Pre-Game Talk: Habs Vs. Pens Game 1 Sometimes Summer of 2020 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Oh, it's going to happen. But, I'm betting that it's also going to end prematurely.

I heard on ESPN this morning that the NHL is looking to administer 20,000 to 30,000 Covid tests to get through this extravaganza. Apparently, the players have left themselves the ability to pull the plug at any time. All they did is approve the tournament format but there are a lot of escape possibilities.

Imagine the obscenity of being able to obtain and administer that gigantic number of Covid tests just for adults playing a kid's game, who wouldn't have needed any of this by doing like the rest of us and staying home.

Imagine if the NHL gave away 30,000 test kits to frontline workers, instead. Yeah, imagine all right.

Similar to the outrage back in the day when SARS came to Canada and as I recall the Calgary Flames NHL players got access before the public did. If I am recalling correctly

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't followed too much but has been it said if Mete is out or not, since the broken foot and will Kotka be good to go or will they let him rest?

Price scares me although I didn't pay any attention to him this year and only saw a few Hab games this year and even then I don't think I saw any game from puck drop to ending buzzer. But a rested Price could in deed be troubling.

If no Mete or Romanov then I like the Pens chances since our D with Weber, Petry, Chia, Kulak is not a very good top 4 although a healthy and rested Weber after all his injuries would likely cause some problems for the Pens but these guys have tons of playoff experience.

I know the Habs record vs the Pens in the past few seasons isn't very good, but since we haven't seen anything like this, it's impossible to know who will get hot, who will struggle, who might get injured due to rust or who might sit out due the virus fears. It's tough to say in a short 5 game tournament how quickly a team will come together, though I still think the Pens win, we need to see the rosters.

When are they talking about this starting, late July?

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Oh, it's going to happen. But, I'm betting that it's also going to end prematurely.

I heard on ESPN this morning that the NHL is looking to administer 20,000 to 30,000 Covid tests to get through this extravaganza. Apparently, the players have left themselves the ability to pull the plug at any time. All they did is approve the tournament format but there are a lot of escape possibilities.

Imagine the obscenity of being able to obtain and administer that gigantic number of Covid tests just for adults playing a kid's game, who wouldn't have needed any of this by doing like the rest of us and staying home.

Imagine if the NHL gave away 30,000 test kits to frontline workers, instead. Yeah, imagine all right.
I got in a argument with Mitch Gallo on twitter about this. His excuse was that it was privately funded so it didn’t matter. I’m an essential worker and access to testing would really simplify our lives in industry I work in but we’re told there aren’t enough. NHL players can be tested regularly though...

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Was listening to NHL fantasy on ice and they said the Habs have a better 3rd line then Pens. 2 liked Pitt and 1 picked Habs to win. There will be some upsets in 1st rd so this is a candidate. But I got to go with Crosby. Hard to go against Sid in this particular matchup.

Reactions: PaulD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I got in a argument with Mitch Gallo on twitter about this. His excuse was that it was privately funded so it didn’t matter. I’m an essential worker and access to testing would really simplify our lives in industry I work in but we’re told there aren’t enough. NHL players can be tested regularly though...

The fatal mistake was not your argument. It was getting into an argument with Gallo, who has a Napoleonic complex. You should have asked him about the moniker Aaron Ward dubbed him with, when he saw pics of Gallo at the beach, last year on his social media accounts.

He thinks he knows it all just cause he lucked into a sports talk show that he has no particular qualifications for. Do yourself a favor and block him.

For your entertainment:

TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Last edited:

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I know some might roll their eyes, but I'd like the habs chances much better had they kept Thompson and Cousins, solid vets on the fourth line that can play a defensive role.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs fan believes Penguins to be dirty fibbers.

Yeah I mean, what are they going to say? "Habs suck - we're going to walk all over them". Carey Price has a very strong reputation around the league. Making comments like that is the last thing you'd want to do lol, it would just piss him off enough to post 3 straight shutouts maybe

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
The fatal mistake was not your argument. It was getting into an argument with Gallo, who has a Napoleonic complex. You should have asked him about the moniker Aaron Ward dubbed him with, when he saw pics of Gallo at the beach, last year on his social media accounts.

He thinks he knows it all just cause he lucked into a sports talk show that he has no particular qualifications for. Do yourself a favor and block him.

For your entertainment:

Haha. You made me laugh out loud. You’re probably right, I do get riled up on twitter. Some real morons there.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know some might roll their eyes, but I'd like the habs chances much better had they kept Thompson and Cousins, solid vets on the fourth line that can play a defensive role.

Well we didn't - since we never thought we'd be in the playoffs. What i'd love to see happen is go all-in with your young guys. You're not going to win with a Cousins. But Kotka is supposed to become an elite #1C one day, maybe. Give him the chance now? Same for Suzuki, and Poehling, and others. The worst that can happen is you lose - which we likely do anyways. But if the young ones perform, we win, they gain great confidence, and maybe carry us further on in the playoffs too.

I don't want to see KK on the 3rd or 4th line - give him top 6 minutes and top PP minutes.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Well we didn't - since we never thought we'd be in the playoffs. What i'd love to see happen is go all-in with your young guys. You're not going to win with a Cousins. But Kotka is supposed to become an elite #1C one day, maybe. Give him the chance now? Same for Suzuki, and Poehling, and others. The worst that can happen is you lose - which we likely do anyways. But if the young ones perform, we win, they gain great confidence, and maybe carry us further on in the playoffs too.

I don't want to see KK on the 3rd or 4th line - give him top 6 minutes and top PP minutes.
Hey (Mod) FYI, we’re not in the playoffs unless we beat the penguins

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: montreal

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019

ya sorry but no way Julien plays KK over Danault or Suzuki,put him on the third line away from Crosby and Malkin and let him get some playoffs experience

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
ya sorry but no way Julien plays KK over Danault or Suzuki,put him on the third line away from Crosby and Malkin and let him get some playoffs experience

That's ok tbh. Danult + Suzuki pretty great. So either put one of them or KK on wing - or simply give KK 3rd line C but also PP time. The point is - let's not play random 4th liners with experience over our young very talented players.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's ok tbh. Danult + Suzuki pretty great. So either put one of them or KK on wing - or simply give KK 3rd line C but also PP time. The point is - let's not play random 4th liners with experience over our young very talented players.
Have you ever seen our HC coach a hockey game you literally just outlined his entire strategy in your last line.

Reactions: montreal

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Staff must be shortened right now with so few flights? Still, yeah it's completely ridiculous you can't get access to tests when a for-profit venture will get 30k tests.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Staff must be shortened right now with so few flights? Still, yeah it's completely ridiculous you can't get access to tests when a for-profit venture will get 30k tests.
Actually, no. We’ve transitioned to 3 teams of 7 Controllers in case someone catches covid we all get sent home for 14 days. If someone gets it, we’re screwed. They closed down 1-2 control centres in the USA at the beginning and they really want to avoid that. There still flights, not as many but it can get pretty busy since we are reduced staffing and can’t open sectors of traffic spikes. Flight schools also started flying again which adds to that.

If we could get regular testing we could probably ease our internal restrictions. Right now everyone is home and before covid we were already in a staffing crisis. We need to train tons of people and we can’t because of the restrictions.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It’s not the same thing. The league put out a statement specifically mentioning that the playoffs remain 16 teams only.

I know but again....how is it different? If you win you continue, if you lose you're eliminated. Best of series. Stats count as playoff stats. It's....essentially the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille