Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Daniel Briere to a 2 year, $8M deal WITH NTC/NMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Ryder didn't really fit in though. He was a big reason we made the playoffs, no doubt. Clutch goals. But he always seemed so far behind the play.

Briere when healthy is certainly faster than Ryder, but if we need to have a one dimensional scorer, I'd rather have the guy who played a big part in our season than a 36 year old who was an injury prone mess last year.

TorontoHabs90

Aug 9, 2006
Toronto
He's wearing the CH, so I don't think I'll have a problem cheering for him, but his patented goal celebration and his sneaky stick work always made me dislike him.

Yes, it was painful to see the Quebec-born player score against our beloved Habs (often in clutch times in the playoffs too) and do his goal celebration while circling behind the net... that made me hate him too...

Picture us in a moment we are all desperate for a goal, however, in a Habs jersey as the crowd goes wild.

I ONNNNLY hate this deal if Bergy is finished. There is so much time to get bigger, but think positively. You don't wanna be the guy to say wow I embarassed myself by hating on Briere so hard. Bergevin isn't done, he cannot be. If he is, I will join the angry bandwagon. But Bergy knows we cannot possibly stay this small after what we have learned the past season especially

void

Jan 5, 2006
Man.. it's going to take me a while before I get used to that. :help:

xljwqc.jpg

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
My problem with this whole trade DD since we now have Danny *****ing Briere is that DD will no doubt be more productive than Briere at this point in his career. I don't see how this makes us a better team at all.

This. DD is 10 years younger than Briere and has played a total of about two full seasons. DD could conceivably improve. I expect if DD is traded he will out-point Briere this season. We are not not better today, but I will wait and see if MB does Houdini his way out of this.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I've heard him speak enough about it to extrapolate it. I don't have to know him personally, his agenda is clear.

OK so he has used the word 'character' a few times in the last week. And then he signed a small guy and said the guy has character. So from this we can surmise that to him 'character' only means small players who we will pit against larger players to fulfill his personal David vs Goliath fantasy?

Free agency has not even started yet. And the offseason is young. Another word Bergevin has used is 'size', so I am sure he is looking for some.

simplysincere*

Yay! We now officially have a smurf line of Gionta, Desharnais, and Briere. No one over 5'8.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Is the internet broken?????My word.....unreal

This is smurfville lines all over again......maybe they brought him in for some payback for passin us over before...,lllol when Habs get beat down by Leafs and Bruins etc.Briere i hope your ready...lol

Plus there gonna Boo him..lol,what does he bring we already dont have???

Waiting next for Montreal Canadiens trade of Chara.....

Last edited:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I think this ''trade the player with the highest value'' is pretty stupid, at the end of the day Bergevin still wants us to be successful short term and won't make us roll with Desharnais as our #1 center if you deal Pleky. Also no one really knows what Eller's ceiling is, trading a 24 year old center like him would be a terrible mistake.

I totally agree with you here, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying this is a possibility we shouldn't rule out.

Plus what bugs me, is that we gave DD a 4 years extension during the season, I can't believe MB will trade him this summer. He will likely give him another chance to see if he can succeed here. That's why I don't think DD will be moved this summer.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
In before 'character' being mentioned as the key reason for signing him.
I will come in off the ledge for a moment and I have an honest question. I have already seen the 'character' thing bandied about. Is there something I am missing? I have never once associated Briere with character, rather I'd tend to put him in the mild rat/weasel category. Am I wrong? Is there some evidence of his locker room presence or what have you? Or do we just have the 'look at me' fist pump?

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
For those who missed the presser.

Question to Danny Briere.

-What's the difference between this time and the last time you were an UFA, why did you pick Montreal this time?

-Last time, it was a hard decision... I'm honored to be a Hab now. (He doesn't really answer the question)

-What did you get into during your convo with MB, ice time? Role?

-No, I was really impressed with the way the Canadiens approached me, but we didn’t get into those things.

-What message do you have to Montreal Canadiens fans?

-Montreal's fans are the most passionate fans, and it's an honor to play in front of them. And I hope and look forward to us all cheering in the same directions.

-Do you think you have anything to prove after the production going down in the last couple of seasons.

-Yes definitely, I had a few problems with injuries in the last season, the shortened season, but I'm really looking forward to having a chance to prove myself and playing for Montreal.

-Do you still have problems with your concussion injuries?

-Not at all, I was able to take my time coming back, I'm at 100% now

-What was the role of your family in taking this decision?

-Obviously being able to come back home and play in front of my friends and family played a huge role. Everyone growing up in Quebec wants to play for the Habs so I'm glad. (He still hasn't decided if his kids are going to live here.)

-Would you be comfortable playing on the wing since Montreal has a lot of centers?

-Yes, I have absolutely no problem with that, I leave that up to Michel Therrien.

-Did any of your new teammates contact you yet?

-Yeah, I saw a few guys welcoming me on twitter.

-Do you think that you are now ready to face the Montreal market compared to 2007?

-I hope, I'm probably more mature, so I hope I'll be able to face everything this great city has to offer.

-Were there reasons for your drop in production last season?

-Yeah, it's mostly because of the injuries, I just didn't have time to catch up with everyone else, also, the team was doing bad, and so everything kind of went bad...

-Did you notice a difference in the way you were used by Philly?

-I'd rather not talk about that now.. I had great time in Philly, and I want to thank everyone there.

-What was your mindset when you found out the Flyers were letting you go?

-Obviously you feel sad, however, after a few minutes I realized that new opportunities would present themselves and within hours teams called, and when Montreal called, I obviously got excited.

-Is this decision more emotional for you compared to the one in 2007?

-I would say yes, at the age I'm at.. I realize that this is probably my last chance to play for Montreal, so I'm happy.

-What were the contacts between you and MB?

-At first MB contacted my agent, but quickly I met MT and MB, and they shared with me their vision of the team, at that point I took some time with family and friends and most were very excited with the prospect of my playing with Montreal.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
This. DD is 10 years younger than Briere and has played a total of about two full seasons. DD could conceivably improve. I expect if DD is traded he will out-point Briere this season. We are not not better today, but I will wait and see if MB does Houdini his way out of this.

Even if he is 10 years younger, DD is still 26, at that point it is rare that forwards improve that much.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
OK so he has used the word 'character' a few times in the last week. And then he signed a small guy and said the guy has character. So from this we can surmise that to him 'character' only means small players who we will pit against larger players to fulfill his personal David vs Goliath fantasy?

Free agency has not even started yet. And the offseason is young. Another word Bergevin has used is 'size', so I am sure he is looking for some.

He's used the word 'character' every chance he gets. If he brings in some grit to bring this pile of girls into the big-boys league this season, I'll forgive him.

PricePkPatch*

I was a bit disapointed, but not overly so, at first. I mean, he's not THAT bad, maybe he can find a second wind to his performance with a new team. He comes for a bit of cap hit, he's here short term. Can't say we get screwed by anything.

People comparing this to the Gomez deal need to take a good look in the mirror.

What really pissed me off, tho, is the NTC/NMC. COME ON. 2 years is perfect if we had wanted to trade him next year!!!

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
He's used the word 'character' every chance he gets..

I don't know how many times he used it. Every chance he gets sounds a bit exaggerated. But what does it matter? How do you know 'character' means only small guys?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
For those who missed the presser.

Question to Danny Briere.

-What's the difference between this time and the last time you were an UFA, why did you pick Montreal this time?

-Last time, it was a hard decision... I'm honored to be a Hab now. (He doesn't really answer the question)

-What did you get into during your convo with MB, ice time? Role?

-No, I was really impressed with the way the Canadiens approached me, but we didn’t get into those things.

-What message do you have to Montreal Canadiens fans?

-Montreal's fans are the most passionate fans, and it's an honor to play in front of them. And I hope and look forward to us all cheering in the same directions.

-Do you think you have anything to prove after the production going down in the last couple of seasons.

-Yes definitely, I had a few problems with injuries in the last season, the shortened season, but I'm really looking forward to having a chance to prove myself and playing for Montreal.

-Do you still have problems with your concussion injuries?

-Not at all, I was able to take my time coming back, I'm at 100% now

-What was the role of your family in taking this decision?

-Obviously being able to come back home and play in front of my friends and family played a huge role. Everyone growing up in Quebec wants to play for the Habs so I'm glad. (He still hasn't decided if his kids are going to live here.)

-Would you be comfortable playing on the wing since Montreal has a lot of centers?

-Yes, I have absolutely no problem with that, I leave that up to Michel Therrien.

-Did any of your new teammates contact you yet?

-Yeah, I saw a few guys welcoming me on twitter.

-Do you think that you are now ready to face the Montreal market compared to 2007?

-I hope, I'm probably more mature, so I hope I'll be able to face everything this great city has to offer.

-Were there reasons for your drop in production last season?

-Yeah, it's mostly because of the injuries, I just didn't have time to catch up with everyone else, also, the team was doing bad, and so everything kind of went bad...

-Did you notice a difference in the way you were used by Philly?

-I'd rather not talk about that now.. I had great time in Philly, and I want to thank everyone there.

-What was your mindset when you found out the Flyers were letting you go?

-Obviously you feel sad, however, after a few minutes I realized that new opportunities would present themselves and within hours teams called, and when Montreal called, I obviously got excited.

-Is this decision more emotional for you compared to the one in 2007?

-I would say yes, at the age I'm at.. I realize that this is probably my last chance to play for Montreal, so I'm happy.

-What were the contacts between you and MB?

-At first MB contacted my agent, but quickly I met MT and MB, and they shared with me their vision of the team, at that point I took some time with family and friends and most were very excited with the prospect of my playing with Montreal.

In short - Montreal was the best of what was left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad