Pre-Game Talk: Habs Vs. Pens Game 1 Sometimes Summer of 2020 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sometimes when I'm reading a post, I have to look up and see what thread I'm in. This is so confusing. :laugh:

Let me clarify - this is the thread where we celebrate win 1 of 19 to come for the Habs this summer. Carey Price = Conn Smythe.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I know but again....how is it different? If you win you continue, if you lose you're eliminated. Best of series. Stats count as playoff stats. It's....essentially the exact same thing.
The reason it’s not the same thing is it says this team achieved something special, which it hasn’t. Until they make the 16 final teams, they are NOT a playoff team. Let’s not suggest they’ve reached a level where they can achieve the goal of winning the Cup. It’s lazy.

Reactions: PaulD

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know but again....how is it different? If you win you continue, if you lose you're eliminated. Best of series. Stats count as playoff stats. It's....essentially the exact same thing.

if at the end of the season 2 teams were deadlocked for the final spot they could play a winner take all, winner gets into the playoffs, the loser doesn't. Now instead of a 1 game series it's a 5 game series to make more money due to this rare situation. That's how it's different. If you lose you did not make the playoffs, it's that simple. But if some want to call it the playoffs so MB can pat himself on the back after a shit season, have at it, it won't change anything.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
if at the end of the season 2 teams were deadlocked for the final spot they could play a winner take all, winner gets into the playoffs, the loser doesn't. Now instead of a 1 game series it's a 5 game series to make more money due to this rare situation. That's how it's different. If you lose you did not make the playoffs, it's that simple. But if some want to call it the playoffs so MB can pat himself on the back after a shit season, have at it, it won't change anything.

You realize this whole string of conversation started with me discussing using KK with top minutes in the upcoming playoffs. ie - don't use him on 4th line with no pp minutes - give him actual meaningful minutes, to gain experience, and if we win we win because our young players (KK. Suzuki, etc) take a step forward and bring us there. And I said "playoffs" - because to me, play-ins/playoffs, same stakes.

I'm not sure how this devolved into arguing as to whether or not the play-ins are playoffs. It's semantics, and unimportant.

I'm sure Bergevin will make a fool of himself and say "hey we made the playoffs and put forth a valiant effort" if we lose, we all expect him to.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
You realize this whole string of conversation started with me discussing using KK with top minutes in the upcoming playoffs. ie - don't use him on 4th line with no pp minutes - give him actual meaningful minutes, to gain experience, and if we win we win because our young players (KK. Suzuki, etc) take a step forward and bring us there. And I said "playoffs" - because to me, play-ins/playoffs, same stakes.

I'm not sure how this devolved into arguing as to whether or not the play-ins are playoffs. It's semantics, and unimportant.

I'm sure Bergevin will make a fool of himself and say "hey we made the playoffs and put forth a valiant effort" if we lose, we all expect him to.
I’ve explained above and @montreal did as well why the distinction is important.

Reactions: montreal

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Crosby used to shoot pucks in his parents' dryer as a kid, surely he continued this MJ23 type of stuff during the pandemic. I don't think the Habs have a chance to win this series, the Habs are what the Cavs were to the Bulls on the last dance. The team could easily have gone on a hot streak ending the season just short of the playoffs instead of 8th last, I'm not worried about the pick, the Habs would be lucky to pick 8th as a matter of fact.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Crosby used to shoot pucks in his parents' dryer as a kid, surely he continued this MJ23 type of stuff during the pandemic. I don't think the Habs have a chance to win this series, the Habs are what the Cavs were to the Bulls on the last dance. The team could easily have gone on a hot streak ending the season just short of the playoffs instead of 8th last, I'm not worried about the pick, the Habs would be lucky to pick 8th as a matter of fact.

I agree on a pick... I am not worried either. No matter who they pick it will not work out. The history is a plenty.

Reactions: PaulD

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If the kids can't win a 0th round without help then there's no point winning.

What? The Pens are one of the best teams in the league. They are 7th in the league and the only reason they are that "low" is because of all the injuries they had, injuries that will be healed by the play-in.

Most teams in the league would lose the play-in to Pittsburgh. If they traded 4 NHL regulars off their roster like the Habs did at the deadline than their odds would be even worse, just like ours are. How would it be an indictment of our young players to say that they would have a better chance if they hadn't traded away 4 good depth players?

The knots some people tie themselves in to find the negative in everything never ceases to amaze me.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
What? The Pens are one of the best teams in the league. They are 7th in the league and the only reason they are that "low" is because of all the injuries they had, injuries that will be healed by the play-in.

Most teams in the league would lose the play-in to Pittsburgh. If they traded 4 NHL regulars off their roster like the Habs did at the deadline than their odds would be even worse, just like ours are. How would it be an indictment of our young players to say that they would have a better chance if they hadn't traded away 4 good depth players?

The knots some people tie themselves in to find the negative in everything never ceases to amaze me.
I sincerely hope you are right and that Pittsburgh comes out on top.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well, that's your intention.

I would rather the chance on having another impact player in the draft and building a contender. Because I've watched this team try to 'get in and anything can happen' my entire life and it hasn't happened. It's never even been ostensibly close.

But I've watched teams rebuild and create dynasties out of it. Chicago. Pittsburgh. Los Angeles. Sure, some rebuilds have failed but even in those failed rebuilds, they've got to watch players like Jack Eichel wear their jersey. I've got to see one season of a motivated Kovalev. So rewarding.
Yes. The crowd that is forever spitting out "anything can happen" loner...............seem to forget "anything" also includes the usual and likely ...... getting trounced .....again

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

The Canadiens 2019/2020 season - among the worst seasons the team ever had.

This is one lousy hockey team.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Canadiens 2019/2020 season - among the worst seasons the team ever had.

This is one lousy hockey team.

give it 2 months to turn that frown upside down. This will be the best team ever, in history.
To win the cup we'll have to go through 5 rounds, all of the top seeds from Pitt, to Boston, to Tampa, to Washington to likely St Louis or Col.

Best Team Ever. Go Habs Go!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well we didn't - since we never thought we'd be in the playoffs. What i'd love to see happen is go all-in with your young guys. You're not going to win with a Cousins. But Kotka is supposed to become an elite #1C one day, maybe. Give him the chance now? Same for Suzuki, and Poehling, and others. The worst that can happen is you lose - which we likely do anyways. But if the young ones perform, we win, they gain great confidence, and maybe carry us further on in the playoffs too.

I don't want to see KK on the 3rd or 4th line -
give him top 6 minutes and top PP minutes.
I hear what you are saying, but after KK finished the season in the minors. "Play him top 6 minutes"
Against the Crosby line or the Malkin line. Good luck kid.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
give it 2 months to turn that frown upside down. This will be the best team ever, in history.
To win the cup we'll have to go through 5 rounds, all of the top seeds from Pitt, to Boston, to Tampa, to Washington to likely St Louis or Col.

Best Team Ever. Go Habs Go!
haha !

They have as much chance of doing that as the Red Wings and the Sens do.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I agree on a pick... I am not worried either. No matter who they pick it will not work out. The history is a plenty.
They deveope players poorly.....if they develop them at all.

Bergevin is a lock to make that a tradition, rather than just a bad streak.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Play-in Preview #2: Pittsburgh vs. Montreal

upload_2020-6-6_12-40-21.png

upload_2020-6-6_12-40-54.png

upload_2020-6-6_12-41-17.png

upload_2020-6-6_12-35-25.png

upload_2020-6-6_12-35-30.png

upload_2020-6-6_12-36-49.png

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The pens are so top heavy, the habs could actually beat them.. not likely, but we never know, this pause is like an offseason and it's pretty much a fresh start. Can't really cheer for this, I want a high pick but it is what it is.
Yea the Pens are so top heavy (with superstars) where as the Habs are top light (with no superstars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad