LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Brandon Tanev has more GWG this year than anyone on the Habs. Therefore, he's better than everyone on the Habs, and if you think that's me just being a homer, you don't care about winning games.

Am I doing this right?

sure, why not. it's not like the Pens are a much better team

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Shaw returned a 2nd and 3rd just this past summer. Definition of a bottom 6 scrub

Plekanec was completely washed, like hanging on the clothesline, and he returned a 2nd

A 2nd is not out of the realm of possibility...

Guys like Maroon, Letestu, etc - are 3rd+ round fodder.

Reactions: frapp10 and shello

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
sure, why not. it's not like the Pens are a much better team

They are a better team, and Tanev has been part of that.

It's still silly to compare him to Kovalchuk though. He scores more goals (than Tanev) and is therefore more likely to score the GWG, hence why teams would want him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Possibly be effective? 12 points in 15 games is possibly effective now?
He got bought out, big whoop. Panarin was undrafted, so by your logic he's not worth anything.
Brian Boyle was traded for a 2nd round pick last year so Boyle is better than Kovalchuck?

Why is it unsustainable? 0.8ppg is not an outrageous production rate.

I’d hope you can see the difference between a teenager not being drafted like 5 years before he entered the NHL and a late 30 year old playing two very bad seasons in the NHL and being bought out by one of the worst teams in the league....

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
They are a better team, and Tanev has been part of that.

It's still silly to compare him to Kovalchuk though. He scores more goals (than Tanev) and is therefore more likely to score the GWG, hence why teams would want him.
Tanev over kovalchuk hands down

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Since Montreal is intent on competing next year I would just keep him if I were them.

At this point I can see this happening unless Kovalchuk prefers to be dealt to a contender at the deadline. If so hold out until the final minutes before the deadline ends and take the best offer currently on the table. I'm starting to think he will remain a Hab though and won't be moved.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Keep him you struck gold, even if short term, he might help you get into the playoffs where we all know anything can happen.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
guys like Polak got two 2nds. Plekanec got a 2nd.

guys like Kovy go for a 2nd to 6th? please name some names

You really can’t compare D at all.

Plekanec plays an entirely different game, position and place on a team.

Nyquist who’s been a consistent ~50pt player got a 2nd + 3rd last deadline.

Johansson got a 2nd

Just from last deadline

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If Kovalchuk keeps getting on the scoresheet before the deadline, then a 2nd isn't outrageous. Most buyers are looking for a productive player making league minimum.

Take Marcus Johansson for example. He had 27 points before being traded to the Bruins for (guess what) a second round pick.

A players salary at the trade deadline is usually not that big of an issue as there is only 1/4 of the season left at that point.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
You really can’t compare D at all.

Plekanec plays an entirely different game, position and place on a team.

Nyquist who’s been a consistent ~50pt player got a 2nd + 3rd last deadline.

Johansson got a 2nd

Just from last deadline

we're talking about a bottom pairing dman here and Pleks was completely washed up

Kovy is nothing like those players who are better suited as mid6 guys

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Unless they have a sense that he only sees Montreal as a stepping stone to sign in one of the the places he most wants to play, Montreal ought to try and ink Kovalchuk for a couple of years. He should seriously consider staying as well. He's already shown this year that he can be a non-factor on an NHL team when the fit isn't there. The fit is excellent in Montreal. Shrug.

Reactions: BHD

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
we're talking about a bottom pairing dman here and Pleks was completely washed up

Kovy is nothing like those players who are better suited as mid6 guys

Nothing like those players? He was literally just bought out by a bottom 5 team after being a complete liability for 81 games and only putting up ~40pts. His 15 games does not erase that no matter how badly Habs fans want to pretend it does.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
To me Kovalchuk has value on and off the ice..

So first I would try to see whether he was willing to extend here and for how much. Whether we can sign him or not, I would not take less than a 2nd. Fine by me if the rest of the team, especially young guys get to play with a guy like this for the rest of the season.

If it looks like we can extend him, I would not move him for a 2nd.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Polak has absolutely no relevance to this discussion, you're not just comparing different players but entirely different positions. Plekanec was a strong defensive 3C when he was traded, and centers have more value than wingers, so I don't know how you think that helps your case. He was certainly not a scrub player.

And for some names, past trades have Johansson and Hudler at the high end and Parenteau and Pirri on the low end. In the middle, you have guys like Purcell (3rd rounder in 2016) and Vanek (3rd rounder in 2017). To me, Vanek is the best comparable out there for Kovalchuk and he was traded for a 3rd rounder while he had 38 points in 48 games for the Wings. He was also traded for borderline nothing the next year, when he had 41 points in 61 games and was traded for Motte and Jokinen.

Ohhh god....

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Nothing like those players? He was literally just bought out by a bottom 5 team after being a complete liability for 81 games and only putting up ~40pts. His 15 games does not erase that no matter how badly Habs fans want to pretend it does.

go check what the Habs paid the Rangers for Kovalev. just because you sold out on a stock that plummeted only to see it go back way up, doesn't mean you can get it back at its low point

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Sometimes you have to be cold hearted. If the habs get a 2nd for kovy, you take the second and offer kovy something in the off season. This is a deep draft, chances are good you get a good prospect as a 2nd. Kovy will want 5-6 mil per next contract and habs need a war chest this summer. so if its a 2nd then sell kovy.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I’d hope you can see the difference between a teenager not being drafted like 5 years before he entered the NHL and a late 30 year old playing two very bad seasons in the NHL and being bought out by one of the worst teams in the league....
I hope you can see that sometimes a player doesn't fit or is misused in a certain system and find success when they go elsewhere.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Forever average.

Ups and downs man, that's the league now, the team was 1st in the league a couple seasons ago you seem to forget..
Enjoy your window while it lasts!

Anyway, Kovalchuk is making Montreal feel again, I'll take that over a cheap offer.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Brandon Tanev has more GWG this year than anyone on the Habs. Therefore, he's better than everyone on the Habs, and if you think that's me just being a homer, you don't care about winning games.

Am I doing this right?

Actually, start by watching at least one Habs game if you wanna "do this right", you'll understand ;)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
go check what the Habs paid the Rangers for Kovalev. just because you sold out on a stock that plummeted only to see it go back way up, doesn't mean you can get it back at its low point

It’s been 15 games... what exactly makes Kovalchuk worth a 1st when players like Vanek producing just as much didn’t get more than a 3rd?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I hope you can see that sometimes a player doesn't fit or is misused in a certain system and find success when they go elsewhere.

Ive also seen a TON of players have great play in small samples and go back to being bad hockey players. It happens essentially every single season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
probably has to do with Vanek having an NMC

No it really didn’t, it’s already been reported there was very little interest (twice) in a guy who can put up some points once in a while but other than that was washed up and not very good at anything else.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Shaw returned a 2nd and 3rd just this past summer. Definition of a bottom 6 scrub

Plekanec was completely washed, like hanging on the clothesline, and he returned a 2nd

A 2nd is not out of the realm of possibility...

Guys like Maroon, Letestu, etc - are 3rd+ round fodder.

Shaw the scrub who scored at a 60 points pace last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad