Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Totally agree. I really noticed an extreme improvement in Morrison after he returned from his injury. I thought that Avery Hayes regressed as the year went on, but he showed some improvement over the last 5 or 6 games.

The fact that the team also made the playoffs, are giving the younger players some valuable post-season experience and that they sold set pieces in Saigeon and Entwhistle and got good returns for them as well, really says a lot. Next year I think is the bigger test to be honest. Make a slightly higher seed, and you could easily see another run in 2021.

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Looks like the OHL has reduced the fine against the Ice Dogs to 150k and is now only taking away one of their first round picks.

Reactions: three dog night

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
No Nick Donofrio for Game 1 (concussion). Bulldogs will likely either sign an EBUG or call up Marco Constantini to back up Roy..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Adam Siek signed as an EBUG for tonight's game.

He's an OA goalie who was playing for the Delhi Travellers of the PJCHL (Junior C)--god forbid if he gets a minute for the Bulldogs tonight as his numbers were horrid.. basically, Roy is going to have to be really good tonight.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs down 5-2 in the 3rd--after having a brief lead, Ottawa scored 4 unanswered goals..

BTW, Game 4 of this series is airing on SN360 on March 27th--in what is very likely to be an elimination game unless the Bulldogs surprise and win at least one game before then.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
9-3 loss for the Bulldogs.

Zachary Roy was just overmatched.. unfortunately, with Donofrio out with a concussion and a EBUG from Junior C who had a 7.11 GAA this season, there isn't anybody to back him up.. especially against a stacked team like the 67s.

After taking a 2-1 lead in the 2nd.. the wheels just fell off for the Bulldogs, as Ottawa scored 8 unanswered goals (4 PP goals as Hamilton spent a 20 minutes in the sin bin).

Even though it's game 1--it just shows this team is pretty far away from returning back among the elite--likely at least 2-3 years away.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

Zachary Roy was just overmatched.. unfortunately, with Donofrio out with a concussion and a EBUG from Junior C who had a 7.11 GAA this season, there isn't anybody to back him up.. especially against a stacked team like the 67s.

After taking a 2-1 lead in the 2nd.. the wheels just fell off for the Bulldogs, as Ottawa scored 8 unanswered goals (4 PP goals as Hamilton spent a 20 minutes in the sin bin).

Even though it's game 1--it just shows this team is pretty far away from returning back among the elite--likely at least 2-3 years away.

Yes, of course it takes a total of 4 years to turn around a team in the OHL.lol

Stick to writing recaps off of the OHL site.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

More of the usual negativity. Want to hear something funny? Remember when some guy named digiblader was furiously posting demands that Staios needs to clear the deck of Entwistle, Saigeon, Mattinen, Kaliyev, and Strome "ASAP!!!!"? The team would have been far worse, had more of a losing culture, less leadership, missed the playoffs, and the list goes on. It's funny that you are quite critical of this team. After all, you've been pretty negative about their performance during the rebuild. I just can't imagine how asinine you think that digiblader's thoughts were who really wanted to blow up the team back in the fall.... Clearly you have a much higher expectation of the team which includes the team performing better. After all, you have such a high standard that you were still dissapointed in the team when they won the OHL championship last season.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Game was going great until the half way point, then it just turned south. It's the regrettable symptom of an inexperienced defence. They get worn out keeping that high a pace and mistakes happen, and Roy can't stand on his head every game, he's still a rookie remember. Also some really crappy reffing burned us. At least two calls for interference were complete BS, as the player was either skating for the puck, or was responding to a late hit.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Holy crap, it's almost like...when the team moved in 2013...and then won the championship in 2018...that it was 3 years away too. Holy crap...it's almost like junior hockey is inherently cyclical due to player lifespan. This is mind blowing guys. I mean, it's so crazy that the expectations that have been set and met and generally understood....are happening. It's almost like...the team is doing it's job? Wow.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Holy crap, it's almost like...when the team moved in 2013...and then won the championship in 2018...that it was 3 years away too. Holy crap...it's almost like junior hockey is inherently cyclical due to player lifespan. This is mind blowing guys. I mean, it's so crazy that the expectations that have been set and met and generally understood....are happening. It's almost like...the team is doing it's job? Wow.

No kidding. They're doing such a bad job.lol

Just wondering how the other 3 teams from last years Memorial Cup did last night?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Game was going great until the half way point, then it just turned south. It's the regrettable symptom of an inexperienced defence. They get worn out keeping that high a pace and mistakes happen, and Roy can't stand on his head every game, he's still a rookie remember. Also some really crappy reffing burned us. At least two calls for interference were complete BS, as the player was either skating for the puck, or was responding to a late hit.
Ya I was going to ask you guys about that. Dogs seemed like they were hanging in pretty good.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Ya I was going to ask you guys about that. Dogs seemed like they were hanging in pretty good.

Yeah, a team with the experience and offensive weaponry as the 67's are right now, you can't let momentum shift, and that's exactly what happened mid-way through the 2nd. We took a penalty that shouldn't have been a penalty in my eyes, and the 67's got in gear.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015

Bulldogs moved in 2015.

But until 2018, the team was mediocre--because of poor management by Bulldogs part-owner Gord Simmonds and developmental issues under George Burnett--5 years of poor hockey. Staios turned this franchise around--now he has to once again fix this franchise--and considering the team's draft pick situation, they're still at least 2 years away at minimum from being a team that advances past the 1st round.

And they're likely heading for another coaching search this offseason as Matsos is likely not going to return due to his health concerns and I can't see Laise as a head coach in the OHL.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Not even there. Most of them were tanking for high picks.
I believe that's his point. You're critical of the Bulldogs losing and now trying to justify other teams losing? Your thoughts shift just like a pendulum, and they're always opposite of the position Hamilton is in. The only part that remains unmoved is your negativity of this team.

Your assumption of the tanking is vastly flawed for 2 big reasons. First, tanking in the WHL doesn't guarantee the top pick because they have a lottery system. The Winnipeg Ice (formerly Kootenay) won the #1 pick. If the OHL had a lottery system and Hamilton didn't get the first pick, you'd call the tank a complete failure. Secondly, first round picks in the WHL can be traded. Furthermore, Swift Current traded their 2018 and 2019 first round picks to Prince George for Josh Anderson, and Regina traded their 2019 first round pick to Saskatoon for Libor Hajek. So going back to the tanking excuse that you are justifying... whats the purpose to purposely tank if it only helps Prince George and Saskatoon? Lol

Your habit of throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks doesn't work. You've never been a supporter of the Bulldogs. You've been a troll who wants to see them fail from the moment they moved to Hamilton, and you always try to come with a lot of lame excuses for everything.

That part about the tanking though when other teams own the picks... that is probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Similarly, if the Ottawa Senators are purposely losing for the hopes of the top pick in the NHL draft lottery, the people in Colorado are laughing just as hard!

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Bulldogs moved in 2015.

But until 2018, the team was mediocre--because of poor management by Bulldogs part-owner Gord Simmonds and developmental issues under George Burnett--5 years of poor hockey. Staios turned this franchise around--now he has to once again fix this franchise--and considering the team's draft pick situation, they're still at least 2 years away at minimum from being a team that advances past the 1st round.

And they're likely heading for another coaching search this offseason as Matsos is likely not going to return due to his health concerns and I can't see Laise as a head coach in the OHL.

The typo is fair, but the point stands. It took 3 years for the team to make a championship team, and now Staios appears to be on pace to do the same, which is the general expectation in the OHL. There's no need to fix the franchise, because it's not broken, it's just reloading. Anyone who gets how the OHL works is fine with being 2 years away from being a contender again. You aren't spouting negatives here, you are basically saying the team is where successful franchises are typically after a cup run.

As far as coaching, I generally favor promoting from within, mainly because you don't tinker with the system as much as you don't have a coach putting a new stamp on things. That said, who would you recommend as a coach, or did you just want to rip on Laise?

Last, this is junior hockey. This is where just about every position involved in the game comes up from. Players, Refs, Staff and yes GMs and coaches. Any GM or coach who intentionally tanks and sabotages the development of young players is shooting his own career prospects in the foot. This isn't the NHL, where it's win at all costs. Player and coach development is also the huge end goal of the CHL and failing to do so, when youth are in their most formative years would not be looked well upon.

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I believe that's his point. You're critical of the Bulldogs losing and now trying to justify other teams losing? Your thoughts shift just like a pendulum, and they're always opposite of the position Hamilton is in. The only part that remains unmoved is your negativity of this team.

Your assumption of the tanking is vastly flawed for 2 big reasons. First, tanking in the WHL doesn't guarantee the top pick because they have a lottery system. The Winnipeg Ice (formerly Kootenay) won the #1 pick. If the OHL had a lottery system and Hamilton didn't get the first pick, you'd call the tank a complete failure. Secondly, first round picks in the WHL can be traded. Furthermore, Swift Current traded their 2018 and 2019 first round picks to Prince George for Josh Anderson, and Regina traded their 2019 first round pick to Saskatoon for Libor Hajek. So going back to the tanking excuse that you are justifying... whats the purpose to purposely tank if it only helps Prince George and Saskatoon? Lol

Your habit of throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks doesn't work. You've never been a supporter of the Bulldogs. You've been a troll who wants to see them fail from the moment they moved to Hamilton, and you always try to come with a lot of lame excuses for everything.

That part about the tanking though when other teams own the picks... that is probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Similarly, if the Ottawa Senators are purposely losing for the hopes of the top pick in the NHL draft lottery, the people in Colorado are laughing just as hard!

lol, now that is how you get completely owned. Great post.lol

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
lol, now that is how you get completely owned. Great post.lol
Thanks. I can't stand the continual BS that he posts since he's not a fan and is on a mission to see the Bulldogs fail. Most of the delusional garbage that he posts are assumptions and rumours. He doesn't contribute to healthy discussion. It's one thing to be a fan and have constructive criticism of things going on with the team, but it's another to be a troll on a mission who spews negative garbage. It just makes sense to discredit his nonsensical posts with facts and shoot down his rumours that are blatantly false.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Thanks. I can't stand the continual BS that he posts since he's not a fan and is on a mission to see the Bulldogs fail. Most of the delusional garbage that he posts are assumptions and rumours. He doesn't contribute to healthy discussion. It's one thing to be a fan and have constructive criticism of things going on with the team, but it's another to be a troll on a mission who spews negative garbage. It just makes sense to discredit his nonsensical posts with facts and shoot down his rumours that are blatantly false.

Couldn't agree more.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
What was Nutter thinking

Not sure. He takes a lot of penalties, but he doesn't usually lose his cool like that. It really hurt the team.

The hit could have been called a blindside, but it doesn't excuse his actions. At first I thought that it was interference, but the back angle showed that he did touch the puck.

Reactions: three dog night

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
Bulldogs lose this one 5-2.

The first period was very physical. Jenik got injured, something with his right ankle I think.

Mutter got tossed after crosschecking Peric. Honestly, I'm not surprised that Mutter did this. We've seen throughout the season (I think during a Kingston game he got hit by a guy, so he checked him right after) that he's the type of player that tries to get underneath the opponents skin and he doesn't take any crap from anyone. He's probably out for Game 3 unless the OHL lets him off.

Special teams today were atrocious. Teri Pecoskie mentioned in one of her tweets that the Bulldogs have given up SEVEN powerplay goals in two games, plus a shorty. You could see the inadequacy with this teams PK on the goal that made it 3-1 Ottawa: three guys on the puck carrier who passes it to the open guy in the slot and scores.

You can also make the argument that Ottawa has a really good PP, but from what I've seen, the Bulldogs PK hasn't been good since January. If I was Laise, I would try to address the issues with this team's special teams so they still have somewhat of a chance in this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad