Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects list post WJC

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thx for the advice, I recall my prof saying me the same thing in my teens days lol, when I write, I dont wanna lose track of my mains ideas so thats why Im writing those one shot, its especially less easy for me in english since Im far from being bilingual while I have to formulate it properly to make sense... Anyway, I will try to correct it...

As for young players, I only wanted to put in perspective the fact that we cant really know how kids playing in top Euro men leagues or KHL would do in the CHL against kids their own age or younger, its also not evident to speculate how a kid playing in the CHL would do in top men leagues, I think its pure speculation and thats why the WJC is a nice barometer IMO since they all are on the same level in a such competition...

About our top prospects list, I would be curious to know yours post WJC... Feel free to post it when you have the chance...

it's easy to forget that some aren't bilingual or how difficult it can be for those who English isn't their native language as I couldn't do it if I had to post in French.

For sure it's tough to compare Euro's with CHLers, always has been. The WJC's for me are more for entertainment since it's hard to evaluate someone on 5 or 6 games when some of those teams are very weak. Again if you look at Collberg who killed it with 19 pts over 3 WJC's, posters might think he was going to be a stud.

I don't like to rank prospects mid-season, I tend to wait and see how they do over the full year and playoffs.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
First, you didnt interpret my thought correctly, I never said or implied that Romanov and Ylonen were better prospects than Suzuki or Brook cause they were playing in top men leagues, I only put in perspective that they were playing in much better leagues, against MEN, while Suzuki and Brook were putting higher numbers against KIDS, in a league averaging 18 years old KIDS. You are the one that pretend Suzuki and Brook are better prospects cause they are putting solid numbers in the CHL, not me pretending the opposite, I personally have Ylonen higher than Suzuki mostly based on this tournament right, you can disagree with this as much as you want and you can pretend that its not enough of exposure to come with that kind of conclusions and thats quite fine to me, thats your opinion and I respect this, I also respect your opinion that this tournament means very little when comes time to evaluate or assess prospects properly and that their performances is to take with a grain of salt, thats your opinion and then again, I respect this, I just disagree with you, thats all ;) Suzuki I could catch a couple of his games before that tournament, we all saw him at the training camp and strangely, Im not the only one who think he needs to improve some important things in order to become a solid top 6 at the NHL level, Ylonen, first time I really had the opportunity to watch him closely and believe me, I didnt miss 1 of his shifts the whole tournament, I dont know if you read the describtion I made on each players (it doesnt seem like, since the only thing you do is saying my ranking makes no sense, nowhere can I find constructive comments on your part about whats wrong with my players descriptions) but I think I explained very well why I was so high on him... As for Primeau, I had him at 1 prior WJC, its no secret that Im a huge fan of this kid, the tournament only solidified that ranking... Finally regarding Romanov over Brook, I mentionned in Brook's description that I could have him ranked at 3 easily and that 3 to 7 was extremmely close in my book, so dont be so offended that I have him only 1 spot lower than Romanov, at this point its up in the air, both are great prospects...

Edit: Im more than aware that this ranking may look overboard or marginal since my top 2 is certainly not a concensus, but Im assuming it and thats mine nevertheless, no need to be offended, we are no scouts, we are passionate fans about our prospects thats it.
Fair enough friend! I hope your assessment is correct in many cases :)

PS. You're EXCELLENT at writing in English, I did not even know you were francophone. Cheers!

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Fair enough friend! I hope your assessment is correct in many cases :)

PS. You're EXCELLENT at writing in English, I did not even know you were francophone. Cheers!
Thank you, I write it decently but you would laugh big time at me trying to talk, thats awful...:laugh:

Reactions: JohnLennon

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think we have a really well balanced top-7, with 3F 3D and 1G.

IMO our first tier of prospects is:

Poehling
Suzuki
Romanov
Brook
Ylonen
Fleury
Primeau

After that it gets confusing. Hard to rank but IMO the only other relevant prospects are Ikonen, Olofsson, Evans, Walford, Tyszka, McShane, Hillis, Teasdale, Fonstad, and Vejdemo

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Thx for the advice, I recall my prof saying me the same thing in my teens days lol, when I write, I dont wanna lose track of my mains ideas so thats why Im writing those one shot, its especially less easy for me in english since Im far from being bilingual while I have to formulate it properly to make sense... Anyway, I will try to correct it...

Your written English is much better than my written French, well done!

Reactions: JohnLennon

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Your written English is much better than my written French, well done!
Thx, respect to you since just trying to learn french is pretty honorable, thats a pretty tough language to learn with so many useless verb tenses, male\female for all things you can name, conjugaisons ect ect... Reading french people on facebook over the years made me realize that even many of us struggle to write it properly while we grew up spending 1-2 hours a day trying to figure out that monster, so personally I wont blame anyone for not trying to learn the language of Moliere...

Reactions: Acadien86

John B

Nov 19, 2016
The only real high end prospect is Suzuki IMO. He has the potential to be a 1st liner in the NHL. I truly think that he will at least be a good 2nd liner. After that I think there are a couple middle six guys, and a bunch of bottom six/depth guys.
On defense I don't see any prospect with more than 2nd pair upside. Brook has an outside chance of being a first pair guy, but I think the odds of him getting there are really low. I can see Romanov being a solid 2nd pair guy as well. Fleury is probably more 3rd pair that could play 2nd pair in a pinch.

I like Primeau a lot as well. Goaltenders are so hard to project though. Right now I would say his upside is as an average starter in the NHL. Which for a 7th round pick is really good.

Good job with the list though. I think you have the right 10 prospects and the rankings are pretty good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we have a really well balanced top-7, with 3F 3D and 1G.

IMO our first tier of prospects is:

Poehling
Suzuki
Romanov
Brook
Ylonen
Fleury
Primeau

After that it gets confusing. Hard to rank but IMO the only other relevant prospects are Ikonen, Olofsson, Evans, Walford, Tyszka, McShane, Hillis, Teasdale, Fonstad, and Vejdemo

Agreed. I don't think anyone can predict who's going to be the best from our top 7 guys. Definitely hard to predict between Poehling, Suzuki, Romanov, Brook, and Primeau. Not sure I have Ylonen in that group but he's not far behind Primeau IMO.

The best part of our prospect pool is we have both quantity and top end talent. Probability is working in our favor big time!

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Agreed. I don't think anyone can predict who's going to be the best from our top 7 guys. Definitely hard to predict between Poehling, Suzuki, Romanov, Brook, and Primeau. Not sure I have Ylonen in that group but he's not far behind Primeau IMO.

The best part of our prospect pool is we have both quantity and top end talent. Probability is working in our favor big time!

Ikonen is a real prospect too barring the injuries really affecting his development. He would have been finland's no. 1 C at the tournament.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
full

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
While olofsson was probably the one who stood out the most at the training camp, he sure isn’t having a good d+1 season, way too early to have a solid future opinion, but as of right now he sure isn’t in my top 5 either.

Suzuki
Brook and poehling = interchangeable
Ylonen
Brook

Primeau in terms of quality is probably a top 5 but the fact that we have price for so long, he’ll likely be less of a need. Unless he goes realy HARD and montreal gives price to seattle.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Olofsson is not one of our top 5 prospects. Brook and Ylonen are both ahead of him. It's crazy to see how high some analysts are on Romanov. He's looking like the steal of the draft. Can't wait to see him. Already one of my favourite players in the organization. Romanov is going to be fun to watch.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad