Prospect Info: Habs Rookie Camp (September 15-21) Roster & Games in OP

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013

Mika Cyr, who played the last 4 years for the Moncton Wildcats of the Q has been invited to the Rookie Camp.

He plays center and wing. He is 22 years old. 5'9" and 176 lbs according to Elite Prospects.

He was close to a point-per-game player in the Q. 186 pts (96G, 90A) in 210 GP.

a hometown boy, not expecting much but nice to see a local kid invited

Reactions: Adam Michaels

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I am curious if the 3R coaching staff will be involved with the rookie and/or Laval camps. I remember at least one year, when we had an ECHL team that the coach was part of the staff for the camp. Considering a few of the invitees might be candidates for 3R, as well as the AHL signees, would make sense for them to be there as well.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I am curious if the 3R coaching staff will be involved with the rookie and/or Laval camps. I remember at least one year, when we had an ECHL team that the coach was part of the staff for the camp. Considering a few of the invitees might be candidates for 3R, as well as the AHL signees, would make sense for them to be there as well.
They've had them around in the past, it would make sense to bring them in this year since we've got an affiliated team again.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree. Although they never participate at rookie camp, only development camps. But this year, there wasn't one, so we missed out on all the NCAA and Euro guys.

At least we'll have Norlinder from the Euro guys to watch.

Joe Stejskal was the last NCAAer to attend the rookie camp off the top of my head. That's because the ivy leagues start later in the season as they play less games and some of the schools don't start the fall semester until a few weeks after most colleges.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Joe Stejskal was the last NCAAer to attend the rookie camp off the top of my head. That's because the ivy leagues start later in the season as they play less games and some of the schools don't start the fall semester until a few weeks after most colleges.
I think he had to pay for everything himself as well ( and prove he did ) , there was some extra work involved.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
We have a lot of good prospects these days. Guhle and Norlinder are the ones I will have my eye on. The rest are a few years away for sure. Guhle impressed me in the WJC and in the few Laval games he played. Hope all the injuries after that has not slowed his development. I have high expectations for him. Norlinder for me is more of a mystery and can't wait to get a good look at him.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
The defense looks quite good in this camp. Guhle and Norlinder and Fairbrother are probably the 3 best players in camp and all on defense. It makes sense with the amount of picks we spent on defense in the last few years.

Ylonen, Mysak and Kidney are interesting enough too.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
I'm wondering if there will be public attendance permitted throughout the camp and if so, whether Whitesnake or any other poster will be kind enough to share their impressions

Locks

May 28, 2005
I'm wondering if there will be public attendance permitted throughout the camp and if so, whether Whitesnake or any other poster will be kind enough to share their impressions

Apparently not and possibly for public health reasons. But I wonder if RDS will webcast the games like they did in previous years.

Reactions: Holystik

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
The problem with this, is that as you say the US system below the USHL is also getting stronger and stronger, and they are less dependent on Canadian kids for the NCAA than a few years ago. My son played in the same league with Harris, on his team there were only 2 Canadians one year, and 3 the next.

The two school leagues in Quebec starting next year are merging which is a good thing, the problem is that after grade 11, there is no alternative for these kids except either going to a US prep school if they can get in, or going back to teams under the auspices of hockey Quebec or the QMJHL. There is no possibility to continue, as the CEGEP league has too few teams and is pretty bad. What is needed is the equivalent of the USHL without Hockey Quebec to ruin it with their politics and then to have the CIS teams become like NCAA teams, and have the same rules apply to players selected from them. Their focus needs to be changed from being the home of players who couldn't make it as pros, to being the next level after the USHL level teams. Not easy to change that so the CHL route will be the one selected by the majority of these players.

There's a lot of good prep schools in Canada that are competitive in Hockey. Stanstead being one here in Quebec, just 90 minutes from Montreal.

For those of you thinking about NCAA, talk to the CDN University in your area becuase not many will transfer any credits from a US University. So unless you plan on doing the entire program, your kid will have to start over if he decides to leave after a year or 2 and play CIS. At least that is how it is here with McGill and Concordia.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Isiah Campbell has been invited to the Habs' camp. He wasn't reported on as an invite already in this thread. Forgive me if it was because I don't remember.

20 years old
6'4" and 216 lbs
Plays Center & Left Wing

Has played 4 seasons in the Q split between Saint John, Cape Breton, Drummondville, and last year was traded to Shawinigan.

His best season 2019-20, where he had 60 pts (26G, 34A) in 63 GP with Drummondville.

Last sesaon, split between Drummondville and Shawinigan, he had 17 pts (9G, 8A) in 29 GP.
Can he skate?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
The defense looks quite good in this camp. Guhle and Norlinder and Fairbrother are probably the 3 best players in camp and all on defense. It makes sense with the amount of picks we spent on defense in the last few years.

Ylonen, Mysak and Kidney are interesting enough too.
Those are the top 3 D and forwards I will be following this camp too ahahaha

Very excited about Fairbrother

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad