Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Daniel Briere to a 2 year, $8M deal WITH NTC/NMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
The guys hasn't even laced his skated yet and you people are ready to crucify him...

We can get to that, no problem, let's make sure he actually deserves it first though, how about that?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
DD has a $3.5M cap while Briere is $4M... and I'll bet dollars to donuts that Desharnais outproduces Briere next year. Trading DD will not land us much either so again, what was the point of this signing?

I'm with you there. Why trade for something we already have, and younger?

You want DD out? Fine! We don't need to sign Briere for that to happen!

What are the current rumours? We're gonna trade Eller just so that Briere has a guaranteed spot?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So let me get this straight.. the signing is bad. But it turns into a fantastic signing if we get rid of the 26-year-old who outscored him in each of the last two seasons (more goals too) and even costs less money?

Okay then.

I have no problem getting rid of Desharnais if it improves our team. But the amount of people that want to dump a 45-60 point player for something that won't help our team blows my mind.

From what I've read, the consensus is more 'terrible signing considering current team makeup' and 'detrimental to have both DD/Briere - one has to go'

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Thing is, Desharnais is absolutely useless in the playoffs. I don't think he touched the puck even once.

Brière on the other hand...

Brière on the other hand won't have the luxury of being as well surrounded as he's been in philly.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Thing is, Desharnais is absolutely useless in the playoffs. I don't think he touched the puck even once.

If Desharnais shot 30% in the playoffs like Briere did in his last playoff performance (before that he was a legitimately good exploitation scorer), he'd have that reputation too.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
So let me get this straight.. the signing is bad. But it turns into a fantastic signing if we get rid of the 26-year-old who outscored him in each of the last two seasons (more goals too) and even costs less money?

Okay then.

I have no problem getting rid of Desharnais if it improves our team. But the amount of people that want to dump a 45-60 point player for something that won't help our team blows my mind.

Ya ok, Desharnais has 2 points in 10 playoff games, Mr Clutch.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Wierd. Draft size and talent, sign a smaller declining fwd. I dont get it.

There's more moves coming, that's why. If not, then yeah, confusing. But besides the obvious lack of size, Briere has the intangibles that Bergevin is looking for, namely his clutch scoring ability.

Nobody has probably brought up these stats:

Last three years of playoffs:

09-10 23 games - 12 goals 18 assists
10-11 11 games 7 goals 2 assists
11-12 11 games 8 goals 5 assists

Last year i think was a write-off for him. He had injuries, he never really got going, he never really clicked with his linelates, etc.,. The way I see it, despite his stats went down from 68 to 49 points in 10-11 to 11-12, he had a really solid playoffs, more than a point a game. That proves to me that he's far from done.

I think he, like DD, are suffering the unfair wrath of Habs fans. they both had off years, and because they're small, they're easy to pick on (no pun intended). I think they'll both have bounce back seasons.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
The guys hasn't even laced his skated yet and you people are ready to crucify him...

We can get to that, no problem, let's make sure he actually deserves it first though, how about that?

Yes.

People will whine all season, and when the playoffs come, the guy will own and people will say how amazing Briere is...

Sounds like Cammalleri all over to me, even for the size!

But then again, I don't want to hope too much. I just hope he does well in Montreal.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The reason he didn't come the last time left him for another fella in Philly. THAT was the real reason. People who know him in Gatineau will approve. I had told you guys. He's ready to come back home, he invested in a marvelous soon-to-open new sports compex in his home town, his closest buddies are ALL Habs fans hehehe.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
By the end of the summer, after Bergevin will have done all his moves, nobody will whine about cap space or size.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
The reason he didn't come the last time left him for another fella in Philly. THAT was the real reason. People who know him in Gatineau will approve. I had told you guys. He's ready to come back home, he invested in a marvelous soon-to-open new sports compex in his home town, his closest buddies are ALL Habs fans hehehe.

Seems like more motivation to outperform in Montreal!

Rutabaga

Apr 27, 2010
Middle of Nowhere
There's more moves coming, that's why. If not, then yeah, confusing. But besides the obvious lack of size, Briere has the intangibles that Bergevin is looking for, namely his clutch scoring ability.

Last year i think was a write-off for him. He had injuries, he never really got going, he never really clicked with his linelates, etc.,. The way I see it, despite his stats went down from 68 to 49 points in 10-11 to 11-12, he had a really solid playoffs, more than a point a game. That proves to me that he's far from done.

I think he, like DD, are suffering the unfair wrath of Habs fans. they both had off years, and because they're small, they're easy to pick on (no pun intended). I think they'll both have bounce back seasons.

Goals are nice, but his +/- is absolutely horrible, and he's the player with the worst number of GA against of the team by a very (un)impressive margin.

Myron Gaines*

Also 2 less years on the contract.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Desharnais was pretty good in his first playoffs. He had one great this year and a bunch of horrible ones, similar to his season.

But it makes no sense, at least to me, to throw-away a guy who, by all means, should get better. Let's see if it was a typical sophomore slump or if he's already peaked. He's a smart player who can adapt. He's got no value after last season - so at least let him try to build some value up before trading him. If a team sees value in him, by all means, trade him.

I want this team to win as much as anyone.

I'm not a huge fan of the Briere signing either. I would have stood pat if we couldn't get something that I thought fit more into the team needs (ala Clarkson or Clowe).

But what's done is done, so I'm going to wait before I bash it.

WG

Sep 9, 2008

People on the positive side have brought up the playoff stats, but forget to note that despite the good G-A-PT totals DB is overall a minus player over those playoffs despite playing sheltered minutes.

I think the wrath is a)the redundancy, not just the size but the fact that you have a potentially creative offensive guy but you need to give him favorable matchups or else his defensive play is nowhere near good enough. We already have too many of those guys. And b) it's high risk, medium reward given DB's age and injury history. What if last year's 12-goal, 35-point pace is his current level?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
This contract is decent, the term isnt too long and Brière brings a whole lot of skill, work ethic and leadership to the Habs squad.

Some of you really need to chill out, you guys are acting as if the season starts tomorrow...Let's judge our roster when it's finalized.

MB has backed himself into a corner. Now he HAS to make moves. Other GMs know that. Just like Sather knew that Gainey needed a center bad. He made him overpay through the roof for the privilege of getting rid of a bad asset. That's what awaits MB here. That type of trade offers now that he has 5 midgets in his top 9.

So yeah, MB probably isn't finished but who's to say that he'll succeed with his next few moves ? Maybe his 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice won't work out. What happens then ? Smart people don't put themselves into these type of situations.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Desharnais shot 30% in the playoffs like Briere did in his last playoff performance (before that he was a legitimately good exploitation scorer), he'd have that reputation too.

Desharnais can barely even get any shots on goal in the playoffs, took him 4 games to even get one this year. :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ya ok, Desharnais has 2 points in 10 playoff games, Mr Clutch.
Oh no! Max Pacioretty has 1 point in 4 playoff games. BUST!

Desharnais can barely even get any shots on goal in the playoffs, took him 4 games to even get one this year. :laugh:
That's because he's an idiot and always looks for the pass. He doesn't even have a bad shot. I don't understand why the he doesn't shoot more often. Especially when he struggled last year - he should have tried putting the puck on net.

Last edited:

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
People on the positive side have brought up the playoff stats, but forget to note that despite the good G-A-PT totals DB is overall a minus player over those playoffs despite playing sheltered minutes.

I think the wrath is a)the redundancy, not just the size but the fact that you have a potentially creative offensive guy but you need to give him favorable matchups or else his defensive play is nowhere near good enough. We already have too many of those guys. And b) it's high risk, medium reward given DB's age and injury history. What if last year's 12-goal, 35-point pace is his current level?

I didnt forget to note it, i just think that in a better system, with better goaltending and better D he won't be as victimized +/- wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->