Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Daniel Briere to a 2 year, $8M deal WITH NTC/NMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We aren't bigger. But we are definitely better than last year on paper.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Briere

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta

Prust - White - Moen

No we're not. Gionta Briere and Desharnais will continue to regress and Bourque isn't going to be man on a mission Bourque the whole season. I'd be shocked if we finished above 8th place. After all the optimism of this season it's pretty clear we're going down quickly.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Holy Overreaction. Experts are saying themselves that the habs are exploring trade options. With Gionta coming off injury and his ability dwindling a guy like Briere becomes a safety net and an all around better player. I guarantee the habs end up trading DD.

The problem with this is the same one Gainey had in the summer of 09. Gainey let all of his players go to UFA so he was backed against a wall and HAD to sign players. So he overpaid a bunch of midgets and made a ridiculous trade to fix his poor planning. This is more or less the same thing here. Bergevin has backed himself into a corner with 5 midgets in his top 9 (Gionta, Gallagher, DD, Plekanec, Briere), 3 of which are natural centers, 2 of which are poor defensively, all of which aren't great at faceoffs. So he HAS to make a move. If all of the "balls in the air" end up working perfectly then we're good, otherwise we will make ridiculous moves to try and fix this mess. I don't think this is good planning. But I'll give a chance to MB to prove me wrong. I was backing him until now but this was the last straw really.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Briere isn't better than Ryder, and hasn't been for years.

I didn't even realize Ryder was playing once the playoffs started. A pylon would have been just as effective. Luckily Briere is much better than a pylon.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know why but I have the strange feeling that Eller will be the one leaving. If this happens, on man I'm gonna be mad.

EDIT: ^^^Wizard

If Eller or Plekanec leave, the stupidity of the management is more than I thought. That'd be simply ridiculous.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm with you. I cannot stand Danielle. The fact he is a hab player now makes me want to puke. Nevermind the logical reasons behind why it's not a good move, but this emotional reason >>> all of it. I don't think I'll be able to cheer for him really.

He's wearing the CH, so I don't think I'll have a problem cheering for him, but his patented goal celebration and his sneaky stick work always made me dislike him.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
DD for a 2nd round pick is fine with me. I don't care about the return as long as he is banished.

My problem with this whole trade DD since we now have Danny *****ing Briere is that DD will no doubt be more productive than Briere at this point in his career. I don't see how this makes us a better team at all.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Briere isn't better than Ryder, and hasn't been for years.
Ryder didn't really fit in though. He was a big reason we made the playoffs, no doubt. Clutch goals. But he always seemed so far behind the play.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I didn't even realize Ryder was playing once the playoffs started. A pylon would have been just as effective. Luckily Briere is much better than a pylon.

Ryder better than Briere, what a joke. Ryder was pretty much our worst player the last 10 games of the season+playoffs. Is Briere better? I'm not sure, but i do know that when the games count he definitely is.

And what else really matters???

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Well if he wants to trade a center, and wants a good return he will either trade Eller or Plecky. No way Galchy is leaving, and he won't get anything for DD.

Not saying this will happen or that I want this to happen (I really don't) but I think we shouldn't rule out that possibility.

I think this ''trade the player with the highest value'' is pretty stupid, at the end of the day Bergevin still wants us to be successful short term and won't make us roll with Desharnais as our #1 center if you deal Pleky. Also no one really knows what Eller's ceiling is, trading a 24 year old center like him would be a terrible mistake.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Its not only about our players. But the players that will be UFA. 2014 is one of the strongest UFA class in years.

People say that every year and then all the big fish re-sign in season with their teams...

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I would have preferred a bigger scoring forward but there are not very many that are available via free agency. Habs have looked at Clowe and Lecavalier like many other teams and it sounds like there is a bidding war for Clarkson. So who else can score goals and be intimidating out there?
Horton has said he doesn't want to go to a traditional hockey market

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Where on Earth do you get this from? Do you know Bergevin personally? You have no idea what the guy is thinking.

I've heard him speak enough about it to extrapolate it. I don't have to know him personally, his agenda is clear.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I think this ''trade the player with the highest value'' is pretty stupid, at the end of the day Bergevin still wants us to be successful short term and won't make us roll with Desharnais as our #1 center if you deal Pleky. Also no one really knows what Eller's ceiling is, trading a 24 year old center like him would be a terrible mistake.

That's just it. The return from Desharnais would be having him off our roster and the extra cap space plus a pick or prospect or something.

m00ks

Jan 31, 2008
Wierd. Draft size and talent, sign a smaller declining fwd. I dont get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad