 season.

“I’m still the owner of the Bulldogs today and we’re going to stay here,” he says “That’s a fact.”

His comments were in response to a report from French-language TV network TVA, which said the franchise would be moving to a yet-to-be-constructed arena in the Montreal suburb in the summer of 2013.

Then he went further, saying he owns the Bulldogs brand and it would be in use, on the ice, for years to come.

“Hockey feels good in this town,” he says. “At the end of the day, I feel confident we’ll have hockey in Hamilton.”

While denying the organization would be on the move, he acknowledged there could be a change in which NHL team provides players to the Bulldogs.

Following the 2012-13 season, the Bulldogs’ affiliation agreement with the Montreal Canadiens expires. If the Habs decided to bring their farm team home to Quebec, they could refuse to negotiate an extension, shop for an AHL team, move it to Laval and populate it with their prospects. To keep a team here as he vows to do, Andlauer would then be forced to find another NHL team with which to partner.

He admits owning a team of players that are the property of another NHL outfit would be a little awkward since he’s part owner of the Canadiens, but it wouldn’t be impossible or against any league rules.

“If we don’t have a CH on our shoulder in two years or three years, so be it,” he says. “The one thing that is for sure is that the Bulldogs logo is going to stay here in Hamilton on the front of the jersey.”
http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulld...ay-and-we-re-going-to-stay-here-says-andlauer

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Probably would draw about the same maybe more. But it's been a while since I've been to an AHL game. Are the tickets around same price?

I dont know, but one would naturally assume AHL tickets would be more than Major Junior eh Ryan? Though who the Hell knows? Seems you cant give tickets away half the time in Tronna, Hamilton, Abbotsford...

From previous interviews, I get the impression that if the Habs moved their farm team to Laval, that Andlauer still wants to run a Hamilton Bulldogs AHL team with another NHL affiliation.

"Thats a fact". I guess this guys' based in Burlington, trucking, but appears to
have grown up & gone to school at De La Salle in Toronto. Big time hockey fan.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

From what I understand, the Ottawa 67's also play out of Scotiabank place while Landsdown park is renovated.

With Copps, the upper deck is curtained off so it is left with a seating capacity of 9,000 (Edit: It might be in fact 10,649) and change for minor pro, and major junior. For me it works, with the added bonus of being able to open the upper deck when neccesary.

The strength of the Bulldogs has always been it's identity. They chose a name that Hamiltonian's can relate to, and created a logo that's become iconic and better than a lot of NHL logos. If a junior team were to set up shop, they would have follow along the same lines. None of this 'Dukes of Hamilton' crap...

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
BulldogsOilersjersey.png
d83ed450e7d6799c.jpg

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
I told you guys it was a mistake to tear down the Fabulous Forum on Barton in the 70's. So what if it was put up in like 1913? Grand old Dame with raw exposed good old Hamilton steel support beams all over the place. Some close enough to the boards that if you knew how to hit you could tattoo a guys face with rivet indentations. Interior was sort of like an abandoned factory scene from the movie Silent Hill. Lots of character & real comfortable. Smallish ice surface as I recall. Scary place to play as Visitors. Prolly as home team as well.
Forum%2Bseats%2B1948.jpg
forum-1.jpg
1-1-2a4.jpg
1-1aredwingsa.jpg
1-1aredwings1a.jpg

Red Wings' Gordie Howe and Hamiltonian Murray Oliver visit the Forum.

Mountain Arena from the street looks like a High School or something. Typical 70's build. Seats what; maybe 3000 or so?

mountain1.jpg
Dave-AndreychukMountain-Are.jpg

Originally built as the Mountain Arena in 1966, this 2500-seat arena received a $3.1 million renovation in 2005, mostly for behind-the-scenes updates such as the main lobby, expanded dressing rooms, new concession areas, and general enhancements.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: Yepp. Thats the place alrighty. Where on earth did you find those old gems? And as I mentioned earlier, note where the support beams are located huh? Right there on the boards.... you hit a guy just right, Chara on Pacioretty ring any bells?

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Great work Hamilton Tigers, fantastic photos!:thumbu:

I actually grew up in same neighbourhood as the Mountain Arena. Went to school at Ridgemount Elementary which was right next door. Even went skating (or what ever you want to call falling on the ice frequently is called) at the arena.

My biggest memory of that arena was watching Wayne Gretzky play for the Soo Greyhounds. I think the Fincups lost something like 8-1.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
And on CHCH TV 11 Saturday afternoons. :D
just before Party Game with Billy Van ... who, if us kids are watching is not the same guy who anchors the news sometimes or who also plays Count Frightenstein, he just looks like him ;)

Now THAT was a TV Station!! Much better than anything Toronto or Buffalo offered up thru the air at that time.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Great work Hamilton Tigers, fantastic photos!:thumbu:

I actually grew up in same neighbourhood as the Mountain Arena. Went to school at Ridgemount Elementary which was right next door. Even went skating (or what ever you want to call falling on the ice frequently is called) at the arena.

My biggest memory of that arena was watching Wayne Gretzky play for the Soo Greyhounds. I think the Fincups lost something like 8-1.

Agreed fantastic pictures.. I've never seen the inside before, thanks HT
We live just off of Ridge street which is off of Hester. My boy goes to Ridgemont, junior k. and skates(falls,actually so do I ) at DA arena as well lol

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
1-1-2w.jpg

Check out the backs of the seats (benches?)
can_m_ham_brill_750_11.jpg

Forum-wresting.jpg

Whipper Billy Watson vs. Gene Kiniski, Canada's greatest athlete.
Cops%2Band%2Bfiremen%2B1953.jpg

Hamilton Police vs. Hamilton Firefighters at the Forum in 1953

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Now THAT was a TV Station!! Much better than anything Toronto or Buffalo offered up thru the air at that time.

Yepp. First home of the seminal TV show SCTV & Smith&Smith, as in Rick Smith aka Red Green, loosely based on the old Red Fisher TV show and his "Tall Tales from Scuttlebutt Lodge", the fishing show that featured Red out fishing with the likes of Gordie Howe & Johnny Bower etc... while House of Frightenstein, another CHCH mainstay featured an aged Vincent Price in a cameo delivering prose of his own or from the pen of Edgar Allan Poe etc.

Keep yer head up & stick on the ice. Were rootin for ya.... ;)

Puckschmuck*

Bump. Does anyone still think this city stands a chance of landing an NHL team anytime soon?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Bump. Does anyone still think this city stands a chance of landing an NHL team anytime soon?

The Markham issue might serve Hamilton well, in that if MLSE is faced with the League pushing them to accept Markham, that then they might say,... OK, will accept Hamilton instead, at least it's not right in the city with us competing with us for everything that goes on here. However, it's not all in MLSE's hands, because Hamilton then is an issue for Buffalo. Nevertheless, I think that if MLSE insists strongly enough and then says it won't fight Hamilton, then that could give Hamilton the upperhand over Markham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad