LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
No it really didn’t, it’s already been reported there was very little interest (twice) in a guy who can put up some points once in a while but other than that was washed up and not very good at anything else.

that would also explain how he played for so many teams at the end of his career

i have yet to see the similarities to Kovy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
that would also explain how he played for so many teams at the end of his career

i have yet to see the similarities to Kovy

Weak defensively, gets most of his points on a PP, more offensive starts, produces but is slow and not great at anything else. Could be used to describe Vanek or Kovalchuk.

And yes these types of players can be found for free in free agency but no one is going to pay a 1st +. Even less likely for a guy who was bought out half way through the year, not wanted by anyone, and has now just had a good 15 games.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Weak defensively, gets most of his points on a PP, more offensive starts, produces but is slow and not great at anything else. Could be used to describe Vanek or Kovalchuk.

And yes these types of players can be found for free in free agency but no one is going to pay a 1st +. Even less likely for a guy who was bought out half way through the year, not wanted by anyone, and has now just had a good 15 games.

he has 2 PPP with the Habs lol

Reactions: Edgy

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Ive also seen a TON of players have great play in small samples and go back to being bad hockey players. It happens essentially every single season.
As does the opposite.
Point is if Brian Boyle nets a 2nd, so will kovalchuk.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
he has 2 PPP with the Habs lol

Wanna check his overall stats? But sure, I forgot in Habs land all we do is look at the last 15 games played. I get you guys haven’t seen a good offensive player in a long time, but calm down on the hype. There’s about a 0% chance he gets a 1st, never mind the 1st plus that some of you are expecting

Reactions: ImJustJokinen

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Wanna check his overall stats? But sure, I forgot in Habs land all we do is look at the last 15 games played. I get you guys haven’t seen a good offensive player in a long time, but calm down on the hype. There’s about a 0% chance he gets a 1st, never mind the 1st plus that some of you are expecting

that's all we care about, you're right about that

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
As does the opposite.
Point is if Brian Boyle nets a 2nd, so will kovalchuk.

If Vanek can only get a 3rd, Kovalchuk will too. I can play that game just as easily.

If say Joe Thornton or Marleau put up 12pts in their last 15 games would you expect San Jose to ask for a 1st +?

I could see a team being desperate and trading a 2nd because those are shots in the dark anyways, but I’m arguing against posters saying he’s worth a 1st +. That definitely won’t happen.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Kovy is a perfect fit in Montreal. He's liked by the fans, he's liked in the locker room, and on top of all that he's been playing great.
imo they should re-sign him.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
If Vanek can only get a 3rd, Kovalchuk will too. I can play that game just as easily.

If say Joe Thornton or Marleau put up 12pts in their last 15 games would you expect San Jose to ask for a 1st +?

I could see a team being desperate and trading a 2nd because those are shots in the dark anyways, but I’m arguing against posters saying he’s worth a 1st +. That definitely won’t happen.

I can see Marleau/Thornton getting 2nds for their experience/leadership - not for what they might contribute offensively. again, this is apples and oranges

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I can see Marleau/Thornton getting 2nds for their experience/leadership - not for what they might contribute offensively. again, this is apples and oranges

And how are two old players with small, one year salaries, who haven’t been very productive for over a year, were once very good, and producing 12pts in 15 games apples and oranges? I’m excited to hear this.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
But again, Vanek was literally just as productive as Kovalchuk was and he didn't bring back a 2nd. Vanek had 18 points in 23 games in 2017 before getting traded, it didn't matter as he only brought back a 3rd round pick.

Oh boy, we've reached homer levels of mentioning GWGs now. Okay, this conversation is going nowhere productive.

A 2nd and a 3rd are really not that big of a difference. You have made some good points but I'm not sure if you have taken into account the low salary with many teams not having much space. I feel that's what pushes him into the 2nd round return area. Personally I would try to keep him as a habs fan, guys been exciting here. Cheers

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
And how are two old players with small, one year salaries, who haven’t been very productive for over a year, were once very good, and producing 12pts in 15 games apples and oranges? I’m excited to hear this.

because Kovy is showing that he's still very good

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Should we say Kovalchuk is an old, unproductive player on a hot streak.. Or just that he was a bad fit on a terrible team who had zero clue how to properly use such type of player ?

The thing is, Kovalchuk became good again as soon as his first shift at the Bell Centre. I have no idea whether he'll get traded, and for what, but he earned the benefice of the doubt so far. Maybe those last two years were the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: BHD

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
because Kovy is showing that he's still very good

No, he’s shown he’s good for 15 games. So I’ll ask again, if Marleau and Thornton put up 12pts in their next 15 games will they now be worth a 1st + because it erases their previous two seasons like Kovalchuk?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, he’s shown he’s good for 15 games. So I’ll ask again, if Marleau and Thornton put up 12pts in their next 15 games will they now be worth a 1st + because it erases their previous two seasons like Kovalchuk?

They will be worth jack because the deadline will be passed.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

lemme know when Thornton and Marleau look like they're 35 again

Reactions: Toastman

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
lemme know when Thornton and Marleau look like they're 35 again

Im asking IF they did, would they all of a sudden be worth a 1st because of a good 15 games? Because that’s exactly what you are saying about Kovalchuk. Funny how it seems to change when it’s not a Habs player...

Kovalchuk was worth exactly nothing 15 games ago :laugh:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Should we say Kovalchuk is an old, unproductive player on a hot streak.. Or just that he was a bad fit on a terrible team who had zero clue how to properly use such type of player ?

The thing is, Kovalchuk became good again as soon as his first shift at the Bell Centre. I have no idea whether he'll get traded, and for what, but he earned the benefice of the doubt so far. Maybe those last two years were the exception, not the rule.
for sure, this is a guy who realizes he doesn't have many chances left. THAT being said, he's in a hockey-crazed market (something he's never experienced before), which loves its stars - even over-the-hill, he's being used properly (17-20 mins a night) on a team that is looking for a shooter. Habs have one of the fastest teams in the league, great possession numbers but can't score - especially when gallagher, drouin and armia were out for extended periods of time. he's in his chair here. Can he keep it up? he doesn't have to. He can contribute at 20 goals in the year. He's playing with suzuki, who looks for him all over the ice and armia, who is a puck-winner. Or he plays with Domi, who's also a playmaker.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Im asking IF they did, would they all of a sudden be worth a 1st because of a good 15 games? Because that’s exactly what you are saying about Kovalchuk. Funny how it seems to change when it’s not a Habs player...

maybe, i don't know. i'm more concerned with my team

actually, Marleau was traded for a 1st recently :sarcasm:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Kovalchuk isn’t worth a 1st. No team will pay that. A 2nd doesn’t seem unreasonable considering we’re talking a playoff bound team and the 2nd will be late. To base his value on what he was worth prior to signing in Montreal is just being willfully ignorant to to the context of the situation. He’s produced. He’s brought energy. hes always been a great locker room guy. He’s been defensively responsible (for the most part. )

Hell. Even Toronto biased TSN has him #3 on their trade deadline list

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Over the statistics, you should consider the impact of his points. People who watched the games would tell you that we should be 6-8 pts less than where we are and out of the playoff picture. Its an important miss than many stats viewers maybe dont know about and one of the many reasons that explains the buzz in town about Ilya.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Kovalchuk isn’t worth a 1st. No team will pay that. A 2nd doesn’t seem unreasonable considering we’re talking a playoff bound team and the 2nd will be late. To base his value on what he was worth prior to signing in Montreal is just being willfully ignorant to to the context of the situation. He’s produced. He’s brought energy. hes always been a great locker room guy. He’s been defensively responsible (for the most part. )

Hell. Even Toronto biased TSN has him #3 on their trade deadline list

Yes. This is what I’ve been saying. I could see a 2nd possibly as scoring is a need for a few contenders, but no possible way he’s getting a 1st + like some Habs fans are expecting. I’m not basing his value on his previous stint because that would mean he’s worth nothing. But I’m also not ignoring it like a large number of fans are doing.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Yes. This is what I’ve been saying. I could see a 2nd possibly as scoring is a need for a few contenders, but no possible way he’s getting a 1st + like some Habs fans are expecting. I’m not basing his value on his previous stint because that would mean he’s worth nothing. But I’m also not ignoring it like a large number of fans are doing.
Ok. Cool. I guess I should have read the entire thread before commenting. It’s just tiring reading “we could have had him for free. Why would we give up anything for him now”. I assumed you fell into that camp. Lol. But yeah. A 2nd is likely the most Montreal gets if they move him. A 1st+ is a ridiculous expectation

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Did you even read the post you replied to? Or any of my posts for that matter?

Show me where I said kovalchuk will get us a 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad