Post-Game Talk: Hail Stan

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I think the thing is that those hits used to be legal. That's how Stevens made his career. But the league changed the rules and if the head is the principal point of contact then it's not a good hit, and unfortunately that's how Rempe's hit went. Doesn't matter that his form was clean, doesn't matter that Bastian was leaning or that Rempe is tall, the responsibility is on the guy in Rempe's spot to not throw a hit that primarily hits another player in the head.

It's fine to not like it, it's fine to say it's a dumb rule or whatever, but that's how it is so all the "it shouldn't have been a penalty!" should really just be "I don't like that rule that made it a penalty!" cuz otherwise it was definitely a penalty
Stop that. Scott stevens was straight up head hunting. Hed launch, stick and elbow out and all. Rempe stayed low, glided, elbow tucked, textbook hit. Scott stevens wouldve charged, launched put elbow up

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Shesty losing his shut out because for the last 10 minutes, the Rangers were more concerned about getting Laf a hat trick than scoring. That's a special level of disrespect that I was enjoying immensely. Easy goals that instead we force passed to Laf cause the game was a blow out. To a rival. In their building. WIth their season slipping away.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Honestly I'm liking the energy Rempe is bringing but hits like that will lose us games. Say what you want about keeping your head up etc but you can't hit the head directly like that. If somebody hit a Ranger like that we'd be losing our minds.

He's trying to make an impact but I'm seeing alot of Ryan Hollweg in Rempe. You just can't throw hits to the head like that.

He throws that hit in the playoffs it could lose us a series. He's not gonna play in the playoffs but he's gotta realize it's not open season out there
Yeah, just needs to calm down a bit. I get that you are a 4th liner, you are expected to bring some grit. But another part of being a 4th liner is being someone the coach can trust. Play a sound defensive game, don't take risks. If the coach doesn't trust you not doing stupid shit (be it suicide passes or borderline hits), you are going to get sent back down. Going for the big hits can be counterintuitive if you don't get it right, and Rempe didn't get it right this time.

Reactions: haveandare

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Devils are down bad. Nobody looked good.
Timo is barely there.
Still funny how a lot of their fanbase and other people around the league are still so focused on their goaltending. Which is no doubt an issue, and a big one at that.

But I did wonder how much of an effect Andrew Brunette had on that Devils team. He did a great job with Florida when Q got tossed, but failed in the playoffs. Got hired as an associate with the Devils, they immediately become good. Now it hasn't been that great in Nashville but what do you expect with that roster. The Devils however, are trash once again.

They extended the wrong guy in Ruff. Should've given Brunette the HC job.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I especially enjoyed the beating the Rangers put on Luke Hughes. Mika ran him over literally at one point. I mean literally ran him over. The two brothers cried all night. It was men against boys. And it had little to do with goaltending. They could have had markstrom last night wouldn’t have mattered. We absolutely buried them.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
to think that the year you started watching 9/11 happened. feels like a lifetime ago

Yeah man, though that was next season. Someone recently posted a video of a Rangers-Devils game from that season and it was so surreal felt like yesterday. I remembered all of the commercials and I think I even remembered the interviews.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Yeah, I didnt realize how abysmal they are. They honestly came off as one of the worst teams the Rangers played this season. It guess its a ripple effect that started with Dougie’s injury?
For all the devils young guys with speed it is Hamilton's outlets that really set up their transition game. He's a great player and has been missed immensely.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That was a total womp and stomp on their asses. That was a nice change of pace.
Now I see why our team doesn't do this often. Boring. Haha. Totally annihilated them, making them look like an ahl team. How many 2 on 1's, and 3 on 2's? I believe I saw a 4 on 1, didn't I? Just toying with them, going out of their way to get Laffy his hatty. Think I saw Panatin apologizing to Laffy, when he gave puck to Trochek for his goal. 9 is awesome, 10 is double figures and better. Btw, haven't lost this month.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Let me ask you this, considering his elbow was tucked, and it was his bicep that hit his head. Would it have been better if he turned last second and hit Bastian’s head with his back rather than his bicep? If not then it is okay to say you want hitting out of the game
Interesting logic there ... If Rempe can't make a body check without the primary contact being the shoulder, chest, or torso, he shouldn't make a body check. It will be hard for him because he's so tall, his shoulder is at other people's head height when they skating.

If the other guy skates into him and hits the head, that's a different story. But in this case Rempe actively threw a check.

We'd be more livid that the team didn't score on either the major or double minor.

Double pissed off that it took the Devils just 4 seconds to score on theirs.
Devils looked totally ineffective on their power play. strange. How often do you see a team kill off a major & a double minor?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
One day we will get to see Rempe play more than 3 min a game lol
Guy is just so mean, big and tall if he connects with someone its gonna look bad no matter what.
I hate to say it, but they will probably castrate him a bit (like Kreider) if the league doesn't do it first. The league wants physical but not like THAT.
2 games, a fight and a few minutes of PT. A match penalty, and gone the next game. Lavy will sit him down and discuss.
I like it, but I don't. He does the team absolutely no good, by playing 1 forward down.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Devils will have quite a bit of cap room this off-season to work on their roster but they will lose Toffoli, likely, as a UFA. Assuming they re-sign Mercer for 2 years @ $3m per season, they should have ~$16m in cap space with this lineup.

That's without McLeod as well as I'm not sure where he's going to be but he is also a RFA. I think you'll see them upgrade heavily on defense for sure if they can and they will need another winger to push Bastian down

1708699543395.png

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Shesty losing his shut out because for the last 10 minutes, the Rangers were more concerned about getting Laf a hat trick than scoring. That's a special level of disrespect that I was enjoying immensely. Easy goals that instead we force passed to Laf cause the game was a blow out. To a rival. In their building. WIth their season slipping away.
Rangers are prone to this sort of goofiness. It's annoying, esp when the broadcasters get into it & seem to encourage dumb plays.

I can see them wanting to pump up Laffy, but what they were doing last night at the end of the game has nothing to do with playoff hockey ... which is still a question with this team. Can they button it down when they need to?

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Devils looked totally ineffective on their power play. strange. How often do you see a team kill off a major & a double minor?

I consider it cosmic karma because that fanbase for the longest time were saying that the Rangers live and die on the PP, and look how inept they are now.

4 PPGs on their last 68 attempts? That's why they are where they are now: beneath us!

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I consider it cosmic karma because that fanbase for the longest time were saying that the Rangers live and die on the PP, and look how inept they are now.

4 PPGs on their last 68 attempts? That's why they are where they are now: beneath us!
They looked terrible - really surprising - last year I thought they had great things ahead of them.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Whether a majority of people on this board would be in flames or not is irrelevant as to whether it was dirty or not. Factually his mechanics were clean. Gliding, elbow down, head was not a target Bastien lead with it, followed through to Bastien’s core, didn’t leave his feet, didn’t even hit him as hard as he could have. It was a hockey hit, at worst a 2 min charging, in no way an attempt to injure. Wilson grabbed a player by the hair, after the whistle, and slammed him backwards to the ice, if Rempe had done that I wouldn’t be arguing the match penalty. THAT is not a hockey play.
The point is the same facts will be interpreted differently depending on who hit who.

I'm not arguing about the legality of the hit.

Reactions: bhamill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad