Post-Game Talk: Hail Stan

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Worst part of the game was the 4-5 Ranger fans who actually thought the Rempe hit was worth the major and game misconduct. So sad. He was low the whole time and went for a hit to a player who was eligible to be hit. Players aren’t expected to duck if they are too big for the league.

Embarrassing call.
Yup, to them hockey should be contactless sport and on top of that - own colors mean nothing.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
People here would be losing their mind if a Devil did that to a Ranger.

The nature of fandom.
For me, I'd be angry that the Ranger player had his head down and was vulnerable and would think we got lucky with a 5 min major called for what was a clean hit that caught the head. And then I'd hope that this would wake the Rangers up and that they would return the physicality. The devils didn't and makes this loss so much worse for them.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_8663.gif

Laf‘s got ‘em

Debbies don’t

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think the thing is that those hits used to be legal. That's how Stevens made his career. But the league changed the rules and if the head is the principal point of contact then it's not a good hit, and unfortunately that's how Rempe's hit went. Doesn't matter that his form was clean, doesn't matter that Bastian was leaning or that Rempe is tall, the responsibility is on the guy in Rempe's spot to not throw a hit that primarily hits another player in the head.

It's fine to not like it, it's fine to say it's a dumb rule or whatever, but that's how it is so all the "it shouldn't have been a penalty!" should really just be "I don't like that rule that made it a penalty!" cuz otherwise it was definitely a penalty
Steven's was one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen.

He constantly aimed for the head with his shoulder pads.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think the rangers just effectively stuck a fork in the Devils season. Tough to bounce back when you’re already struggling and then get beat down like that.

Also Luke Hughes is Tyson Barrie with All Star Brothers.
Don’t think this is the case here or with the Isles because there’re so many games left and the East has still too many unclaimed playoff spots including 3rd in Metro and both wild cards. IMO what last night did for the Devs it’s made it more urgent to address their goalie situation.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm not as high on Rempe as most, but if he proves that he can take a regular 4th line shift with that crazy size and physicality, then he'll be a difference maker in games.

He has to find the line quickly though. No coach is going to give him a pat on the back for what he did last game. Hopefully if he gets suspended, it doesn't also spell the end of his chance up here this season.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I don’t even have a problem with the five and a game. But calling it a match penalty is unfair. Rempe jumped on the ice - first shift ever at MSG, I believe - and a guy was coming right at him. He had about half a second to decide what to do. He made the wrong call, I don’t take issue with that. But it wasn’t premeditated or really even that over the top.
Bastian was coming at Rempe?

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
People here would be losing their mind if a Devil did that to a Ranger.

The nature of fandom.
Why do I keep reading this? One of the beautiful things about hockey is that the game is policed by the players. I don't lose my mind at Marchand when he licks Callahan or when Wilson pulverizes Panrain. I'm mad at the Rangers for not imposing retribution. If youre getting bullied... you don't cry to the bully.

Reactions: Larrybiv

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think the fact he pretty much got a game should be enough but have feeling Rempe is gonna get a game or two. The pressure on the NHL to punish him is gonna be high.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
For me, I'd be angry that the Ranger player had his head down and was vulnerable and would think we got lucky with a 5 min major called for what was a clean hit that caught the head. And then I'd hope that this would wake the Rangers up and that they would return the physicality. The devils didn't and makes this loss so much worse for them.
Whatever your reaction might be, most of this thread would be fans freaking about the hit.

Reactions: Lua

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
If that game ended the Devils season yesterday, that was glorious. If somehow this version of the Devils sneak into the playoffs, not sure we should worry about them like we did at the start of the year. The good Hughes is clearly hurt. The bad Hughes was REALLY bad. Timo wasn't noticeable. There are gonna be a lot of surgeries for Devils players as soon as their season ends. They aren't right at the moment. That's clear.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Why do I keep reading this? One of the beautiful things about hockey is that the game is policed by the players. I don't lose my mind at Marchand when he licks Callahan or when Wilson pulverizes Panrain. I'm mad at the Rangers for not imposing retribution. If youre getting bullied... you don't cry to the bully.
Again, that might be your reaction, but if you think this board wouldn't be in flames if this was reversed, you don't know the board.

When Wilson ragdolled Panarin, most of the people here wanted him killed.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Just wanted to point out Rangers have 38 wins, most in the league. 1 point behind Boston with a game in hand, 1 point behind Vancouver with 2 games in hand.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yup, to them hockey should be contactless sport and on top of that - own colors mean nothing.
Nah I think most of us are acknowledging what the league is these days. Calling people names and being weird about it because someone says “no sorry that’s a penalty with how the league calls things” isn’t necessary. We’re not the ones you need to convince that the hit was clean, I don’t have Bettman in my contacts list.

I’m fine with everything about the bit except that he mostly blasted bastian in the face and that’s what the refs saw and that’s what he got penalized for and a 5 minute PP to the other team is bad even if they didnt score on it

I agree that the NHL rules can be inconsistent and it asks a lot of split second decisions to be made. That’s tough, but to be a regular in this league Rempe wil need to find that line. The refs and NHL won’t allow him to run wild out there with how big he is if he’s making borderline hits constantly

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Again, that might be your reaction, but if you think this board wouldn't be in flames if this was reversed, you don't know the board.

When Wilson ragdolled Panarin, most of the people here wanted him killed.
Whether a majority of people on this board would be in flames or not is irrelevant as to whether it was dirty or not. Factually his mechanics were clean. Gliding, elbow down, head was not a target Bastien lead with it, followed through to Bastien’s core, didn’t leave his feet, didn’t even hit him as hard as he could have. It was a hockey hit, at worst a 2 min charging, in no way an attempt to injure. Wilson grabbed a player by the hair, after the whistle, and slammed him backwards to the ice, if Rempe had done that I wouldn’t be arguing the match penalty. THAT is not a hockey play.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
He hit the guy flush in the head. Dirty or not, it's a problem. Rempe needs to figure how to deliver hits without doing that. It will be tough for him because he is much taller than everybody else (except Edstrom).
Let me ask you this, considering his elbow was tucked, and it was his bicep that hit his head. Would it have been better if he turned last second and hit Bastian’s head with his back rather than his bicep? If not then it is okay to say you want hitting out of the game

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think the thing is that those hits used to be legal. That's how Stevens made his career. But the league changed the rules and if the head is the principal point of contact then it's not a good hit, and unfortunately that's how Rempe's hit went. Doesn't matter that his form was clean, doesn't matter that Bastian was leaning or that Rempe is tall, the responsibility is on the guy in Rempe's spot to not throw a hit that primarily hits another player in the head.

It's fine to not like it, it's fine to say it's a dumb rule or whatever, but that's how it is so all the "it shouldn't have been a penalty!" should really just be "I don't like that rule that made it a penalty!" cuz otherwise it was definitely a penalty
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad