Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects list post WJC

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Weird how everyone is suddenly high on romanov in the analyst community - doesn't seem overly "étoffé" to me.

Really makes you wonder what these guys base their analysis on - are they watching khl games or a handful of wjc results?

Probably the same guys who claimed the pick was a reach.

This is all Rearview Mirror Nostradamus type of prospect analysis.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Huh?? :huh::huh:
If u cared to read what I wrote, you would realize I said more electrifying than Brook's style of game not more than Orlov or Voynov. LMAO.

And I would take a Petry over a Orlov any day of the week, no questions asked.
What? No, I know that's what you said. I'm saying its false. Brook is the much more creative player, whereas Romanov is a gritty, hard-nosed dman in comparison.

EDIT: Re-read my post. Yeah, I wrote that confusingly. Intended to say that Romanov is a less electrifying player than Brook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legend123

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What? No, I know that's what you said. I'm saying its false. Brook is the much more creative player, whereas Romanov is a gritty, hard-nosed dman in comparison.

EDIT: Re-read my post. Yeah, I wrote that confusingly. Intended to say that Romanov is a less electrifying player than Brook.
Fair enough. I just am convinced Romanov has more to show than Brook offensively, maybe not in terms of offensive production but rather in terms of flying around the ice more and making pretty plays, and we'll start seeing that starting from next season.

Reactions: Habs76

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Fair enough. I just am convinced Romanov has more to show than Brook offensively, maybe not in terms of offensive production but rather in terms of flying around the ice more and making pretty plays, and we'll start seeing that starting from next season.
Romanov has definitely got room to improve offensively, I just feel as though he will always make his living as a good transition defenseman who can take heavy defensive minutes. Unfortunately at this point in time, he just doesn't see the ice in the O-zone near as well as Brook, but if that develops as his defensive awareness and decision making have, he'll certainly be a threat. I also would like to see him get shots off a bit quicker. He has an absolute rocket.

Reactions: Legend123

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not too long ago you seemed very low on the Habs pool, which, at the time, included Kotkaniemi. Now, you seem alot higher on our pool. Why the change in attitude? Did the prospects convince you? If so, it means alot that one of our bigest critics changed ship this early on.

I didn't consider them to have a top farm system before the Suzuki trade. Still think they have a major lack of high end talent but adding Suzuki was huge. They need for '17 and '18 drafts to be big, we'll see if that's the case or not. I wasn't too impressed with the '18 draft outside of Kotka, still not although Romanov and Ylonen are major wild cards that could really change how the draft went. I like Harris a lot as well, so it's certainly looking much better then when I first starting reading/watching the drafted kids over the summer.

Harris being on the top pairing after just turning 18, Romanov a regular in the KHL at 18, Stapley putting up some impressive numbers after not getting drafted in '17. Those are nice surprises for sure.

I put Brook over Romanov since Brook is THE perfect NHL D in the making. He has it all to be a top pairing Dman literally. The size, the beautiful skating, the skills, the IQ, the shot (altho some dont like it), hes just a beauty to watch. I compare Brook to the current Petry. Both beautiful players to watch.
Romanov is maybe a bit more electrifying but is smaller, and lacks the complete package Brook offers. A comparable for Romanov would be Mete with a heavy shot or Voynov/Orlov type of player.

Regardless, both are superb prospects to have.

agreed, glad to have both prospects. I wouldn't compare Romanov to Mete with a heavier shot, but I find he's a very difficult player to compare with as I'm still not sure what he is and I've watched a lot of him. He seems to have a nice shot and can certainly move the puck very well but to not have a single point in 30 games is surprising. He seems to have a really solid defensive game but have seen some holes there at times. He's certainly going to be one of the most interesting prospects in our system to follow to see how much he can progress over the next few years.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I didn't consider them to have a top farm system before the Suzuki trade. Still think they have a major lack of high end talent but adding Suzuki was huge. They need for '17 and '18 drafts to be big, we'll see if that's the case or not. I wasn't too impressed with the '18 draft outside of Kotka, still not although Romanov and Ylonen are major wild cards that could really change how the draft went. I like Harris a lot as well, so it's certainly looking much better then when I first starting reading/watching the drafted kids over the summer.

Harris being on the top pairing after just turning 18, Romanov a regular in the KHL at 18, Stapley putting up some impressive numbers after not getting drafted in '17. Those are nice surprises for sure.

agreed, glad to have both prospects. I wouldn't compare Romanov to Mete with a heavier shot, but I find he's a very difficult player to compare with as I'm still not sure what he is and I've watched a lot of him. He seems to have a nice shot and can certainly move the puck very well but to not have a single point in 30 games is surprising. He seems to have a really solid defensive game but have seen some holes there at times. He's certainly going to be one of the most interesting prospects in our system to follow to see how much he can progress over the next few years.
with 3 more top62 picks, we are trending real well. I have long said this, with 7 2nd round picks, assuming there are any, we have to be the team that drafted said superstar. I mean imagine having 7 2nd round picks and no stars to show for and a random team like, say, Boston or Chicago with way fewer pick end up with that superstar, now that would be horrendous to watch.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Hey can you name me who you think are the top 10 prospects on the Habs. Only players who are in their rookie season or haven't had their rookie season can qualify.

1- Hesperia Kotkaniemi
2- Ryan Poehling
3- Ryan Suzuki
4- Alex Romanov
5- Noah Juulsen
6- Cale Fleury
7- Josh Brook
8- Jesse Ylonen
9- Cayden Primeau
10- Jake Evans

HM to Victor Mete

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hey can you name me who you think are the top 10 prospects on the Habs. Only players who are in their rookie season or haven't had their rookie season can qualify.

1- Hesperia Kotkaniemi
2- Ryan Poehling
3- Ryan Suzuki
4- Alex Romanov
5- Noah Juulsen
6- Cale Fleury
7- Josh Brook
8- Jesse Ylonen
9- Cayden Primeau
10- Jake Evans

HM to Victor Mete

1. Kotkaniemi
2. Tie between Romanov and Poehling
4. Tie between Suzuki and Brook
6. Primeau
7. Ylonen
8. Tie between Olofsson and Ikonen
10. Evans

Mete has graduated IMO cause he played last season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evans should be somewhere around our top 10 depending on who you prefer. He's certainly having a good year in Laval but we'll see how the season ends as he's been very inconsistent but the fact that's he's producing on such a low scoring team.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Evans has to be higher. He’s producing at the professional level as a rookie.
Personally I rank kids mostly on long term projections and I dont see much upside in Evans so I will rank kids like Olofsson, Harris Hillis Fonstad over him since they are much younger and have much more potential... Evans is already 23 yrs old and while 26 pts in 43 games played is decent AHL offensive production, thats still nothing to be really excited about... Everytimes I watch Evans, I see a good AHLer but fail to project him at the NHL level since he has no real standout skill, he is on the small side and his skating is decent no more... You have to love the IQ though...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personally I rank kids mostly on long term projections and I dont see much upside in Evans so I will rank kids like Olofsson, Harris Hillis Fonstad over him since they are much younger and have much more potential... Evans is already 23 yrs old and while 26 pts in 43 games played is decent AHL offensive production, thats still nothing to be really excited about... Everytimes I watch Evans, I see a good AHLer but fail to project him at the NHL level since he has no real standout skill, he is on the small side and his skating is decent no more... You have to love the IQ though...

Evans is 22, but I wouldn't look so much at the numbers, it's the context that matters more imo. Tied for 2nd on the team in goals, 3rd on the team in assists, 4th in points just one back of 3rd and 3 back of 2nd as until he was injured he was 2nd or 3rd in scoring all year.

He's very good on draws, smart, hard working. But he lacks physical tools, needs to get stronger, fill out, get quicker, improve lower body strength, skating.

That said he's on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, he's more of a playmaker so it's safe to say he would be producing more on a better team as he's been on the top line most of the year. If he played 82 games he's on pace for 50 pts, 76 games he's just short of being on pace for 47 pts which is the same pace Scherbak was on for in his age 20 season.

I'm not saying I'd rank him over Olofsson, Harris, Hillis, Fonstad but that imo he's certainly right in that group along with Stapley, Tyszka, Ikonen. I'd have Harris over all of them but after that it gets tougher.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
My opinion would be this
1 Nick Suzuki
2 Ryan Poehling
3 Alexander Romanov
4 Josh Brook
5 Cayden Primeau
6 Jesse Ylonen
7 Joni Ikonen
8 Allan Mcshane

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
If I consider KK and Juulsen:

1. Kotkaniemi
2. Poehling
3. Suzuki
4. Romanov
5. Brook
6. Juulsen
7. Primeau
8. Ylonen
9. Fleury
10. Harris

HM: Evans, Ikonen

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
1. Suzuki
2. Poehling
3. Romanov
4. Ylonen
5. Brook
6. Primeau
7. Ikonen
8. Harris
9. Fleury
10. Olofsson

Evans, McShane, Fonstad, Hillis

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
I have:
1. Poehling
2. Brook
3. Romanov
4. Primeau
5. Suzuki

DISCLAIMER: I am not a scout. I go by names, lazy stat watching and the occasional nappy half game on tv.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think Juulsen has. He was only sent down because his vision was affecting his game when he came back.
Unlike Mete who played a whole season the NHL last year, Juulsen has had limited games, 10 fewer NHL games than Kotkaniemi who is still on some people's lists. By NHL rules, Juulsen still qualifies as a rookie this year.

And what's the excuse for Fleury?

Honestly, with those who include Kotaniemi and exclude Juulsen and Fleury, it appears that it's just a list of everyone EXCEPT those in Laval.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
After watching and re-watching some games of the last WJC, here is my new Habs top 10 list, feel free to post yours...

1- Cayden Primeau

Ive been a huge fan of Primeau for a while since his mix of size, skills and competitiveness makes him easily the best and most intriguing goaltending prospect we had in the system since Carey Price... After an outstanding rookie season in the NCAA, Primeau was headed to the WJC as the favorite to defend team USA's net, after a luckily first game against the Kazachs where he barely faced 15 shots and allowed 2 goals, he rebounded admirably well against the Finns in the preliminary round to just never quit the net again showing a calm and reassuring presence in net for team USA, as well as a high compete level, great rebounds control and great poise overall... He did extremely well in the quarter against the big Russian machine allowing only 1 goal on 33 shots, 14 of them came in the third when the game was on the line and the kid showed his legendary cold blood stopping all of them... The gold medal game was against the Finns and their big skilled goalkeeper, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, a 6'5 monster drafted late second round by Buffalo, easily along with Primeau, a top 5 goaltender prospect in the world for the NHL, a duel that didnt disappoint since both goaltenders had their moments in the game showing great poise and promise... First goal Primeau allowed was on a perfect quick one timer directed by Habs highly touted prospect Jessi Ylonen, a major league shot on which he just had no chance, second goal was a screened one, about 3-4 guys in the shooting lane, a puck that had eyes and ended up in the net, there is very little he could do on the winning game goal as well since there was alot of traffic in front... Overall, the best team that night won and Primeau can certainly leave that competition head up toward a very bright future... I know alot of people will disagree with me with Primeau at 1st considering the high quality of prospects following in that ranking, but thats mine nevertheless...

2- Jesse Ylonen

Here again, some people will disagree with Ylonen at 2, but after watching him pretty closely at the WJC, carrying a whole line by his own and outproducing some top prospects like Tolvainen, Heponiemi despite limited powerplay time in some games (while the first line was playing undeservedly basically the whole 2 minutes), and third line duties, I can safely say that Ylonen is one of the most skilled and top prospects not only in the Habs system, but in the world, in 2-3 years from now when people make that draft review, I can confidently say that most people will have this kid easily in their top 10-15 of that draft... Coming to this tournament, I was looking at a skilled player with some flaws such as questionnable decision making, defensive play and puck battles issues, well, I was wrong, not only this kid was taking good decisions under pressure, competing hard for the puck all the times and taking his defensive duties seriously, but his offensive skills are even higher as I was personally expecting, that kid has elite skating both in term of speed and agility, can reach top gear and changes directions with baffling ease and make plays at top speed since he has very good stickhhandling skills and eye hand coordination, his skating allows him to get in position quickly and always close to the puck offering his linemates a passing option basically in all times... That kid can also shoot the puck, he has a very quick release, good accuracy and good velocity, it can only gets better as he gets stronger... I have him as high as 2nd on our prospects pool since he probably has the highest upside among our skaters (with Suzuki, if he can improve his skating and pace further along with his strength) and his game is surprisingly well rounded at this point... Ylonen's game should translate well to the next level since his game is all about speed and pace, exactly where the NHL is trending these days, he distributes the puck with accuracy, he is also listed at 6'1 175 lbs, will probably add around 10 -15 pounds, what is more than fine for the NHL... He has top 6 upside for sure and could even ends up as a decent\good first line winger...

3- Ryan Poehling

That kid cant score right? Ended up the tournament tied with Kurashev in goals total with 6 and finished tied with 3 other players as best scorer in the tournament... While its unlikely Poehling ends up as a scoring threat in the NHL, he still proved he could score against the best kids in the world and that he could be productive while playing his pretty solid 200 ft game... Poehling was responsible of team USA resurgence when his team was looking dead and hopeless against a solid, fast paced and experienced Sweden team, trailing by 3 goals in the third, Poehling took charge and almost won that game by his own showing incredible determination and being involved in all 3 goals that led to the OT, maybe his team lost that game, but it certainly was a weakup call for the rest of the tournament... USA ended up losing the gold medal game and Im sure Poehling wished he could have done a little more in order to win that game, probably the reason why he was so devasted after the game, but overall, if you look at the whole tournament, Poehling certainly didnt disappoint and was so close from the ultimate goal... While Poehling's celling and projections are still unclear, I think its pretty safe at this point to say he is going to be a very solid and clutch NHLer having some natural leadership skills in himself... Weither if its as a good\decent second line center or a great third line one, he is a keeper!

4- Nick Suzuki

What this kid can do with the puck on his stick is rather incredible, his offensive creativity, vision, passing, stickhandling and overall offensive awereness are top notch, he was easily one of the most purely gifted fowards on that team Canada roster and possibly one of the most offensively gifted players in the whole tournament... That being said, this kid has to improve his speed, pace, strength and compete level furthermore in order to become a dominant player in the NHL, Is it that bad? No, I dont think so, I think the AHL will be a very good experience for him next year to develop his game and after spending some time there, I expect this kid to become a very good top 6 winger for us and a powerplay beast...

5- Alexander Romanov

What can I say that hasnt already been said? That kid is a very dynamic player who does everything on the ice, his skating is so fluid and smooth, he can move the puck very well, can hit like a truck, can defend like few players his age can, has pretty decent offensive awareness too, he does it all, except maybe quarterbacking a first PP unit since I dont see those game breaking abilities personally, overall, another big time riser in a re-draft, big big fan of his game...

6- Josh Brook

3 to 7 is very very close in my book, I could have Brook easily at 3, but since we have to rank them, I will put him here for now since I think he was a bit of a disappointment in this tournament... I know he was playing on his off side and wasnt given the opportunity to shine on the PP, but I dont feel he forced his coach's hand to get increased responsabilities much, was fine on the first PK unit and was possibly the most steady Canadian defenseman in his own zone, but I thought he was a bit too inconsistent through this tournament... Still has high potential and Im still a big fan, just think I have to rank him at this spot for now...

7- Cale Fleury

That kid, as I mentionned in another thread, reminds me alot of a young Francois Beauchemin since a bit like Romanov, he can do everything on the ice, can move the puck, can defend very well, can be a physical beast out there and a danger for the other teams fowards at gaining the offensive zone head low, Fleury, as Beauchemin used to, loves to throw open ice hits and most of the times, those hits are very well timed, can join the rush and generate some offense, another kid that looks like a stud going foward!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8- Jacob Olofsson
9- Joni Ikonen
10- Cameron Hillis\Jordan Harris
You are higher on Ylonen than I am. I am higher on Romanov than you are. Goalies I hardly rank that high as they are a wildcard. Hard to judge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad