Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Well, you don't like them, right? I've met Michael once right after we won the Cup and he was okay. Haven't talked to them since.

(if you're wondering how I know you, I'm Helvigster on Twitter)

I'm indifferent. Not my thing, but he's harmless and if he's having fun, who cares. The kids seem to like it.

Reactions: Helvigster

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Big win tonight for the boys. Roy was very good and Strome with the Gordie Howe hat trick.

They needed that one for sure.

No kidding, so now tomorrow we see who wins between North Bay and Barrie. No winners for us on that one. I suppose if Kingston managed to beat Peterborough that would add some more drama to the race.

Reactions: Rounder8

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Next Sat., first trip to Hamilton for a game. Let me get to the point: is Tim Horton's coffee sold in the arena? Thx
My second trip and quite surprised how much gouging still goes on there. $21 for 2 beers and $6 for a bottle of water, lets not forget $10 for parking and I heard that's cheap. This is the OHL not the NHL. Attendance issues?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
My second trip and quite surprised how much gouging still goes on there. $21 for 2 beers and $6 for a bottle of water, lets not forget $10 for parking and I heard that's cheap. This is the OHL not the NHL. Attendance issues?
I can't comment on food/drink prices at the arena because I didn't purchase anything.
However, parking was a bit of an oddity at one of the coin-operated lots near the arena. We went to a Saturday afternoon game, 4pm start. Parking is $3 on the weekends up to 6 pm. Ok, that's reasonable except the game doesn't end until 6:30'ish and there was no option for "maximum" payment that would extend beyond 6pm from the time of our arrival. The only other option would have been to purchase a second ticket for $3 from 6pm plus. Fortunately for us, one of the attendants drove in, we spotted his car, and he ended up writing a note on our parking ticket "do not ticket car" and signed his name.
Arena was nice enough; cushioned seats.

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Have not heard about the pipes in the floor are they fixing them in the off season just kind of surprised to read the prospect game being granted when their was uncertainty about the arena conditions.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

I posted an travel guide earlier in the forum as to where to get cheaper parking. Usually you can snag it for 3 bucks, or free behind city hall on Sundays.

Reactions: Dumpnchase17

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
Bulldogs win 6-1 in Mississauga! Mutter with two goals, Nurse with a goal and two assists, Kaliyev gets his 100th point of the season (becoming the first Bulldog to do so) and Zach Roy makes 22 saves in the win.

Bulldogs play again today vs the Wolves at FOC, who lost their game against Niagara last night.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
More likely the Flint Firebirds move than Hamilton--but it is a bit of a warning for the City of Hamilton to get going on a new arena. FirstOntario Centre is at or near the end of its life as a hockey facility--it needs to be replaced sooner than later.

But I thought Buffalo was a more likely option for the Bulldogs than Brantford--considering Branch wants to get a team in NY State to give Erie a rival..

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Clearly a high stick at the blue line from a Hamilton player to himself going in on the wing. No controversy.
So guys what is happening with Matsos please?

Medical leave of absence. They said that it wasn't related to what happened earlier this year, but who knows...

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

I'm skeptical, first because the team is hosting next year's top prospects game. Second, because Brantford last I heard wasn't looking into spending to even look at upgrading it, nevermind actually upgrading it. Third, the same account previous to this tweet is saying Flint is considering a move to Brantford (which given the owner issues, his son's age and that they are 19th in the OHL in attendance). Fourth, there are rumors about both Limeridge Mall and the Mercanti's possibly being involved with a build.

I'm not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility, especially given we don't quite know the status of the First Ontario ice line replacement situation (although my understanding is the lines will be investigated and the cost assessed, as soon as the season is over). However, going from sixth to eighth in attendance to take a chance in Brantford, to me seems like not as good an option as sticking it out in Hamilton until the city gets it act together.

That said, who really knows.

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
That really was a lousy game. is there a magic number for our entry into the playoffs?

Just couldn't get past Luukkonen despite peppering the heck out of him.

As far as magic number, that number is 2 games (or four points).

Barrie has 3 games in hand, with 5 left. That means they can earn a maximum of 10 points. We are currently 7 points ahead of them.

If we win our last 2 games (North Bay and Sudbury both away) then that will eliminate Barrie (at least as far as we are concerned, they could still overtake North Bay). The Bulldogs are still in control of their own destiny.

Conversely, if Barrie loses 2 games outside of Overtime (all away games except for one, Niagara, North Bay, Owen Sound, Niagara@home, Mississauga) they won't be able to earn enough points to pass us.

Barrie's schedule is a very tall task in my eyes. I don't see them running the gauntlet, given they have Niagara twice, say nothing of Owen Sound and Mississauga. Stranger things have happened though, as I can completely see them taking some of those games into Overtime, complicating things further. We'll find out tomorrow as the Colts are in Niagara, and with three games before Saturday, the ball is very much in Barrie's court right now.

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Anyways, after two games against Sudbury, I'm now hoping with get Niagara in the playoffs. Luukkonen is just that tough a nut to crack. 40 shots, didn't let one in, and there were some deadly chances that game.

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Anyways, after two games against Sudbury, I'm now hoping with get Niagara in the playoffs. Luukkonen is just that tough a nut to crack. 40 shots, didn't let one in, and there were some deadly chances that game.
Why you have very little success against Niagara this season.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Why you have very little success against Niagara this season.

I initially wanted Sudbury because I felt it played to our strengths. That our offense could crack their defense and their not as hot offense wouldn't expose our developing defense as much, so there was a better chance to get to the second round. That seemed to be the case when we played in October.

However, we've lost key parts of our offense since then, and Sudbury's defense seems far more impregnable then I thought. It's doing a great job of locking us down, in a less then exciting fashion. We've scored two goals against them in the last two games, that's not a good sign. At least against Niagara, it will be a fun and likely chippy series, and will make the organization a bit more money in away attendance.

Last year's series against Niagara was a fun time, apart from the officiating.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Looks like Niagara did us a solid and beat Barrie. Dogs win they are in, and they might not even need to do that.

The only two ways we don't make the playoffs now are if we go winless and Barrie runs the table, or Barrie wins three, gets an OT loss and wins the tie break against the dogs. Anyone know what the tie break is in the OHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad