Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Daniel Briere to a 2 year, $8M deal WITH NTC/NMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplysincere*

To keep the tradition of small players, we now need to go pursue Grabovski.

Playoff Beard

Sep 7, 2006
whether you like Briere or not, wait and see what kind of contract players like Weiss and Filpulla get... This deal will look pretty good for a decent player like Briere for 2 years. Still, weird move considering the current roster, but I'll give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt and let him until the end of the summer before criticizing. Actually, we all should wait a few games into the season before judging that move. People here are seriously overreacting every trade/signing the habs make.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
It may not have been your intention, but all this talk about Briere touching our kids is not making the signing any better.

Have a seat right over here Daniel....

matt-why-dont-you-have-a-seat-over-4497-1287095216-39.jpg

LOLLLLLll Oh my god!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs fans saying they now miss Gauthier or Gainey......that would be like Isles fans saying they miss Milbury because of Garth Snow....

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Hi......Flyers fan coming in peace......

We in Philly loved Danny. He was truly a stand up guy. Good or bad game Danny would be there for the media. What ever Flyers management asked Danny, Danny would do with elan. Danny is a centerman through and through, Philly tried making him a winger but that was not a very good idea. He is ideal for 3rd line center, and when necessary a 2nd line center. And on the PP he can be deadly. He has lost a step or two since coming to Philly. And his backchecking is well........at best ok......and he will get clobbered in the corners but to his credit, he does not back down.

He will quickly take in the young players and help them out. Please do not boo him, you will be rewarded for his great character. And I honestly hope that he does well for you. [except of course when he plays against us ;-)]

BTW, there is a new rumour going around, now that the Flyers have signed Adam Hall, that Talbot is expendable. Would Montreal be interested?

Thanks for reading!

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't know how many times he used it. Every chance he gets sounds a bit exaggerated. But what does it matter? How do you know 'character' means only small guys?

Oh, here's a little more on my 'character' exaggerations :

Bergevin on Max Pacioretty extension:

"We felt that he's a part of our core moving forward; he shows character, [with] what happened with the incident when he got hurt and came back."

Bergevin on 2012 draft haul:

"We got talent and character, and to me those are the most important things."

Bergevin on drafting Alex Galchenyuk:

"He's a big centre with talent, vision, and character."

Bergevin on drafting Sebastian Collberg:

"Top two lines. Top six. With a scoring touch and with character."

Bergevin on Brendan Gallagher:

"He has character that's off the charts."

Bergevin on potential trade deadline moves:

"You always look at all the options, but depth and character and speed is what you need to reach your ultimate goal."

Bergevin on drafting Michael McCarron:

"Obviously we like the size, the grit and the character. Mike has a lot of character and the way he's been used we know he has hockey sense and he has grit."

Bergevin on Christian Thomas:

"This young 21-year old forward has shown tremendous character."

He sounds like Rain Man for christ sakes.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
This pisses me off to no end. Once again the Habs cave in to the French media and sign this washed up smurf.

I don't think this has anything to do with it at all. I don't think there was any pressure to bring in Briere.

Most of the crowd that wants more Quebecois hates Briere.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
We aren't bigger. But we are definitely better than last year on paper.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Briere

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta

Prust - White - Moen

not better than last year. Really unimpressive line-up. Also the defense's even worse.

Myron Gaines*

Briere is a savvy playmaker, a ****ing rat, but he brings creativity offensively. The contract is decent. That said, one of the manlets have to go, DD or Gio. Preferably both.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
DD has a $3.5M cap while Briere is $4M... and I'll bet dollars to donuts that Desharnais outproduces Briere next year. Trading DD will not land us much either so again, what was the point of this signing?

It will depend which player gets the honor of being the 'sheltered one'.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So let me get this straight.. the signing is bad. But it turns into a fantastic signing if we get rid of the 26-year-old who outscored him in each of the last two seasons (more goals too) and even costs less money?

Okay then.

I have no problem getting rid of Desharnais if it improves our team. But the amount of people that want to dump a 45-60 point player for something that won't help our team blows my mind.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
This contract is decent, the term isnt too long and Brière brings a whole lot of skill, work ethic and leadership to the Habs squad.

Some of you really need to chill out, you guys are acting as if the season starts tomorrow...Let's judge our roster when it's finalized.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Oh, here's a little more on my 'character' exaggerations :

Ok. So what though? He likes to use the word 'character'. None of those players are the same. He used it to refer to Pacioretty and McCarron, among others. How does that mean he wants to bring in more smallish guys?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Briere is only one inch shorter than Kristo, and you all didn't have a problem with Kristo being a "lock for Ryder's spot in the top 6". If DD is moved, this deal looks a lot better. Just give the guy a chance before you bash him, and especially before you bash MB and call for his head.

Exchanging DD for an aging, declining Briere is NOT making this team better. Also, there is no way Briere is 5'10".

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
This is the worst week ever.

Unless we trade DD, then im alright with this move.

But Dany saying he ALWAYS wanted to play here **** off you wanted "anonymity" years ago when you snubbed us for philly

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm still waiting for watsatheos compilation with some catchy dub step music.

The song he originally had for Nygren I got hooked on.

If I change a song it's because of copyright notices lol.

Analyzer*

Hi......Flyers fan coming in peace......

We in Philly loved Danny. He was truly a stand up guy. Good or bad game Danny would be there for the media. What ever Flyers management asked Danny, Danny would do with elan. Danny is a centerman through and through, Philly tried making him a winger but that was not a very good idea. He is ideal for 3rd line center, and when necessary a 2nd line center. And on the PP he can be deadly. He has lost a step or two since coming to Philly. And his backchecking is well........at best ok......and he will get clobbered in the corners but to his credit, he does not back down.

He will quickly take in the young players and help them out. Please do not boo him, you will be rewarded for his great character. And I honestly hope that he does well for you. [except of course when he plays against us ;-)]

BTW, there is a new rumour going around, now that the Flyers have signed Adam Hall, that Talbot is expendable. Would Montreal be interested?

Thanks for reading!

Bien sur! Je te donne un choix pour lui ?

Talbot would be a nice player. I hope they don't boo him either. No reason to boo a player on your own team.

If I change a song it's because of copyright notices lol.

I figured as much. Good thing I got the name before hand.

Is there a possibility for a compilation ?

It also sucks when a song you use they restrict it to the states only. You had a sweet Subban compilation from a few years ago that was 7 minutes long.

Saintpatrick*

I don't think this has anything to do with it at all. I don't think there was any pressure to bring in Briere.

Most of the crowd that wants more Quebecois hates Briere.

I still think it's a horrible move. We essentially spent the cap money we saved when we traded Cole on Briere? In the process we got alot smaller it's just an odd move. And to top it off they get a player that most Habs fans despise including myself.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Maybe we can shelter them both and they can figure out a way to produce together. :)

I think talks to goalposts was the one who already detailed how if they were to play together they'd get outplayed by most bottom 6'ers. Scary ****, yo.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
So let me get this straight.. the signing is bad. But it turns into a fantastic signing if we get rid of the 26-year-old who outscored him in each of the last two seasons (more goals too) and even costs less money?

Okay then.

I have no problem getting rid of Desharnais if it improves our team. But the amount of people that want to dump a 45-60 point player for something that won't help our team blows my mind.

Thing is, Desharnais is absolutely useless in the playoffs. I don't think he touched the puck even once.

Brière on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad