LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Given his play....I want a late first for him...otherwise we keep him as a mentor to the younger players on a 2 year contract. His value in the locker room and as a leader on this team is now worth more than a 2nd. He is needing an overpay, which I'm sure most teams wouldn't do, but who knows

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Bet he resigns with MTL. All signs and comments point to the fact that he's in 7th heaven. Says he's never felt so good and comfortable playing in a market like this. He and his kids were having a blast in the snow the other day and the kids apparently couldn't get enough.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Kovalchuk isn’t worth a 2nd rounder. The guy got bought out. No team wanted him except Montreal who gave him a chance with a 1/2 year league minimum contract.

He’s shown in a very small sample size that he could possibly be effective given the right situation and circumstances making him worth a mid round pick. No value to mid round pick is great for the Canadiens.
Possibly be effective? 12 points in 15 games is possibly effective now?
He got bought out, big whoop. Panarin was undrafted, so by your logic he's not worth anything.
Brian Boyle was traded for a 2nd round pick last year so Boyle is better than Kovalchuck?

Hab fans need to get over the fact that he's on a new team high and his play is NOT sustainable, and most GMs are smart enough to know that.

Any GM handing over a top 100 pick for him is going to regret that decision.
Why is it unsustainable? 0.8ppg is not an outrageous production rate.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hab fans need to get over the fact that he's on a new team high and his play is NOT sustainable, and most GMs are smart enough to know that.

Any GM handing over a top 100 pick for him is going to regret that decision.

Habs fans realize that this team isn’t that far off a playoff spot at the moment and will surely want to keep him depending on how this week goes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"Kovalchuk isnt worth a 2nd round pick"

*Looks back at all the 3rd and 4th line scrubs that return 2nd round picks every season*

Yeah, okay guys. Maybe it's time to stop overrating 2nd round picks.

Who are all of these 3rd and 4th line scrubs that return 2nd rounders every season? And a better question, why are not comparable players relevant to what Kovalchuk may bring back this year?

Guys like Kovalchuk go for anywhere between a 2nd and a 6th at deadlines. The high end has guys like Johansson, while the low end has guys like Parenteau. It's more likely that he falls below a 2nd as a return than he brings back a 2nd or more based on past trades. My guess is a conditional 3rd that could get higher based on team success or individual success.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I would keep Kovy he is such a positive on Suzuki and that is worth more then any second pick. Suzuki has a chance of becoming a 1st line center and I think Kovy has big impact on the kid.

Reactions: waitin425

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Honestly, i could see it end up being a conditional 4th round pick with the following conditions:
- becomes a 3rd if the team makes it past the first round.
- becomes a 2nd if the team makes it past the second round OR resigns him.
- becomes a 1st if they make it to the SCF AND Kovy scores 14 points or more during the entire playoffs.

This seems fair to me... idk what everyone else thinks?

This is pretty good for a first post, IMO. Welcome.

I can see the pick possibly being conditional, but a 3rd rounder at worst and not with the option to become a 1st (if only because a team isn't going to want to wait until June to know if they'll have a 1st rounder or not). Something similar to the Jack Campbell trade seems possible to me: a 3rd rounder that becomes a 2nd rounder if the acquiring team makes the playoffs (possibly with Kovalchuk scoring a certain number of points)... or, if it's to a team almost sure to make the playoffs, a 2nd rounder if the team makes it past the first round (possibly with him playing in a certain number of games that round).

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Who are all of these 3rd and 4th line scrubs that return 2nd rounders every season? And a better question, why are not comparable players relevant to what Kovalchuk may bring back this year?

Guys like Kovalchuk go for anywhere between a 2nd and a 6th at deadlines. The high end has guys like Johansson, while the low end has guys like Parenteau. It's more likely that he falls below a 2nd as a return than he brings back a 2nd or more based on past trades. My guess is a conditional 3rd that could get higher based on team success or individual success.

guys like Polak got two 2nds. Plekanec got a 2nd.

guys like Kovy go for a 2nd to 6th? please name some names

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
guys like Polak got two 2nds. Plekanec got a 2nd.

guys like Kovy go for a 2nd to 6th? please name some names

Polak has absolutely no relevance to this discussion, you're not just comparing different players but entirely different positions. Plekanec was a strong defensive 3C when he was traded, and centers have more value than wingers, so I don't know how you think that helps your case. He was certainly not a scrub player.

And for some names, past trades have Johansson and Hudler at the high end and Parenteau and Pirri on the low end. In the middle, you have guys like Purcell (3rd rounder in 2016) and Vanek (3rd rounder in 2017). To me, Vanek is the best comparable out there for Kovalchuk and he was traded for a 3rd rounder while he had 38 points in 48 games for the Wings. He was also traded for borderline nothing the next year, when he had 41 points in 61 games and was traded for Motte and Jokinen.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Polak has absolutely no relevance to this discussion, you're not just comparing different players but entirely different positions. Plekanec was a strong defensive 3C when he was traded, and centers have more value than wingers, so I don't know how you think that helps your case. He was certainly not a scrub player.

And for some names, past trades have Johansson and Hudler at the high end and Parenteau and Pirri on the low end. In the middle, you have guys like Purcell (3rd rounder in 2016) and Vanek (3rd rounder in 2017). To me, Vanek is the best comparable out there for Kovalchuk and he was traded for a 3rd rounder while he had 41 points in 61 games.

it also came with McIlrath

you managed to name a bunch of players with higher salaries and lesser talent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
he also came with McIlrath

you managed to name a bunch of players with higher salaries and lesser talent

Who was a contract dump. Do you seriously think a fighter 24 year old AHL defenseman had any value at the time? McIlrath was traded earlier in that same year for an AHL defenseman and a 7th round pick, he had no value.

If you seriously think that Kovalchuk is somehow going to bring back a sizeable better return than Vanek, well good luck because you're going to be super disappointed. The only way that Kovalchuk brings back noticeably more than Vanek is if the market is so dry on wingers that someone gets desperate.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Vanek had 38 points in 48 games before being traded that year. He had essentially the same production per game as Kovalchuk, and he had been doing it for 3x as many games that year.

If Kovalchuk keeps getting on the scoresheet before the deadline, then a 2nd isn't outrageous. Most buyers are looking for a productive player making league minimum.

Take Marcus Johansson for example. He had 27 points before being traded to the Bruins for (guess what) a second round pick.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Who was a contract dump. Do you seriously think a fighter 24 year old AHL defenseman had any value at the time? McIlrath was traded earlier in that same year for an AHL defenseman and a 7th round pick, he had no value.

If you seriously think that Kovalchuk is somehow going to bring back a sizeable better return than Vanek, well good luck because you're going to be super disappointed. The only way that Kovalchuk brings back noticeably more than Vanek is if the market is so dry on wingers that someone gets desperate.

hey, i'd rather keep Kovy than trade him for 3rd and a plug. i can't see where Vanek put up 3 GWGs in 15 games at the end of his career. they're two completely different talents

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Kovalchuk keeps getting on the scoresheet before the deadline, then a 2nd isn't outrageous. Most buyers are looking for a productive player making league minimum.

But again, Vanek was literally just as productive as Kovalchuk was and he didn't bring back a 2nd. Vanek had 18 points in 23 games in 2017 before getting traded, it didn't matter as he only brought back a 3rd round pick.

hey, i'd rather keep Kovy than trade him for 3rd and a plug. i can't see where Vanek put up 3 GWGs in 15 games at the end of his career. they're two completely different talents

Oh boy, we've reached homer levels of mentioning GWGs now. Okay, this conversation is going nowhere productive.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of teams are looking for scoring. Ovy will be the back up plan to somebody's back up plan. MTL should be able to get a 2nd for him. Talks of a 1st are pretty crazy though.

Reactions: BHD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yeah, bringing up GWGs is some homer ****. who cares about winning games

Brandon Tanev has more GWG this year than anyone on the Habs. Therefore, he's better than everyone on the Habs, and if you think that's me just being a homer, you don't care about winning games.

Am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad