Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Anyways, after two games against Sudbury, I'm now hoping with get Niagara in the playoffs. Luukkonen is just that tough a nut to crack. 40 shots, didn't let one in, and there were some deadly chances that game.
Yes, I couldn't believe the shot differential yesterday, and there were some really good opportunities. None of these perimeter shots off the boards. Players were getting right at the net.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Looks like Niagara did us a solid and beat Barrie. Dogs win they are in, and they might not even need to do that.

The only two ways we don't make the playoffs now are if we go winless and Barrie runs the table, or Barrie wins three, gets an OT loss and wins the tie break against the dogs. Anyone know what the tie break is in the OHL?

In the case two teams are tied for the final playoff spot there is a one game playoff to decide who makes the playoffs. For other positioning it is who has the most wins minus shootout wins.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
At this point, the Bulldogs are destined for the #7 seed unless North Bay makes a run--so it looks like Niagara or Sudbury is in their future.. and based on remaining skeds, Niagara has a more favorable sked--looks like you will be playing the IceDogs in the first round.

Regardless who the Bulldogs face--they will struggle to win a playoff game considering the stacked lineups of Niagara and of course Sudbury's goaltending.

Reactions: three dog night

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Looks like Niagara did us a solid and beat Barrie. Dogs win they are in, and they might not even need to do that.

The only two ways we don't make the playoffs now are if we go winless and Barrie runs the table, or Barrie wins three, gets an OT loss and wins the tie break against the dogs. Anyone know what the tie break is in the OHL?
8th place if tied is decided by a tie breaker game - played on March 19th if required.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
At this point, the Bulldogs are destined for the #7 seed unless North Bay makes a run--so it looks like Niagara or Sudbury is in their future.. and based on remaining skeds, Niagara has a more favorable sked--looks like you will be playing the IceDogs in the first round.

Regardless who the Bulldogs face--they will struggle to win a playoff game considering the stacked lineups of Niagara and of course Sudbury's goaltending.

Well that works out. Heck I said it earlier, this season would be a success if we made the playoffs given how much D. we lost from last season's championship run. Still, nothing's set in stone yet.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
And the Bulldogs will be likely rewarded by getting swept in 4 games by Niagara, Sudbury or Ottawa.
They're just overmatched against elite teams.. as we saw in games vs. those potential playoff opponents.

Bulldogs must beat North Bay this week--or they risk ending up playing likely Halifax-bound team, the Ottawa 67s..

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
And the Bulldogs will be likely rewarded by getting swept in 4 games by Niagara, Sudbury or Ottawa.
They're just overmatched against elite teams.. as we saw in games vs. those potential playoff opponents.

Bulldogs must beat North Bay this week--or they risk ending up playing likely Halifax-bound team, the Ottawa 67s..
We clinch the playoffs and this is the first thing you say...

Why do you keep coming back to this thread? Why are you always so quick to reveal your negativity when something good happens?

After watching this thread for a few months, I have an even better question to ask: what OHL team do you ACTUALLY support?

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Still finding clouds in every silver lining I see. Ottawa took a game away from us last year with the top seed, so a guarantee it is not. The Fish got the 7th seed last year and took two away from the Colts. You play a chippy game, you have a good night and you make a would be champion fight for every inch. To do any less, well you're playing the wrong sport.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Also, I am pleasantly surprised that the Bulldogs attendance stayed over 4000 per game this year (7th in the OHL) despite trading away a lot of their talent.

There was discussion along this vein in the attendance thread, of which the user Otto has been tracking the figures. Basically, if it wasn't for that snowed out School day game, the Bulldogs average attendance would be up another 100 or so. Hopefully that trend continues.

Reactions: Helvigster

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm not even sure what I am rooting for. Pretty tough task no matter who it is... I actually think that Niagara will win the East.

No matter what happens, it's been a successful season. They have been much better than the other 3 teams from last years Memorial Cup.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not even sure what I am rooting for. Pretty tough task no matter who it is... I actually think that Niagara will win the East.

No matter what happens, it's been a successful season. They have been much better than the other 3 teams from last years Memorial Cup.
To win the league and still make the playoffs the following year is an excellent accomplishment. Easpecially considering the talent traded away.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Well looks like we may end up getting Ottawa, although I believe I see why.

Looks like they are giving the younger players more ice time and play with the vets before the playoffs. Paying dividends for next season. Only reason I can see to break up the Strome, Kaliyev and Jenik line.

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Costly loss for the Bulldogs--with a game against Sudbury tomorrow with a Wolves team with something to play for (still chasing the IceDogs for the #2 seed with a game in hand), it puts Hamilton in danger of playing Ottawa in the 1st round.

That is going to be a very tough matchup--especially with DiPietro in net and facing that DEEP lineup.. to avoid this, the Bulldogs MUST win tomorrow night.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Well, looks like series starts on Friday. I predict an almost exact reversal of last year....and hope we have the exact same reversal next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rounder8

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Great opportunity for the kids to get some playoff experience, even if it's short lived. This will only help in their development going into next season and beyond.

I'm pleased with how this season turned out. Sure, would have loved to be seeded a bit higher but, with the coaching change, trades and graduations this past year, the boys did fine.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just making the playoffs makes the season a success in my opinion. If they win a game or two, that's even better but my expectations from here onward are low as they've already accomplished what I had expected. These guys should be proud and the playoff experience will help them regardless of the result.

As previously pointed out by someone else, Hamilton is the only team from last year's Memorial Cup to make this year's playoffs. The three other teams missed the playoffs this seaons. The MC champions Acadie-Bathurst had just one win at home all season, and 8 wins total. If you compare Hamilton's wins (29) with the WHL and QMJHL champions from last season, Swift Current (11 wins) and Acadie-Bathurst (8), Hamilton still has 10 more wins than both teams combined. Regina had 19 wins this season and also missed the playoffs, which again, Hamilton won 10 more games. Meanwhile, our roster is vastly different, just like the three others teams. Strome, Kaliyev, Nurse, and Donofrio are the main players remaining from last year's run who dressed most of the season this year to help Hamilton get into the playoffs once again. I did not include Jackson, Mutter, Burnell, or Landry for various reasons (not discrediting them) since I'm showing the few remaining who played most of last season and the playoffs, and also played almost all of this season to get the Bulldogs into the playoffs. Just from eyeballing the roster, Hamilton made the playoffs with around 18 new players (mostly rookies or players with few OHL games played) who consistently played games for Hamilton either from the start of the season or once they were traded here.

It was also great to see noticeable development from some guys around Christmas and after the trade deadline (for example: Landry, Morrison, Van Loon, Supryka, Vescio). Trading some veterans was probably a bit daunting and a wake-up call at first for these guys but it probably also helped them mature once they realized some shoes had to be filled and the new opportunities available.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Just making the playoffs makes the season a success in my opinion. If they win a game or two, that's even better but my expectations from here onward are low as they've already accomplished what I had expected. These guys should be proud and the playoff experience will help them regardless of the result.

As previously pointed out by someone else, Hamilton is the only team from last year's Memorial Cup to make this year's playoffs. The three other teams missed the playoffs this seaons. The MC champions Acadie-Bathurst had just one win at home all season, and 8 wins total. If you compare Hamilton's wins (29) with the WHL and QMJHL champions from last season, Swift Current (11 wins) and Acadie-Bathurst (8), Hamilton still has 10 more wins than both teams combined. Regina had 19 wins this season and also missed the playoffs, which again, Hamilton won 10 more games. Meanwhile, our roster is vastly different, just like the three others teams. Strome, Kaliyev, Nurse, and Donofrio are the main players remaining from last year's run who dressed most of the season this year to help Hamilton get into the playoffs once again. I did not include Jackson, Mutter, Burnell, or Landry for various reasons (not discrediting them) since I'm showing the few remaining who played most of last season and the playoffs, and also played almost all of this season to get the Bulldogs into the playoffs. Just from eyeballing the roster, Hamilton made the playoffs with around 18 new players (mostly rookies or players with few OHL games played) who consistently played games for Hamilton either from the start of the season or once they were traded here.

It was also great to see noticeable development from some guys around Christmas and after the trade deadline (for example: Landry, Morrison, Van Loon, Supryka, Vescio). Trading some veterans was probably a bit daunting and a wake-up call at first for these guys but it probably also helped them mature once they realized some shoes had to be filled and the new opportunities available.

Totally agree. I really noticed an extreme improvement in Morrison after he returned from his injury. I thought that Avery Hayes regressed as the year went on, but he showed some improvement over the last 5 or 6 games.

Reactions: Helvigster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad