Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
S8SjmQL.jpg
LMAO :laugh::laugh:

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I realize many are upset about potentially dropping 8 spots in the draft. I think that is overblown because most believe the only way to win is to draft in the top 10.

Here is a bit of history between the 8th OA and 16th OA picks between 2003 and 2016 (the significant majority of players playing in the NHL at the moment)

8th OA selections: Coburn, Picard, Setoguchi, Mueller, Hamill, Boedker, Glennie, Burmistrov, Couturier, Pouliot, Ristolainen, W Nylander, Werenski, A Nylander.

Couturier, W Nylander and Werenski are certainly star players. No cups yet.

16th OA selections: Bernier, Nokelainen, Bourret, Wishart, Gillies, Colbourne, Leddy, Tarasenko, Armia, T Wilson, Zadorov, Milano, Barzal, Chychrun.

Some very good players drafted at 16th OA too. Including 3 Stanley Cup Winners in Leddy, Tarasenko and Wilson.

The argument tends to be that you need a top 10 pick to win the cup.

Correction - you need a top 5 pick
  • 18 players out of the 140 players picked top 10 have won the cup.
  • 16 of those 18 players were drafted top 5.
  • Only 2 players drafted between 6-10 OA won a cup (Connolly and Frolik) and they were not the guys that carried them there.
Ironically, more players drafted 16th OA have won a cup than all 70 players drafted between 6-10 OA.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I realize many are upset about potentially dropping 8 spots in the draft. I think that is overblown because most believe the only way to win is to draft in the top 10.

Here is a bit of history between the 8th OA and 16th OA picks between 2003 and 2016 (the significant majority of players playing in the NHL at the moment)

8th OA selections: Coburn, Picard, Setoguchi, Mueller, Hamill, Boedker, Glennie, Burmistrov, Couturier, Pouliot, Ristolainen, W Nylander, Werenski, A Nylander.

16th OA selections: Bernier, Nokelainen, Bourret, Wishart, Gillies, Colbourne, Leddy, Tarasenko, Armia, T Wilson, Zadorov, Milano, Barzal, Chychrun.

Some very good players drafted at 16th OA too. Including 3 Stanley Cup Winners in Leddy, Tarasenko and Wilson.

• Only 2 players drafted between 6-10 OA won a cup (Connolly and Frolik) and they were not the guys that carried them there.
Ironically, more players drafted 16th OA have won a cup than all 70 players drafted between 6-10 OA.

Props for the research. I'll personally enjoy to see hockey back and if the Habs can create a miracle, so be it. But I'm also a little annoyed, because after about 70 games, I have not seen a team that can compete with the upper half of the league. I'm a little annoyed because there was no logical cutoff used, not logical reason used to include the Habs, it looks like the NHL included them only because of the large fanbase/TV ratings. A team like Buffalo is right to be pissed, a team like the Penguins is right to be pissed, and fans have a right to be a little underwhelmed by the arbitrary selection of playoff teams.

I guess we get screwed up by taxes, fans reputation, and climate, so let's enjoy the one time having a large fan base benefits the team lol

Reactions: montreal

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

This doesn’t mean that 16OAs have a higher chance of winning a Cup than 6-10OAs and that we have a better chance at a Cup in the future if we draft 16th this year. There’s zero causality here.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

The large problem with your analysis (well done btw), is that it doesn't take into account the gross incompetence of this management team when it comes to drafting and then developing. It's impossible for us to know if players that have busted are because they failed, or the Habs failed them. I feel that having a high pick can give the next Habs management a chance because it could be an "easy" pick. I do not trust anything this management group does, they are so lost in what it takes to build a winning franchise, I have no faith in them to draft a quality player and have him develop to reach his maximum potential.

Reactions: habsfan891

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Grapes really like our potential for this post season or specifically Price

Every team's goaltending is a massive X-factor but yeah I would probably rate Price's chances of going beast mode higher than Petr Mrzaks.

That said I think the Habs most interesting advantage is their 5v5 play especially early into the season we've seen the past few years where their speed and intensity can put unready teams on the ropes. It's hard to maintain over 82 games so we see the mid-season fade, but could do well coming off a break with fresh leagues and catching teams unready. There's big weaknesses too though, obviously, especially special teams, gotta hope they catch some rusty powerplay units.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The large problem with your analysis (well done btw), is that it doesn't take into account the gross incompetence of this management team when it comes to drafting and then developing. It's impossible for us to know if players that have busted are because they failed, or the Habs failed them. I feel that having a high pick can give the next Habs management a chance because it could be an "easy" pick. I do not trust anything this management group does, they are so lost in what it takes to build a winning franchise, I have no faith in them to draft a quality player and have him develop to reach his maximum potential.

I think that the biggest probem with this organization is what happens after the draft. Ditto for some of the teams who pick early almost every year (edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona). It's not normal that you pick so early yet produce such underwhelming talents.

For example, if Tom Wilson had been drafted by Montreal, he might just be another Michael McCarron by now. I strongly believe that Washington has a lot to do with his success.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The Atheltic talked to a coach, scout, and executive about the upcoming play in series and had them pick the winners.

Here is the Habs-Pens series

As much as we heard about the Carey Price fear factor when determining the playoff system, there wasn’t anyone on the panel who actually thought he would be enough for Montreal to advance. “This is like the Yankees playing against a Triple-A team,” said the coach. “They’re so far apart on where they are on the curve. Penguins are detailed. They’ve won. They’re experienced. They’re top to bottom great. I think the Canadiens are lucky to be there.”

Predictions unplugged: Anonymous NHL coach, scout and exec pick play-in winners
Predictions unplugged: Anonymous NHL coach, scout and exec...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Every team's goaltending is a massive X-factor but yeah I would probably rate Price's chances of going beast mode higher than Petr Mrzaks.

That said I think the Habs most interesting advantage is their 5v5 play especially early into the season we've seen the past few years where their speed and intensity can put unready teams on the ropes. It's hard to maintain over 82 games so we see the mid-season fade, but could do well coming off a break with fresh leagues and catching teams unready. There's big weaknesses too though, obviously, especially special teams, gotta hope they catch some rusty powerplay units.
If all fails they always have Karl Alzner they can call up.

Re Price... i am less that confident that Price will do a Halak and save Habs rear end. After many many instances to me it is obvious that Price isn't that clutch goalie that can take a middle of the pack team and make them a contender. I just haven't seen the playoffs evidence of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia