Post-Game Talk: Hail Stan

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We'd be more livid that the team didn't score on either the major or double minor.

Double pissed off that it took the Devils just 4 seconds to score on theirs.
No we wouldn't.

I hate to say it, but they will probably castrate him a bit (like Kreider) if the league doesn't do it first. The league wants physical but not like THAT.
2 games, a fight and a few minutes of PT. A match penalty, and gone the next game. Lavy will sit him down and discuss.
I like it, but I don't. He does the team absolutely no good, by playing 1 forward down.
Kreider is a far better player after the goalie incident.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Still funny how a lot of their fanbase and other people around the league are still so focused on their goaltending. Which is no doubt an issue, and a big one at that.

But I did wonder how much of an effect Andrew Brunette had on that Devils team. He did a great job with Florida when Q got tossed, but failed in the playoffs. Got hired as an associate with the Devils, they immediately become good. Now it hasn't been that great in Nashville but what do you expect with that roster. The Devils however, are trash once again.

They extended the wrong guy in Ruff. Should've given Brunette the HC job.

Define "hasn't been great" for Nashville. Because Nashville is in front of the Devils nearly 60 games into the season, and that's with Saros playing like shit for 40 games, so that excuse doesn't fly either.

Anyone suggesting the standings would look like this at game 57 in the offseason either assumed Hughes and Hisch were injured for 45 games each, or would have been accused of being on drugs.

I think Brunette had WAY more impact than they realized.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_085242_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_085242_ESPN.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 3

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Honestly... was Rempe's hit legal? No. I don't think it was intentional, just a combination of his size and Bastian looking down like he is playing putt putt.

Do I give a flying f***? Absolutely not. Over the years we have watched players like Tom Wilson get away with murder and not get suspended, which makes me all the more OK with Rempe's hit and I'd encourage him to go out and do it again, and again, and again.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
No we wouldn't.

We'd be peachy with not scoring a goal on the man advantage for 9 minutes, or all the other PPs?

How about someone doing that to one of our players, player comes back into the game, gets laid out again, and no one else stands up for that player and instead that player has to take matters into their own hands?

Even with the penalties taken, they were playing undisciplined. That would have been exacerbated if the Devils actually converted.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Interesting logic there ... If Rempe can't make a body check without the primary contact being the shoulder, chest, or torso, he shouldn't make a body check. It will be hard for him because he's so tall, his shoulder is at other people's head height when they skating.

If the other guy skates into him and hits the head, that's a different story. But in this case Rempe actively threw a check.

Devils looked totally ineffective on their power play. strange. How often do you see a team kill off a major & a double minor?
So you think trouba shouldve let timo skate with his head down in game 7 direct to igors net front? Because what youre proposing is banning hard hits. You do realize that right? You are quite literally saying if a player is dumb enough to skate with their head buried you have to just skate by them and let them go

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Wow does it feel good to beatdown the Devils like that. Rangers just looked at a whole different level than NJ.

Igor has been an absolute savage in net since the all star break. Lights Out.

Ive felt all season that there are a couple teams that are more championship caliber than the Rangers, BUT if this is the Igor we get in the playoffs, and we dont have another injury anything is possible. We should be excited

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Nah I think most of us are acknowledging what the league is these days. Calling people names and being weird about it because someone says “no sorry that’s a penalty with how the league calls things” isn’t necessary. We’re not the ones you need to convince that the hit was clean, I don’t have Bettman in my contacts list.

I’m fine with everything about the bit except that he mostly blasted bastian in the face and that’s what the refs saw and that’s what he got penalized for and a 5 minute PP to the other team is bad even if they didnt score on it

I agree that the NHL rules can be inconsistent and it asks a lot of split second decisions to be made. That’s tough, but to be a regular in this league Rempe wil need to find that line. The refs and NHL won’t allow him to run wild out there with how big he is if he’s making borderline hits constantly
Should have clarified: most of us agree with the hit being a penalty but I’ve seen in GDT calls for suspension - this is what I was referring to. Rempe will need to learn how to control his hits maybe go 80% instead of 100% so to not put himself in this position but the hit itself was clean

Reactions: romba

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
So you think trouba shouldve let timo skate with his head down in game 7 direct to igors net front? Because what youre proposing is banning hard hits. You do realize that right? You are quite literally saying if a player is dumb enough to skate with their head buried you have to just skate by them and let them go
Again, if you can't make the check to the body, don't make the check. Checking a player flush in the head is not acceptable. It's pretty simple.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Sure, but from what I can tell, he had the ability to not make a hit to the head, and did. To me, given the danger of head injuries, I do not think it is something that should be legal.
Whatever "we" as fans think... the refs & league are gonna call that 100 times out of 100

I don't think Rempe meant to throw the elbow or shoulder to the head, but he's a big guy so those parts align with the head of many players league wide. In real time, it looked bad. Upon replay it still looked iffy.

Either way, intent or not, he's getting 5 & the gate almost every time.

Reactions: Greg02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
For all the couch potatoes making fun of us “tuffness matters” guys….. I have two words:

Toughness matters

It’s sport.
This game (harness it please) was the last step, the last "win in different ways", that needed to be added to this team. We can win 2-1 games, 5-4 games, finesse you to death, and now BEAT you into oblivion. The PP is reputable, the PK is usually outstanding and when push comes to shove, it's all about Shesty. Bring it on NHL, here come the Rangers!

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The point is the same facts will be interpreted differently depending on who hit who.

I'm not arguing about the legality of the hit.
The facts are the facts. I sure you’re right though, some people view facts more through a partisan lens than others of us do.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
For me, I'd be angry that the Ranger player had his head down and was vulnerable and would think we got lucky with a 5 min major called for what was a clean hit that caught the head. And then I'd hope that this would wake the Rangers up and that they would return the physicality. The devils didn't and makes this loss so much worse for them.
This is what Lindy does, puts himself in bad position to get hit hard and hurt. Again and again.
Drawing those type of penalties aren't good for your career. I am truly scared for the guy. I've had many hits to the head and at 63 doesn't bode well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The hits were totally different.

Trouba didn’t sprint 20 feet before landing his shot. Had Rempe just lined up Bastian and smoked him with his head down he doesn’t get tossed.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
The part I don’t like about Rempe’s hit is Bastian never truly had possession of the puck. The puck was whipped up the boards and deflected by Edstrom or whoever it was and Bastian never had the puck on his stick. This wasn’t a situation where Bastian is skating down the ice with his head down without paying attention. Those are on the player. This play happens often along the boards and players are in a vulnerable position. I think it’s reasonable for a player to not expect a huge hit in that situation.

I think The “kEeP yOuR hEaD uP” crowd are pretty ridiculous here. I won’t be surprised if Rempe gets 3+ games. If the kid picks his spots I think he’s can have a huge impact especially in the playoffs when things are more physical. You can tell the Devils were rattled after that hit and never recovered.

Reactions: Kords and will1066

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
How? Was he supposed to crouch down? The guy is like 6'8" and his arm was down. This is going to happen again because of his sheer size.
Needs to recognize the vulnerability and let up. Bastian was somewhat engaging with another Ranger which makes it even worse. If he lets up and still hits the head ,the league would be much more forgiving. The onus, whether we like it or not, is on the hitter. This isn't 1994 anymore. Trouba is great at hitting guys when they're standing tall, and crushing their chest or shoulder with hits. The key is his initial point of impact is not the head. Sometimes the head does get hit by trouba, but that's after he hits the should or chest and drives through. It's much more difficult to line guys up like he does. Or crush someone into the boards when they're facing you. You just can't destroy the head nearly full speed anymore and expect the league to shrug their shoulders because the guy getting hit was oblivious with his head down.

Just adding that unless you're living under a rock you KNOW there's lots of talk about head shots in sports, and lawsuits for early death/dementia. 'That's sports lol' works until you're getting class actioned by former players, getting terrible PR, and losing youth participation in the sport. The NHL needs to show they don't tolerate headshots so they can turn to the attackers and show how they severely penalize it and are doing their best to remove it from the game.

After the 04 lockout the NHL went full force on removing obstruction and if defenders so much as moved an inch to the side to impeded the attacker it was called interference. The end results was forwards FLYING through the NZ and blue line on dump ins, unimpeded, and when the weak side defender met them at the boards it was limbs and heads flying into the boards at top speed. The NHL quickly realized they need to slow down the players on dump ins and began to allow more movement out of the defenders lane to impeded the attacker, so even if the attacker got by, it was a more lateral approach with less end to end speed.

Last edited:

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
This deserves to be in the trash.

The amount of nonsense about "high danger" "5v5" and some truly bizarre pretend stats to show they got goalied and if they only had a goalie they'd be "Rangers top of the league in wins" good. There are still a few debbie fantasists that think the devils outplayed the Rangers. Seriously.

All I saw was the devils looking soft, small, scared and shaken all over the ice with not an ounce of compete in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad