Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects list post WJC

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Anyone require any more evidence that Button is a bonfied idiot? He entered the league through nepotism and was discarded due to gross incompetence. Both Button and Mcguire are jokes in the scouting community.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
full
I don't see anything, what are his rankings ?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Anyone require any more evidence that Button is a bonfied idiot? He entered the league through nepotism and was discarded due to gross incompetence. Both Button and Mcguire are jokes in the scouting community.

I kind of like the guy though, like a big old teddy bear.

BTW if Walford ever makes the AHL, I'll give up my username. He stinks.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Button has his own take. He was very high on Kotkienemi and Olofsson since before the draft. He ranks him as the 4th prospect, but only had him as a #3C.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I think Olofsson is underrated on these boards. Not saying he should be #4, but he's not that far off. Having such a big role on Team Sweden at his age is impressive.

Reactions: 417 and bryan1966

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Olofsson is not one of our top 5 prospects. Brook and Ylonen are both ahead of him. It's crazy to see how high some analysts are on Romanov. He's looking like the steal of the draft. Can't wait to see him. Already one of my favourite players in the organization. Romanov is going to be fun to watch.
Let's wait to see him play a NHL game before talking about how he's looking to be the steal no?..

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's not at all far fetched. I haven't seen enough for myself to definitively say he's wrong.

Button thinks like a GM. He values D and C's ahead of wingers. That list makes that pretty clear. He even says that Poehling is a #2-3C and that Suzuki is a top 6 F... but then puts Poehling ahead of Suzuki.

It helps to understand his rankings. It's probably why he has Olofsson ahead of Ylonen... also he has a man crush on all those big bodied Swedes...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Brook belongs in the top 5 and I think he is the closest to being NHL ready

I agree Brook should be in the top 5 mix. However, I think Poehling is the closest to NHL ready. He has been playing against men for 3 seasons now. After Poehling, I agree. Brook appears to be the next guy that is closest to be ready.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's wait to see him play a NHL game before talking about how he's looking to be the steal no?..

Looking to be a steal don't mean is a steal. It's ok to be high on a prospect like this based on what he is showing us. Yeah, he could disappoint but it's not tracking that way at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Tie between Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook. I don't think anyone knows who is the better piece at this point. All bring different things to the table.

2) Tie between Primeau & Ylonen. Edge to Primeau but Ylonen showed us his potential as well. Very curious to see how he finishes the year.

3) Tie between Olofsson and Fleury. Olofsson seems like another DLR type value if you ask me. Fleury is tracking to be a bottom pairing guy. Not sure he cracks the top 4D? Hard to predict and we have to wait.

4) Tie between Evans, Ikonen, Hillis, Harris, Tyszka, Walford, Vejdemo, McShane, Stapley. Some will disappoint, some will surprise. I don't believe we have any top of the line-up type assets from this group but hope one or a few of them prove me wrong.

- 6 potential Top 9F, Top 4D, Starting G, Potential
- 11 more guys behind them that will push for NHL spots at the bottom of the line-up

Habs have both top end quality and solid depth in quantity. Very encouraging to see. Now we will have to wait to see how it turns out and if they can be as good in the NHL as they are producing in the leagues they are playing in at the moment. Draft plus 1 and 2 years of development means a lot but then you have to see how they produce once they turn pro.

Habs top 6 or 7 prospects is as good as any other teams top prospects. Some omit Kotkaniemi but he still belongs in the young core group. When you look at our current age 25 and under core (Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, Danault, Kulak, Armia) and then the top prospects (Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau, Ylonen) and then add vets (Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry), it's looks like we have something to build on here.

I will be very curious to see who we pick in the 2019 draft!

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Button thinks like a GM. He values D and C's ahead of wingers. That list makes that pretty clear. He even says that Poehling is a #2-3C and that Suzuki is a top 6 F... but then puts Poehling ahead of Suzuki.

It helps to understand his rankings. It's probably why he has Olofsson ahead of Ylonen... also he has a man crush on all those big bodied Swedes...

thanks for the insights.

I had Suzuki ahead of Poehling because we really need high end offensive talent more than centers now. But, Poehling showed more offense at the world juniors against opposition of a high caliber than did Suzuki. It doesn't mean he has more offense to his game. But in the list of offensive accomplishments comparison list, Poheling gets the check on this one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
thanks for the insights.

I had Suzuki ahead of Poehling because we really need high end offensive talent more than centers now. But, Poehling showed more offense at the world juniors against opposition of a high caliber than did Suzuki. It doesn't mean he has more offense to his game. But in the list of offensive accomplishments comparison list, Poheling gets the check on this one.

We should be careful with Suzuki ahead of Poehling. NHL size body like Poehling is better suited. I think Suzuki is dynamic and his vision is very very good. Not attacking his skating but it's OK and not elite level. When you are Suzuki's size, you need to be a dynamic skater. Take away less time and space and he struggles to show you his skills IMO.

Think about the timing when Vegas traded Suzuki (Sept 10th). It was after Vegas got a look at Suzuki's game against men. Don't misread this as me saying Suzuki will bust but we should not overlook NHL size bodies and that Suzuki needs to get a lot more stronger and to also improve his skating so he can create that time and space he needs.

I'm very much interested to see Suzuki's game once he turns pro. Poehling has already played against men for 3 seasons now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We should be careful with Suzuki ahead of Poehling. NHL size body like Poehling is better suited. I think Suzuki is dynamic and his vision is very very good. Not attacking his skating but it's OK and not elite level. When you are Suzuki's size, you need to be a dynamic skater. Take away less time and space and he struggles to show you his skills IMO.

Think about the timing when Vegas traded Suzuki (Sept 10th). It was after Vegas got a look at Suzuki's game against men. Don't misread this as me saying Suzuki will bust but we should not overlook NHL size bodies and that Suzuki needs to get a lot more stronger and to also improve his skating so he can create that time and space he needs.

I'm very much interested to see Suzuki's game once he turns pro. Poehling has already played against men for 3 seasons now.

The only thing I'm worried about is Suzuki's speed. In the new game big guys that can't skate aren't that useful (see Bobby Ryan, etc..) And big guys that can skate but don't have good offensive instincts are only so usefull (Armia, DLR). Small players that can skate and have offensive instincts are fine (Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Tatar, etc...)

Suzuki will be fine if his skating is fine. If not, no matter how gifted he is in other areas, it will be a huge problem.

As for Poehling, I can't think of a big player in the NHL that produces offensively, but isn't gifted offensively. We'll see how good he is. He looked good at the WJC.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The only thing I'm worried about is Suzuki's speed. In the new game big guys that can't skate aren't that useful (see Bobby Ryan, etc..) And big guys that can skate but don't have good offensive instincts are only so usefull (Armia, DLR). Small players that can skate and have offensive instincts are fine (Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Tatar, etc...)

Suzuki will be fine if his skating is fine. If not, no matter how gifted he is in other areas, it will be a huge problem.

As for Poehling, I can't think of a big player in the NHL that produces offensively, but isn't gifted offensively. We'll see how good he is. He looked good at the WJC.
I don't see any issues with his skating. Not sure where this whole thing stems from but he's not a bad skater at all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see any issues with his skating. Not sure where this whole thing stems from but he's not a bad skater at all.

Last few highlights I've seen from Owen Sound, he's flying out there. But I've heard many say he will be below average at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad