Hamilton II: The City, The League, and The Coliseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not interested in either AHL or OHL. Give me the NHL or nothing. When Bulldogs are playing, I'm home watching NHL, NFL or Raptors.

... ya, and your obviously in the majority. I suppose it could be argued that the Hab's were brilliant in putting their AHL team in Hamilton, cleverly hoping to capitalize on the long simmering enmities between your city & Toronto with games against the Marlies, but thats far from the truth. No one cares, has much of an appetite for the AHL. And though convenient, I think the AHL itself & the Leafs would be far better served with their farm club somewhere else other than playing out of the Ricoh. A smaller city/region in the US or Maritimes perhaps. Same thing goes for the Abbotsford Heat out here. Attendance left wonting, expenses are high, not to mention that its one of Vancouvers arch enemy rivals stocked with Calgarys' prospects. Not the brightest move that.

As for the possibility of Major Junior playing out of Copps', if it was complimentary in terms of scheduling with an NHL tenant as well then sure, I could see that working. However, as a stand alone tenant, cant see a situation whereby they'd be selling 10,000+ seats & ST's, unless Im way off the mark in terms of my perceptions & understanding of the Hamilton market. Copps is simply "too much building" for a junior franchise. Like the Marlies playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens. Slow death over two decades, crowds of 3500-5000 "maybe" and only if the team had some serious talent. Also, the existence of a Major Junior team would likely be death of the OJHL's Hamilton Red Wings, a league thats just seen the Markham Waxers suspend operations after a 100yr+ history in the league throughout its various permutations.

No, Im with you on this one, give the market the NHL, forget the AHL, and if indeed Major Junior scheduling can be complimentary to the main course then fine.... as for the Bulldogs moving to Laval, whats going on with that? Didnt the Mayor of that city recently have his home raided by the cops, named in the enquiries into construction industry corruption, the build on a new arena pretty much put on hold?

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
I can't wait for an OHL franchise here. I'm a leafs fan so the 'dogs are of no interest to me. I think TOR did the right thing bringing the Marlies back to TOR, and I think it would be smart for the Habs to do the same.

Also, wouldn't it be great for the new Hamilton franchise to have not only a good Leaf prospect in Connor Brown, but the next big hype in Connor McDavid to kick off your franchise! I know I will go to a handful of games with the boys from work for even a crap team. We go to a game or two a year, but have to travel to Guelph, the GTA or Niagara to see a game. lame.

Anyway, I hope this is true.
you poor soul..

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Who is in and who is out will be announced in a week or so...

Bulldogs, OHL competing for Copps lease

Incoming facility manager Global-Spectrum and city staff have promised to bring a joint recommendation to the interim HECFI board by early December on whether to stick with the Hamilton Bulldogs as a tenant or lease instead to an unnamed major-junior Ontario Hockey League team.

The announcement came after a largely in-camera board meeting Friday morning.

A letter from Geoff Molson, owner of the Montreal Canadiens, the Hamilton Bulldogs’ parent team, was submitted in advance of the meeting, asking members to consider the “economic benefit and considerable national exposure†offered by the Hamilton Bulldogs. The team is in the final year of its agreement with the city.

What is interesting is the letter from the Canadiens, clearly they would prefer that the affliation stay put. In fact from the rest of the article, clearly the AHL would prefer it too. Thanks to the ever shifting movement of minor league franchises, Hamilton is now one of the oldest franchises in the league...:)

However there is an implication that whoever is pushing the OHL franchise, is making an offer that blows away the AHL team...

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
So "in two weeks", we should find out if the dogs are moving? :sarcasm: Not often you can make exactly the same post word-for-word in two different unrelated threads.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Who is in and who is out will be announced in a week or so...

Bulldogs, OHL competing for Copps lease

What is interesting is the letter from the Canadiens, clearly they would prefer that the affliation stay put. In fact from the rest of the article, clearly the AHL would prefer it too. Thanks to the ever shifting movement of minor league franchises, Hamilton is now one of the oldest franchises in the league...:)

However there is an implication that whoever is pushing the OHL franchise, is making an offer that blows away the AHL team...

just one question.. how does Global Spectrum figure this will help Hamilton get an NHL team? is pissing off an owner of a top 5 team part of the plan?

ps. spent 8 hours in Toronto at the Grey cup.. i think the city ate my soul:(

DyerMaker66*

just one question.. how does Global Spectrum figure this will help Hamilton get an NHL team? is pissing off an owner of a top 5 team part of the plan?

ps. spent 8 hours in Toronto at the Grey cup.. i think the city ate my soul:(
Maybe they think it'd be easier to keep both teams there (OHL and NHL) while working around the two leagues' schedules than it would be with three? Also, AHL attendance would plummet if Hamilton got a an NHL team but with a lower ticket price the OHL may be able to survive. The OHL team's potential "farm team" also plays in Hamilton at The Dave, so that's a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
"The Hamilton report says the Otters would sell part ownership to Hamilton-based interests with the option for the Hamilton group to purchase the club outright within*3 *years.

While unconfirmed, there has been suggestions dating back to last Fall that the Hamilton party includes Daryl Katz, the owner of the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League."

"A previous report from the Erie Times quoted Erie's General Manager Sherry Bassin as stating the Otters would not be departing the Pennsylvania city as long as he was a controlling partner."

:)
http://www.98thebeach.ca/news_item.php?NewsID=43810

Last edited:

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Molson was in Laval to launch Place Bell, a $120 million sports complex that will include an arena. Place Bell is scheduled for completion in 2015. Molson said the new arena would be able to hold 10,000 spectators a game. He also said that he arena will be the home of a pro-level hockey team. Molson stopped short of saying that team would be the Hamilton Bulldogs.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/watch/Sports/Hockey/AHL/ID=2309775223

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2012/11/27/hamilton-bulldogs-laval.html

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Wouldn't be shocked to hear that Montreal was interested in putting their AHL team next door. After all, would reduce costs for them and it's not like Montreal couldn't sustain a minor league team on top of what they already have.

"My desire was to keep hockey in Hamilton despite all the rumors," he said

dont like that "WAS" Andlauer is using

oops meant to quote HT

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Wouldn't be shocked to hear that Montreal was interested in putting their AHL team next door. After all, would reduce costs for them and it's not like Montreal couldn't sustain a minor league team on top of what they already have.

i sure hope Global Spectrum wasnt just postering to get a better deal from the Bull dogs.. could mean no AHL or OHL..

DyerMaker66*

... ya, and your obviously in the majority. I suppose it could be argued that the Hab's were brilliant in putting their AHL team in Hamilton, cleverly hoping to capitalize on the long simmering enmities between your city & Toronto with games against the Marlies, but thats far from the truth. No one cares, has much of an appetite for the AHL. And though convenient, I think the AHL itself & the Leafs would be far better served with their farm club somewhere else other than playing out of the Ricoh. A smaller city/region in the US or Maritimes perhaps. Same thing goes for the Abbotsford Heat out here. Attendance left wonting, expenses are high, not to mention that its one of Vancouvers arch enemy rivals stocked with Calgarys' prospects. Not the brightest move that.

As for the possibility of Major Junior playing out of Copps', if it was complimentary in terms of scheduling with an NHL tenant as well then sure, I could see that working. However, as a stand alone tenant, cant see a situation whereby they'd be selling 10,000+ seats & ST's, unless Im way off the mark in terms of my perceptions & understanding of the Hamilton market. Copps is simply "too much building" for a junior franchise. Like the Marlies playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens. Slow death over two decades, crowds of 3500-5000 "maybe" and only if the team had some serious talent. Also, the existence of a Major Junior team would likely be death of the OJHL's Hamilton Red Wings, a league thats just seen the Markham Waxers suspend operations after a 100yr+ history in the league throughout its various permutations.

No, Im with you on this one, give the market the NHL, forget the AHL, and if indeed Major Junior scheduling can be complimentary to the main course then fine.... as for the Bulldogs moving to Laval, whats going on with that? Didnt the Mayor of that city recently have his home raided by the cops, named in the enquiries into construction industry corruption, the build on a new arena pretty much put on hold?

This has been viewed as a plus as the Red Wings would become their affiliate.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
There are 220,000 reasons why the Hamilton Bulldogs may get the boot from Copps Coliseum.

That’s the number of tax dollars the AHL hockey team has been receiving from HECFI every year since 2002, when Michael Andlauer took over ownership.

That works out to a subsidy of more than $2 million.

Given that there’s now another leasing offer on the table from a different hockey team — which reportedly doesn’t include a subsidy and provides greater revenue opportunities — it’s safe to say the Bulldogs tenancy is hanging by a thread.

The problem for the rest of us is all these discussions are taking place behind closed doors.

We have no details of what the Bulldogs are offering in terms of a new lease agreement.

And we don’t know the details of what the other unnamed club is proposing. All we know for sure is it’s an OHL team, which multiple sources have identified as the Erie Otters.

Reading between the lines, it’s clear the competing offer promises to be more profitable in the short term and possibly more secure in the long term than a new agreement with the Bulldogs.

But it’s also clear that the HECFI board wants Global Spectrum to do more than simply weigh the pros and cons of both proposals. The board wants firm advice.

Frankly, if Global Spectrum demurs, it doesn’t augur well for their partnership with the city.

The board is looking to the Philadelphia-based company to provide the kind of management leadership and expertise they promised to deliver when they were selected through the city’s long and costly privatization process.

After all, the company manages 112 venues around the world, among them 20 arenas with hockey tenants, which include NHL, OHL, and AHL teams.

Global Spectrum knows the sports/entertainment business. The HECFI board doesn’t.

What the board must know, however, is there’s bound of be a community backlash if the Bulldogs are dumped. The team has a good brand in the city and a loyal if not huge fan base.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/colu...eschel-bulldogs-subsidy-could-be-deal-breaker

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
i propose the City of Hamilton and the City of Guelph make a deal.. a 2 4 1 if you will.. they are already getting the Cats for a year, why not throw in the Dogstoo while they figure out a lease..lol

i dont think this will end well for Hamilton hockey fans:(

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
i propose the City of Hamilton and the City of Guelph make a deal.. a 2 4 1 if you will.. they are already getting the Cats for a year, why not throw in the Dogstoo while they figure out a lease..lol

i dont think this will end well for Hamilton hockey fans:(

There's only one lasting solution for Hamilton hockey fans...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This has been viewed as a plus as the Red Wings would become their affiliate.

I didnt consider that. Good thinking. I was sort of under the impression though that generally speaking, at least out West here, there usually isnt room for both a Provincial & Major Junior Club in the same market. Its one or the other. If however they can work together? Great, go for it.... also of note on Monday the 26th, the newly minted Mayor of Laval & Geoff Molson of the Habs' made a splashy announcement to kickoff construction on that cities new 10,000 seat $110M arena set to open in 2015. Molson telling one & all "top level pro hockey will be played here", and I dont think he meant it as solely a practice rink for le Habitants.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It is hilarious that anyone thinks the NHL is coming to Copps.

The building is too old and would require an extensive renovation to even consider hosting an NHL team.

Generally taxpayers get bamboozled into paying for those shiny new digs for the billionaires.

Meanwhile the City of Hamilton has practically given away the responsibility for the buildings in a couple of sweetheart deals in an effort to reduce the money it has to spend on them now. (I am positive that won't end up happening but that is the theory anyways).

What possible reasoning does anyone here have for the NHL suddenly coming to Copps?

Did you see the incredible giveaway of public money in the most recent agreement for the Coyotes? The money Katz is trying to steal out of Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad