LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol okay sure Habs, whatever you say.

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
It’s gonna end up being a 3rd.

1) He will probably cool off
2) Still has a certain reputation that he needs to overcome. There’s a reason it took so long for him to get signed. Guy only works well in the perfect situation for him.
3) That positive attitude in the dressing room will turn to moping if the team is clearly out of it and doesn’t trade him. Other teams know this. That will hurt his market value.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
he's been terrific with suzuki and armia...maybe he ends up with domi and drouin when jonathan returns..
regardless, habs shouldn't move him for anything less and they should sign him for another year to give kids like
caufield more time to develop

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
why would a team bite at that asking price, guy was sitting on his couch unemployed and any team could have signed him to league minimum.

Should be a pick with conditions on it for rounds played in or games played etc.

If a GM is dumb enough to give a 2nd rounder for him he should be fired imo

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
If anything they should being thinking about giving him a 1yr extension depending on his asking price $ wise then flip him next year if he plays like this then he could be worth that type of return.

Also, be good to have around the kids as another person posted, just my west coast 2 cents anyway

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
If the Habs can get a 2nd, take it and run. It was a low risk move bringing him to MTL and if they can flip that for a 2nd this fast, there's no reason not to. I don't know if he can draw a 2nd though, you can't forget about what he did with the Kings and only rely on how he's played on the Habs.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
GMs will be to prideful to give up a 2nd for a guy they could have had for free a month ago.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I would laugh if someone actually offered a 2nd for Kovalchuk and Bergevin said no because of Locker Room intangibles

Reactions: Price is Wright

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Lol okay sure Habs, whatever you say.

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.
“Could have had”. Is the key. Just about everyone in the league figured he was done as an NHL player. His stint with Montreal shows otherwise. What he WAS worth and what he IS worth now are not the same thing

kevrondl

Dec 29, 2008
Oshawa, ON
I could see a conditional 4th. Becomes a 3rd if the team makes the conference finals and a 2nd if they reach the SC finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->