Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 2 Czech defensemen, David Sklenicka and Michal Moravcik

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Low risk signings for a position that clearly needs bolstering. Didn't even use up any 2018 draft picks.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Arpon Basu in his article on The Athletic spoke about how Lapointe's stock has risen and has in a way replace Dudley as Bergevin's right hand man, as signing these two players were a result of Lapointe's initiative.

He says that the Habs' scout in Czech Republic noticed them and Lapointe went to see more of them at the World Championships. He was there along with Vincen Riendeau and the Finnish scout. Seems they liked what they saw. And from there, Lapointe and Mellanby did their due dilligence by speaking with Spacek.

At first, Habs wanted to know which of the two they should sign, hence why they approached Spacek. But they ended up liking them enough to sign both. About ten teams were interested in Sklenicka, and most teams offered contracts to one or the other, but the Canadiens were the only team that offered them both a contract, which is why they signed with them. They're good friends and being able to take this journey together surely made it easier for them to accept Habs' offer.

I like that Habs were the only team to think about signing both. We usually say that we want them to take that extra step to ensure they sign someone (or trade for someone). They did it in this case.

Spacek said that Moravcik, who is 6'4" and 212 lbs, is a real good skater for a guy his size and manages the puck very well. As for Sklenicka, who is smaller at 5'11", actually plays the harder game and can look for the big hit every now and then.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It'll be up to them if they want to play in the A, or not.

It's like Jerabek, there is a deadline sometime in the middle of the season where the players have to decide if they stay or go. Jerabek opted to stay and once the deadline passes, that clause is not longer in effect. They're here to stay.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

So Jerabek is the best puck mover out of the three and the more cerebral of the three, but he's the guy that the Habs didn't find good enough to afford him playing time.

If these other two Ds are inferior to Jerabek, what are the odds they'll get a better shot at an NHL job than Jerabek did? Unless the whole idea is to stock up the AHL team and and these guys are not counted upon for much more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jerabek is 27 yo
Those guys are 21 yo and 23 yo.

They could very well end up better than Jerabek if they continue developping

Good point about the age difference. However, if Spacek is to be believed, Jerabek has the higher ceiling.

We'll see what Bouchard will do with them.

Reactions: jaffy27

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
But does he have to?

If he's somehow one of our best 7 D, he can stay, but I don't think that would be a good sign for us. :laugh:

So Jerabek is the best puck mover out of the three and the more cerebral of the three, but he's the guy that the Habs didn't find good enough to afford him playing time.

If these other two Ds are inferior to Jerabek, what are the odds they'll get a better shot at an NHL job than Jerabek did? Unless the whole idea is to stock up the AHL team and and these guys are not counted upon for much more.

1. They are not counted on to make the team out of camp IMO.

2. How do you equate your first sentence and your second? You need more than just PMD in your lineup. We need an upgrade on guys like Alzner, Schlemko, Benn and those guys could eventually provide it. Spacek also said that both have a good first pass which is a dire need due to having a bunch of D that don't even know that such a thing exist.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Jerabek is also a few years older, he didn't significantly improve until he was 23.

The clown we had as defensive coach the last few years is gone, it won't be hard to find a better D coach who will help younger guys improve instead of relying on plugs who can't skate or make a pass like Benn/Alzner.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he's somehow one of our best 7 D, he can stay, but I don't think that would be a good sign for us. :laugh:

1. They are not counted on to make the team out of camp IMO.

2. How do you equate your first sentence and your second? You need more than just PMD in your lineup. We need an upgrade on guys like Alzner, Schlemko, Benn and those guys could eventually provide it. Spacek also said that both have a good first pass which is a dire need due to having a bunch of D that don't even know that such a thing exist.

My comment was on a long term basis. Evidently, I am well aware that they are not expected to make the NHL team at this stage, they are projects.

Now, it doesn't take away from the fact that Spacek knows these players better than anyone within the Habs's org. If Spacek confirms that Jerabek has the higher ceiling between the three, then it's pretty clear that he's observed them long enough to be able to credibly emit that opinion.

I'm more positive in their outlook in terms of how Bouchard can help their development. Bouchard can't help their ceiling, unfortunately, but he can certainly help them to be the best they can be. And we can't ask any more than that of him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

well most undrafted FA's don't pan out in the NHL, but we'll just have to see how much they progress or not. We don't even know for sure where they will play since they don't have to go to the AHL if they don't want to.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I was looking at capfriendly to see how much CapSpace we still have and then I noticed those two guys.

Who needs UFAs when you have two unknown Czech dmen coming in

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I would welcome Spacek to the Habs as defensive coach. Loved his personality.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Good point about the age difference. However, if Spacek is to be believed, Jerabek has the higher ceiling.

We'll see what Bouchard will do with them.

According to that tweet, spacek does not specifically say that jerabek has the higher ceiling.

He's basically calling jerabek the best puck mover and most cerebral out of the lot.

He's also stating the other two guys are better skaters.

He doesn't talk about potential or ceiling.

My impression based on spacek's comments is that you got a quality prospect if you combine their overall attributes into one player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad