Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 2 Czech defensemen, David Sklenicka and Michal Moravcik

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Quick look at their stats don't see anything to get excited about but have never heard of either player before - guess it's all part of turning stones...

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I don't really know enough about them to comment. Moravcik caught my eye at the Worlds, he played a very solid defense and showed some nice offence too. Sklenicka, I do not know.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Per their age, it would be a 3 year ELC for Sklenicka and 2 years for Moravcik.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Surprised TSN hasn’t done all week analysis about how the Canadiens have found the next big discoveries on D that will redefine playing defence in the NHL and how incredibly schrewed they are for having signed both players at the same time while the rest of the NHL was sitting on their hands and the genius of Bergevin and Timmins for pulling off this coup!!

Oh wait, this isn’t the Maple Leafs...
I don't know, man. Galipeau is a 21 year old playing against young teenagers. What I saw from him at the Memorial was at best a ceiling as a decent AHLer.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hey no issue with trying. If you pick up a FA that cost you only an ELC contract then that's great if he turns into even just a bottom NHL guy. Just need to watch the contracts and for sure, it's good to have a few gambles on local guys.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Wait and see mode, I have absolutely no idea who they are.

Let's hope that for once, a Euro UFA signing works out (well, besides Radulov, but that was a given)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Wait and see mode, I have absolutely no idea who they are.

Let's hope that for once, a Euro UFA signing works out (well, besides Radulov, but that was a given)

The only ones who might are any hab- Czech fans.

Then again if people watch prospects as much as they say they do, they would watch the Czech league and would have seen these players.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Moravcik I think is a good signing as he has a lot of good tools but is still a ways off from the NHL. I did like what I saw during the WC though. Sklenicka I don't know anything about.

Statistically, neither guy I'm expecting much offense from. However, on the plus side, both shoot left and fill organizational needs. ELCs are fine and low risk. It's not like we have a bus full of prospects anyhow that we need to juggle contract space for this summer. That said, temper expectations... neither guy was drafted previously.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Best case scenario ? Eventually, yes.

Nothing wrong with signing kids who, from some comments (well, for Moravcik) did well at the WC.

What's that quote? Expect the worst and hope for the best? I dunno, something like that.

Honestly, these guys will probably never make it, but our current LHD depth right now in Laval is Taormina, Parisi, Bourque and Valiev who is likely gone this summer anyways. Our LHD prospects are still another year or two from the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Signing two guys who are probably bound for Laval leaves little to no room for Galipeau

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Moravcik I think is a good signing as he has a lot of good tools but is still a ways off from the NHL. I did like what I saw during the WC though. Sklenicka I don't know anything about.

Statistically, neither guy I'm expecting much offense from. However, on the plus side, both shoot left and fill organizational needs. ELCs are fine and low risk. It's not like we have a bus full of prospects anyhow that we need to juggle contract space for this summer. That said, temper expectations... neither guy was drafted previously.
The best European D’s To come over in recent memory are Zaitsev and Kempny. Both are pretty decent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad