Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects list post WJC

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
The CHL remains a junior league, the best junior league in the world for sure, but still a junior one, racking up points in the CHL at 19 is nothing to write about, any good prospects will do this and there is a ton a examples of young players that arent even drafted ending up putting sick numbers and then struggling badly at the AHL level for different reasons, it might be a skating issue, a poor hockey IQ, poor 2-way game ect that they could get away in junior, but not in top men leagues... Do you seriously think Brook would be putting such numbers in the KHL? Are you even sure Brook would be good enough to crack one of the top KHL teams at 19? If so, what his playing time and role would look like? Same for Suzuki, how do you know he wouldnt be struggling to rack up points in the Liga tell me? As far as I know, Suzuki needs work on his skating and needs to get stronger while the Liga is a very fast paced league and a men one, how do you come to the conclusion that a kid like Suzuki is much more mature than a kid like Ylonen or less raw? Did you miss the last WJC? Thats rather the opposite... Suzuki still plays too much like a junior while Ylonen already plays like a pro... Why didnt team Canada destroy that competition with all their superstars CHLers while the top junior euro countries are mainly composed of "raw" kids barely producing in top men leagues? You are obviously being deeply immersed in total ignorance when it comes to Euro prospects... The WJC remains a very good barometer to see how those kids handle themself against top junior aged players in the world, outside a professional training camp, thats the highest level of competition and adversity any young Canadian players ever faced.
I get that you're passionate about the topic, and I really love how excited you are for Habs prospects. I am too! But this entire post of yours had zero substance and didn't bring up any good points.

You repeatedly asked how some of our top juniors prospects would perform in Liiga or KHL, implying you think a guy like Suzuki or Brook would play lower in the lineup than Ylonen or Romanov, or not even at all. That's pure speculation on your part, and if you wanted my speculation, I do think Suzuki and Brook would play larger roles in adult leagues than Ylonen and Romanov do now - especially Suzuki. If they were all forced to play in the NHL right now, I think Suzuki and Brook would both play larger roles than Ylonen and Romanov. I especially think Poehling will play a larger role than any other player you can mention on our prospect list if they were forced to play in the league right now. I don't think there's much of a question at this point in time. That's not a bad thing, it's just where I feel they are in their development. I agree with your assertion that KHL and Liiga are better leagues than the CHL, but implying that simply playing in those leagues makes one prospect better than another is absurd.

Nick Suzuki is top ten in his entire league in points, and of that top ten, four of them are above 19. The way he is playing is still an impressive feat for a 19 year old. Trying to minimize it by saying it's "easy to do" at his age is not a genuine remark at all and is totally false. Poehling and Suzuki are currently better prospects than Ylonen, and I don't think that's very close right now (nor does almost much of anyone else... except you). Romanov is making progress and doing solid work in the KHL, but he's still yet to score a point in his league after 28 games. It's not all about points obviously, but let's temper expectations a bit here.

I'm curious if you watch any of these players outside of what you saw at the WJHC? You say here that Suzuki still plays like a junior and Ylonen plays like a pro - what exactly indicates that to you? I loved Ylonen's game at the WJHC, but I know better than to make conclusions based off a 7 game sample size.

Your list is formed off recency bias and is too slanted based on WJHC results. Most professional scouts do not weigh the WJHC as much as you do, but of course it plays a factor. At the end of the day, I don't think many others will agree with your assessment that Ylonen and Romanov have completely overcome Poehling, Suzuki and Brook collectively as prospects based on a 7-game sample size. Even in this thread you'll be hard-pressed to find that.

Reactions: Doxinoctae

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I get that you're passionate about the topic, and I really love how excited you are for Habs prospects. I am too! But this entire post of yours had zero substance and didn't bring up any good points.

You repeatedly asked how some of our top juniors prospects would perform in Liiga or KHL, implying you think a guy like Suzuki or Brook would play lower in the lineup than Ylonen or Romanov, or not even at all. That's pure speculation on your part, and if you wanted my speculation, I do think Suzuki and Brook would play larger roles in adult leagues than Ylonen and Romanov do now - especially Suzuki. If they were all forced to play in the NHL right now, I think Suzuki and Brook would both play larger roles than Ylonen and Romanov. I especially think Poehling will play a larger role than any other player you can mention on our prospect list if they were forced to play in the league right now. I don't think there's much of a question at this point in time. That's not a bad thing, it's just where I feel they are in their development. I agree with your assertion that KHL and Liiga are better leagues than the CHL, but implying that simply playing in those leagues makes one prospect better than another is absurd.

Nick Suzuki is top ten in his entire league in points, and of that top ten, four of them are above 19. The way he is playing is still an impressive feat for a 19 year old. Trying to minimize it by saying it's "easy to do" at his age is not a genuine remark at all and is totally false. Poehling and Suzuki are currently better prospects than Ylonen, and I don't think that's very close right now (nor does almost much of anyone else... except you). Romanov is making progress and doing solid work in the KHL, but he's still yet to score a point in his league after 28 games. It's not all about points obviously, but let's temper expectations a bit here.

I'm curious if you watch any of these players outside of what you saw at the WJHC? You say here that Suzuki still plays like a junior and Ylonen plays like a pro - what exactly indicates that to you? I loved Ylonen's game at the WJHC, but I know better than to make conclusions based off a 7 game sample size.

Your list is formed off recency bias and is too slanted based on WJHC results. Most professional scouts do not weigh the WJHC as much as you do, but of course it plays a factor. At the end of the day, I don't think many others will agree with your assessment that Ylonen and Romanov have completely overcome Poehling, Suzuki and Brook collectively as prospects based on a 7-game sample size. Even in this thread you'll be hard-pressed to find that.

First, you didnt interpret my thought correctly, I never said or implied that Romanov and Ylonen were better prospects than Suzuki or Brook cause they were playing in top men leagues, I only put in perspective that they were playing in much better leagues, against MEN, while Suzuki and Brook were putting higher numbers against KIDS, in a league averaging 18 years old KIDS. You are the one that pretend Suzuki and Brook are better prospects cause they are putting solid numbers in the CHL, not me pretending the opposite, I personally have Ylonen higher than Suzuki mostly based on this tournament right, you can disagree with this as much as you want and you can pretend that its not enough of exposure to come with that kind of conclusions and thats quite fine to me, thats your opinion and I respect this, I also respect your opinion that this tournament means very little when comes time to evaluate or assess prospects properly and that their performances is to take with a grain of salt, thats your opinion and then again, I respect this, I just disagree with you, thats all ;) Suzuki I could catch a couple of his games before that tournament, we all saw him at the training camp and strangely, Im not the only one who think he needs to improve some important things in order to become a solid top 6 at the NHL level, Ylonen, first time I really had the opportunity to watch him closely and believe me, I didnt miss 1 of his shifts the whole tournament, I dont know if you read the describtion I made on each players (it doesnt seem like, since the only thing you do is saying my ranking makes no sense, nowhere can I find constructive comments on your part about whats wrong with my players descriptions) but I think I explained very well why I was so high on him... As for Primeau, I had him at 1 prior WJC, its no secret that Im a huge fan of this kid, the tournament only solidified that ranking... Finally regarding Romanov over Brook, I mentionned in Brook's description that I could have him ranked at 3 easily and that 3 to 7 was extremmely close in my book, so dont be so offended that I have him only 1 spot lower than Romanov, at this point its up in the air, both are great prospects...

Edit: Im more than aware that this ranking may look overboard or marginal since my top 2 is certainly not a concensus, but Im assuming it and thats mine nevertheless, no need to be offended, we are no scouts, we are passionate fans about our prospects thats it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnLennon

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Brook should be over romanov.
In the wjc, he was great defensively and would have been much more involved offensively had team CA coach not told him to mostly focus on defense.

He is also dominating junior hockey with 38 pts in 28 games

Brook is also a year older... I don’t actually think Romanov was the best D of the WJC but he was up there and he is playing in the KHL that is impressive for a 18yo D. Brook might be ahead but the gap is so small I have them both at #2.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think Stapley should be ranked over guys like Hillis and Fonstad. Smart player with nifty hands, close to a ppg in the NCAA..

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Make no mistake. Poehling has #1 after winning tournament MVP at the juniors.

That goes to the best potential forward voted by the some of hockeys brightest and influential.

Now maybe they have it wrong this time. But, I believe peohling coming to the nhl as an over twenty is going to show results. Teenagers dont belong in the NHL.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
But where is his ceiling.

The guy is 19 and produced some highlight reel goal in the NCAA already. His coach said he was the smartest player on the team. His ceiling might be higher than Olofsson.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The guy is 19 and produced some highlight reel goal in the NCAA already. His coach said he was the smartest player on the team. His ceiling might be higher than Olofsson.

f***. I could provide some highlight reel goals anywhere i went. So could scherbak.. But does he have the "other" elements..

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Wouldn't put him before:

Peohling
Suzuki
Romanov
Brook
Ylonen
Primeau
Fleury
Evans
Stapley
Harris
Ikonen
Olofsson
Tyszka
Hillis
Fonstad
McShane
Lindgren
Vejdemo
Walford
McCarron

Not even top 20.
Stapley so high on your list and mccaron so low must must those inbetween players pretty AHL.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Stapley so high on your list and mccaron so low must must those inbetween players pretty AHL.

I consider upside and age. McCarron upside is a 4th line center and is turning 24 in march. Put any forward from my list in Laval at 24 years old and I'm pretty sure they will be doing better than McCarron is doing now. Stapley is almost producing at a ppg as a rookie in NCAA and if you watch him play, you can tell he has great IQ, have good hands and decent speed. NCAA is a tougher league than the CHL. I think him and Harris are being underrated. That's my reasonning.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I consider upside and age. McCarron upside is a 4th line center and is turning 24 in march. Put any forward from my list in Laval at 24 years old and I'm pretty sure they will be doing better than McCarron is doing now. Stapley is almost producing at a ppg as a rookie in NCAA and if you watch him play, you can tell he has great IQ, have good hands and decent speed. NCAA is a tougher league than the CHL. I think him and Harris are being underrated. That's my reasonning.

Im going to have to watch a few games thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Acadien86

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
okay here is my list.

1- Poehling (not a huge point producer but a complete package player the type you need to compete for championships)

2- Brook (very close to Romanov but with more of an offensive vision great 2 way potential)

3- Romanov (see Brook little less offensive vision more defensive presence and physicality)

4- Suzuki (perhaps can still be a close to ppg in the NHL but his lack of intensity in a once in a lifetime tournament is not a good sign for me)

5- Primeau/Olafson/Ylonen (need to see more of them cant really set them appart yet)

Reactions: 26Mats

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I'd move some players around, but I applaud the effort and detail.

1. Poehling - I think he really emerged based off his WJC performance. I feel he has legit middle-6 potential, with second-line upside. I don't see 1C potential on a true contender. Not an "out-of-your-seat" prospect, but the type of player I think EVERY team wants.

2. Suzuki - A forgettable WJC performance I'll admit, but the most offensively gifted prospect in our system. I know some take his methodical approach as "floating" but I don't. I do have some concerns about him taking all this to the next level, but I am optimistic.

3. Romanov - A great tournament and steady progression in the K.

Thanks I like your list.

IMHO;
if Poehling can continue to improve upon his WJC performance we could have ourselves a special #1B or #2 C

I didn’t think Suzuki was utilized properly....his IQ is off the charts & needs linemates that think and play with a high tempo and creativity.

Romanov, if he is in North America within 2 years playing for the Habs in 3 then we have a gem, an absolute steal.....if we don’t see him for 4-6 years then we should have selected McIsaac.
Cheers guys.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I agree that there is a recency bias, but poehling and romanov looked ahead in my opinion. Their all around game gave me quite a solid impression. Both players looked like pros, and both of them displayed a "clutch mode" and had special moments. Defensively, they are special as well.

That being said, Ylonen and primeau looked great too. That's my top 4, personally.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
On a different topic, which one has the most value and which one would you be most comfortable trading?
Poehling and Suzuki probably have the highest value right now, I wouldnt trade any of them unless the return makes sense...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This past draft was huge for Timmins and his gang. Along with the addition of Suzuki. Will give MB a little more rope, which is bad, but yet glad we have some nice prospects coming. Now, as long as the clown doesn't trade them, ala Sergachev.

hopefully it ends up being a strong draft class, when you have this many top 50/60 picks, this is where Timmins needs to nail it as long as the draft class isn't a weak on like '99 or even '12 which isn't looking so hot.

But we'll see what happens, fans went nuts for our draft in '12 and in time that turned south in a hurry. But so far the 1st 3 picks are looking the part for sure. Kotka alone could make this a great draft for us.

Hard to say when you saw Romanov MVP the tourney as the best D.
Brook imo was underwhelming a bit from what I expected.

I only saw parts of games mostly but I thought Brook played well considering he was on his off-side. Hopefully the Habs keep him at RD for good.

But it can be dangerous to put too much into 5-6-7 games. People have gone overboard in the past for good or bad tournaments. Kostitsyn, Collberg putting up 7 pts as a 17 year old, ppg at 18 and 19. Lehkonen with just 1 pt at 19.

It can be hard not to put too much good or bad into the WJC's but at the end of the day it's just a short tournament. You really want to look at how they do over a full year. How have they progressed since last year, how have they improved on their weaknesses, etc...

So when you extensively watched Romanov play, as an 18 year old, in the KHL, what made you think his world junior performance wasn't a real account of his abilities?

Or when you say league play, do you mean reading his stat line as an 18 year old in the KHL.

I've watched a lot of Romanov in the KHL, if you read in his thread I talk about how hard it has been to get a read on him as you watch one game and he plays a regular shift, looks good and then the next time you see him he barely plays and one shift he's at RD then sits for a long time then next shift he's at LD. It can be hard to get a read on that when it's so disjointed.

That said the biggest thing that stood out to me, what impressed me the most in his KHL play is how mistake free he's been for an 18 year old playing in the 2nd best league in the world.

Prospects writer for Habs EOTP , David St-Louis, was asked who is the best Habs prospect that no one is talking about.

He answered this:

Jordan Harris plays on the first pair of the Northeastern Huskies and has looked relatively solid in the role after coming in from High School Hockey. It's impressive for such a young player to be trusted by his coach to face the best players of other teams. It rarely happens in the NCAA.
Harris is a great skater who can use his edges to escape pressure and come out with the puck in the defensive zone. There is potential to see him emerge as a good puck-mover in a few years.

Have seen a lot of Harris, he's easily a top 10 prospect for us, what he's doing is very impressive. I'd like to see a little more offense from him. He's very much in the Mete mold, undersized, great skating/mobility. Likes to jump in in the offensive zone but needs to get stronger, add mass.

Do you seriously think Brook would be putting such numbers in the KHL? Are you even sure Brook would be good enough to crack one of the top KHL teams at 19? If so, what his playing time and role would look like? Same for Suzuki, how do you know he wouldnt be struggling to rack up points in the Liga tell me?

As far as I know, Suzuki needs work on his skating and needs to get stronger while the Liga is a very fast paced league and a men one, how do you come to the conclusion that a kid like Suzuki is much more mature than a kid like Ylonen or less raw? Did you miss the last WJC? Thats rather the opposite... Suzuki still plays too much like a junior while Ylonen already plays like a pro...

Why didnt team Canada destroy that competition with all their "superstars" CHLers while the top junior euro countries are mainly composed of "raw" kids barely producing in top men leagues? You are obviously being deeply immersed in total ignorance when it comes to Euro prospects... The WJC remains a very good barometer to see how those kids handle themself against top junior aged players in the world, outside a professional training camp, thats the highest level of competition and adversity any young Canadian players ever faced.

Just some friendly advice, it's easier to read your posts if you break them up a bit. No big deal but with long posts at least for me it can be harder to follow.

Brook of course wouldn't produce like he is in any pro league, be it KHL, AHL, SHL, etc.. as his production is insane. What imo people should be looking at isn't the numbers, it's where does he rank in the league, and how does his skill set look to do as he moves up to the pro leagues.

One thing I always hated on this board is how so often fans must pit one prospect or player vs another when both are on our team. That said it makes for good discussions.

I do think Brook could easily play in the KHL, SHL and in fact I think he could have played in the NHL this year and been a decent bottom pairing D but so glad that didn't happen as I am against rushing prospects.

As for Suzuki, he needs to work on getting quicker, and I can see why some aren't as high on him despite how he's totally dominated the OHL over the last 3 seasons. If he were seen as this great can't miss prospect then perhaps he doesn't get traded. That said he clearly has a very high level of skill and IQ but the question becomes can he overcome his lack of physical tools of size, strength, speed, skating? Not saying they are major issues like say Hudon or others, as I think Suzuki will easily be an NHLer at some point but the question for me is how good will he be?

If he were in Liiga, I don't think he would be setting the league on fire but I do think he would do very well there. In fact I pushed for it, as I didn't want to see him return to the CHL for a 3rd season after putting up 196 pts in 2 years. I think the SHL would have been great for him, or Liiga or the NLA even (although I've never seen one of their games) The bigger ice would force him to work on his skating/speed more imo. And playing against older players would have been a much better challenge. That said we'll see how next year goes for him.

As for Team Canada, I think that the coaching staff made poor decisions leading up to the tournament. No way should Brook have been at LD, at all. I think if they put Suzuki in Tippett's spot it would have gone better as well. That said it's a short tournament, anything can happen in those single game knock out.

I think Stapley should be ranked over guys like Hillis and Fonstad. Smart player with nifty hands, close to a ppg in the NCAA..

keep in mind that Stapley is just one month younger then Poehling.

On a different topic, which one has the most value and which one would you be most comfortable trading?

tough one. Suzuki, Brook, Poehling should have the most value. I'd trade any for the right price though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Just some friendly advice, it's easier to read your posts if you break them up a bit. No big deal but with long posts at least for me it can be harder to follow.

Brook of course wouldn't produce like he is in any pro league, be it KHL, AHL, SHL, etc.. as his production is insane. What imo people should be looking at isn't the numbers, it's where does he rank in the league, and how does his skill set look to do as he moves up to the pro leagues.

One thing I always hated on this board is how so often fans must pit one prospect or player vs another when both are on our team. That said it makes for good discussions.

I do think Brook could easily play in the KHL, SHL and in fact I think he could have played in the NHL this year and been a decent bottom pairing D but so glad that didn't happen as I am against rushing prospects.

As for Suzuki, he needs to work on getting quicker, and I can see why some aren't as high on him despite how he's totally dominated the OHL over the last 3 seasons. If he were seen as this great can't miss prospect then perhaps he doesn't get traded. That said he clearly has a very high level of skill and IQ but the question becomes can he overcome his lack of physical tools of size, strength, speed, skating? Not saying they are major issues like say Hudon or others, as I think Suzuki will easily be an NHLer at some point but the question for me is how good will he be?

If he were in Liiga, I don't think he would be setting the league on fire but I do think he would do very well there. In fact I pushed for it, as I didn't want to see him return to the CHL for a 3rd season after putting up 196 pts in 2 years. I think the SHL would have been great for him, or Liiga or the NLA even (although I've never seen one of their games) The bigger ice would force him to work on his skating/speed more imo. And playing against older players would have been a much better challenge. That said we'll see how next year goes for him.

As for Team Canada, I think that the coaching staff made poor decisions leading up to the tournament. No way should Brook have been at LD, at all. I think if they put Suzuki in Tippett's spot it would have gone better as well. That said it's a short tournament, anything can happen in those single game knock out.
Thx for the advice, I recall my prof saying me the same thing in my teens days lol, when I write, I dont wanna lose track of my mains ideas so thats why Im writing those one shot, its especially less easy for me in english since Im far from being bilingual while I have to formulate it properly to make sense... Anyway, I will try to correct it...

As for young players, I only wanted to put in perspective the fact that we cant really know how kids playing in top Euro men leagues or KHL would do in the CHL against kids their own age or younger, its also not evident to speculate how a kid playing in the CHL would do in top men leagues, I think its pure speculation and thats why the WJC is a nice barometer IMO since they all are on the same level in a such competition...

About our top prospects list, I would be curious to know yours post WJC... Feel free to post it when you have the chance...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad