Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 2 Czech defensemen, David Sklenicka and Michal Moravcik

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
no...you can have defense players that can defend and SCORE...

That HABS DEFENSE is a dump....it can't score ,and cant defend...

Having a dcore that can score a lot ,is a big benefit to your forwards....

And I would like a 50 goalscorer that is also a Selke candidate, but them the breaks.

We need an upgrade on our LHD PMD and an overall upgrade on our defensive D. The two Czech offer a chance at the latter, so it's a step in the good direction. Galipeau would be a step towards the former.

UFA is dry of LHD PMD, so unless Markov comes back or we make a trade, don't expect it to change.

During the draft, we can easily get several potential top4 PMD with our 2nds this year, so that'd be great too.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd prefer that, since his high risk moves have been trading Subban and Sergachev, so let him do this low risk moves just take his phone away if he comes up with any high risk moves other then trading Pac for a 1st round pick.
Sure, but I would rather acquire for an already established player in the league that is near or in his prime.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't mind these signings. Actually, these are the kind of signings I love to see. Radulov, Jerabek, Sekac, Carr were all very nice risks. Panarin, Shipashyov and Dadonov would have been too.

I just want us to maximise these assets when we do get them.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
According to Czech media (use google translate):

Splněný sen. Sklenička s Moravčíkem míří do Montrealu

Sklenicka (21) and Moravcik (23) have played together in Plzen and both had a strong showing at the 2018 WC in Denmark.

Michal Moravcik at eliteprospects.com
David Sklenicka at eliteprospects.com

No details about the contracts available, apparently the news has just been announced.

No problem with this obviously. This is what a billion dollar organisation should be doing. Ahead of 24 other teams.

In an era where there's only 7 rounds in a draft.....you absolutely cannot think that any signing is not terribly important. I guess at one point signing Gourde was not important either. Or Marchessault. Or Tyler Johnson etc. At one point, yes, there are more duds than studs....but there are still some studs in there. And if at worst, the guy you get is JUST a very good AHL'er....well maybe it helps the team wins and let the prospects develop. And it then becomes important.
Nothing against you WS, but It's so great when it has come down to us hoping that our signings help the AHL team...

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-05-28-%C3%A0-09.31.47.png

I don't get these tweets. Usually Aivis Kalnins is an even-keel kind of guy, who just reports the facts or when it's about rumors, he's reliable.

But these comments seem to be out of character, it's a like a personal condemnation of Bergevin (not that he hasn't done anything to deserve criticism) that destroys with the same brush, what these players may bring to the team.

Regardless, it looks like there was interest in these players from the KHL:

Montreal Canadiens sign defencemen Michal Moravčík and David Sklenička

They may not have the greatest upside, but teams sign these kinds of players all the time. To me, it just look like decent housekeeping. These are the types of players who are bound to get ice time when injuries hit or when multiple call-ups happen. Plus, they're still young enough. Who knows how much input Bouchard in their signing.

LmAO. As if Bouchard knows who the hell these guys are. Did he see them in international play?

I think Lernout should play in Laval and be our first call up....he can relish the role of the guy, the leader. I really like this defenceman, hope we keep him around for the long haul.
I he was any good he would have made the team full time last year.

Oh f*** off Allan. Celebrating Habs signing 2 contracts and your 10 percent bite. What a Toronto you are. Dick.

Well, you only get so many draft picks and they do need to restock the cupboard. Not to mention they need talent in Laval too.
They also only have 50 contracts that they are allowed to sign.

Expect the worse, hope for the best :nod:
I expect the worst, and know it will happen. That is what I plan for. It works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Runner77

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Each off season the NHL teams sign 20 or so undrafted Euro league free agents and only a few end up sticking around more then a year or two (Shipachov, a top player, not even that long).

Big adjustment with the smaller ice surface. They have a small window to make the adjustment, so the younger the better.

They seemed to run out of dmen in Laval last season so more depth is a good idea, especially some with upside.

Reactions: bsl

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We also need D that can defend.

What we need is for our scoring fwd to actually score.
Finally had to reply. Uh no, we need a D corps that scores 40 goals. Minimum. Last year was the worst goal scoring D I have seen on the Habs in 45 years.

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Finally had to reply. Uh no, we need a D corps that scores 40 goals. Minimum. Last year was the worst goal scoring D I have seen on the Habs in 45 years.

Nashville: 56
Colombus: 51
Philadelphia: 50

Arizona: 50
Tampa Bay: 47
Florida: 44
Anaheim:42
Minnesota: 42
Toronto: 42

STL:42
LA: 40
Calgary: 40
Ottawa:40
SJ: 39
NYI: 39
Pittsburgh: 38
Washington: 38
Vegas: 37
Boston: 34

Carolina: 34
Chicago: 33
Winnipeg: 32
Edmonton: 32
New Jersey: 31
Dallas: 31
Montreal: 31
Detroit: 30
Vancouver: 21
NYR: 20
Buffalo:19

Considering our best D goalscorer played only 26 games, we're pretty much on the same level as most PO level team. If we go direct Weber 82 games projection, it gives us 43 goals and 7th position overall, 5th among PO team. Even if we go more conservative and say Weber goes a conservative 15 goals this year (only went 3 other times below 15 goals as 2/28 at 20, 6/54 at 22 and 9/48 at 27), we're tied 11th overall and 8th among PO teams.

Even if we go MTL years, Weber has 23 goals in 104 games, averaging 18 goals or so a year. That would put us at the same level as the projection.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Also,as our D goal production:
2017-2018: 31 goals
2016-2017: 41 goals
2015-2016: 23 goals
2014-2015: 37 goals
2013-2014: 24 goals
2012-2013: 28/48 so 49 /82 goals
2011-2012: 26 goals
2010-2011: 35 goals

So yeah @bsl , it's nowhere close to the worst. Just in the last 8 years, it ranks 5/8 if we extrapolate the half season.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
again, i got nothing against good low scoring players...but we got way too many...for example adding Michal Kempny to Habs defence ,what exact benifit does his 2 goals bring? and 1 goal in playoffs? we are team that barley got over 200 goals this year..lol

My point is we need more d that can SCORE
You do know we suck at defense right? A defenseman’s first job is not to put the puck in the net...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

We don't need a D corps that can score an arbitrary number of goals. We need a D corps that can defend well, transition the puck well and set up forwards to score.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Nashville: 56
Colombus: 51
Philadelphia: 50

Arizona: 50
Tampa Bay: 47
Florida: 44
Anaheim:42
Minnesota: 42
Toronto: 42

STL:42
LA: 40
Calgary: 40
Ottawa:40
SJ: 39
NYI: 39
Pittsburgh: 38
Washington: 38
Vegas: 37
Boston: 34

Carolina: 34
Chicago: 33
Winnipeg: 32
Edmonton: 32
New Jersey: 31
Dallas: 31
Montreal: 31
Detroit: 30
Vancouver: 21
NYR: 20
Buffalo:19

Considering our best D goalscorer played only 26 games, we're pretty much on the same level as most PO level team. If we go direct Weber 82 games projection, it gives us 43 goals and 7th position overall, 5th among PO team. Even if we go more conservative and say Weber goes a conservative 15 goals this year (only went 3 other times below 15 goals as 2/28 at 20, 6/54 at 22 and 9/48 at 27), we're tied 11th overall and 8th among PO teams.

Even if we go MTL years, Weber has 23 goals in 104 games, averaging 18 goals or so a year. That would put us at the same level as the projection.

I knew we had to be close to last in D scoring last year ..

Problem with Montreal D is it's built on 1 GUY ...Weber goes down it is screwed.....other teams can manage...and help pick up the goal scoring slack..Montreal no way...

........much like when Price goes down,it's game over for the season...hence why Niemi is here now he atleast gives you a battlers chance to get in via wildcard ....

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
i would be surprised if they amount anything more then ECHLer or AHLer

but who knows
I don't know about you but I LOOOVE surprises!!!

This is a Laval move with possible upside. All we have to remember is we now have Bouchard in Laval, he gives us our best opportunity to develop future NHLers.....I say we let this one play itself out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nothing against you WS, but It's so great when it has come down to us hoping that our signings help the AHL team...

I support making moves to shore up our AHL team. Creating a winning culture with our Farm team is important for many reasons. We get to see how our prospects develop and perform in the playoffs. 1 playoffs in 6 years is not acceptable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So what can these two make overseas vs the AHL salary they just got? I wonder, do they bolt back overseas if they can't make our NHL roster? Or are they willing to play AHL when they don't make our NHL team?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
They also only have 50 contracts that they are allowed to sign.
True, but this team is desperately low on prospects. There’s probably a good portion of them who won’t be signed and they obviously identified that they need defence in Laval. I’m not sure who’s set to graduate from junior, but I’d speculate that they have 4 openings in Laval alone, especially with Juulsen graduating.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So what can these two make overseas vs the AHL salary they just got? I wonder, do they bolt back overseas if they can't make our NHL roster? Or are they willing to play AHL when they don't make our NHL team?

much more, in the AHL they get 70K. I know the Czech league isn't a high paying one. Now the Habs could loan them along with Vejdemo, but would be surprised if they had 3 contracts on loan. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad