LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm obviously no Habs fan, but on that team? 12 in 17 is pretty impressive for a guy that is still getting used to a new system/linemates.

12 in 17 isn't bad for a guy getting 20 minutes a night and a lot of offensive opportunities. 5 over the last 10 is less impressive though, and the worrying part.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
12 in 17 isn't bad for a guy getting 20 minutes a night and a lot of offensive opportunities. 5 over the last 10 is less impressive though, and the worrying part.
Team has been flu ridden and dealing with injuries, not making excuses for Kovi as i have never been a fan...but he seems to be working hard right now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Team has been flu ridden and dealing with injuries, not making excuses for Kovi as i have never been a fan...but he seems to be working hard right now.

If a player is getting 20 minutes a night and not scoring, part of the blame for their team not scoring falls on them. The last thing the Flames, and many other teams need, is a guy who can't drive the offence.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Supply and demand. Undecided if he is worth the second but I think they will get it. To the right team, he can make an impact. I wouldn't love to give up isles 2nd but I wouldn't hate hit. I can see him going .75 ppg down the stretch with some valuable PP experience if isles get him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If a player is getting 20 minutes a night and not scoring, part of the blame for their team not scoring falls on them. The last thing the Flames, and many other teams need, is a guy who can't drive the offence.

Except Kovalchuk is driving the Habs anemic offense and costs only 700K. He's a fit for teams that are cap-contrained and the cost would only be a 3rd / 2nd depending on the market at TDL.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Oh i am certainly not advocating the Flames or any other specific team trade for him...i just see him being a decent pickup for somebody.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Supply and demand. Undecided if he is worth the second but I think they will get it. To the right team, he can make an impact. I wouldn't love to give up isles 2nd but I wouldn't hate hit. I can see him going .75 ppg down the stretch with some valuable PP experience if isles get him.
2020 2nd for Kovy and Nate Thompson to backfill some of your injuries

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Too many people seem to solely focus on his abilities and offensive output when it comes to assessing his value. His value is bumped up by the ridiculously low sum that he is still owed on this 1-year contract.

With that said, he has slowed down after a hot start and it would be in his and the Habs interest if he raised his game until the deadline.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Drive the offense when 2/3rds of our top 6 was out for one reason or another how exactly? He's not McJesus.

He's also not going to a playoff bound team to be their go to guy, he's going to be depth scoring. A 2nd for a guy that can score and fill in a top 6 spot in case of injury for 700k is a steal in the cap era

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
If a wildcard team offer a 3rd, he might accept it when Byron is back (with the 3rd straight lost). But he will probably wait until the deadline if Boston/Washington/TB/St-Louis/Pitts offer a 3rd.

If Kovalchuk want to stay, he might value his chemistry with the young guys over a 3rd round pick. We already have 11 picks, so I would definitely keep him (instead of a 3rd) if they think he can help a guy like Suzuki to become better, or help Drouin take the next step.

But, hE wAs FrEe A mOnTh AgO, so there's NO WAY we get a late 2nd.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Kovalchuk is averaging 3.25 shots/game in 8 games in February, but shooting% is only 3.8%. He continues to generate chances, they just haven't been going in of late.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
It means he started off a PPG in Montreal, but his play has dropped off significantly since that start. Any team that gives up something substantial for him is making a mistake.

Have you watched him play? He has been dangerous each game. He’s not a ppg player but he still has his wheels, is physical, and has been clutch. And by all accounts he is a great team guy.

A contender plugging him into the top 9, 15 mins a game, would do real well for a late second. Watch him play, he is clearly not anywhere close to being done.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Drive the offense when 2/3rds of our top 6 was out for one reason or another how exactly? He's not McJesus.

He's also not going to a playoff bound team to be their go to guy, he's going to be depth scoring. A 2nd for a guy that can score and fill in a top 6 spot in case of injury for 700k is a steal in the cap era

exactly, for a second you are looking for depth scoring. A guy that over 15 playoff games can chip in a few key goals, maybe a big overtime winner, a big PP goal.

having watched him play I see very little downside. Anyone scouting him will see he still has sick hands, a big shot, can pace the play and is surprisingly physical. And every team can take the non existent cap, and he appears to be a real team guy.

when Habs got him I figured mid round pick at best. I’d be disappointed with anything worse then a second now tbh. Thats not homer evaluation, anyone that is curious watch the game tonight. He can still flat out play, the rumours of his demise are false. In fact I’d rather keep him them get a second but don’t believe that was the deal when he signed - I think MB promised to get him in the playoffs.

Reactions: Edgy

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Have you watched him play? He has been dangerous each game. He’s not a ppg player but he still has his wheels, is physical, and has been clutch. And by all accounts he is a great team guy.

A contender plugging him into the top 9, 15 mins a game, would do real well for a late second. Watch him play, he is clearly not anywhere close to being done.
We've all watched him play. He's slow. He's only capable of one thing.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Well so some of you have seen him play, " SLOW' will become cant skate and a few posts later Kovy has his both legs amputated and has to have team mates roll him down the ice in a wheelchair. SHOOT well how? since he has NO HANDS anymore and old people all have arthirtus and can't lift their arms above their heads, "SCORE" well sure he can score but is he good in the room? will he help the kids? will he take orders from the coach? or is he going to DESTROY the team all by himself, if you want me to take him off you hands the only thing you going to get is a late late late 3rd rounder that will NEVER play in the nhl, you had better take my offer and run for the hills fast fast fast. Habs will get a 2nd round pick or NOBODY will get KOVY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->