Prospect Info: Habs Rookie Camp (September 15-21) Roster & Games in OP

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I have a few questions that I guess fits into this thread.

In the past, NCAA players unsigned were able to keep their eligibility as long as they paid their own way for development camp, training etc...

With the new rules allowing for NCAA athletes to be signed to personal endorsement deals, even by pro teams like the Florida Panthers did with the Miami QB, can an NHL team offer an endorsement deal to unsigned prospects they hold the NHL rights to?

As an example, can Montreal sign Sean Farrell to an endorsement deal that would allow him to pay for his trips to development camp, specialized coaches for things like skating, conditioning, nutritionists etc... while still maintaining his NCAA eligibility?

Also , why do hockey players maintain eligibility once drafted, and basketball and football players lose theirs?

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018

In the past, NCAA players unsigned were able to keep their eligibility as long as they paid their own way for development camp, training etc...

With the new rules allowing for NCAA athletes to be signed to personal endorsement deals, even by pro teams like the Florida Panthers did with the Miami QB, can an NHL team offer an endorsement deal to unsigned prospects they hold the NHL rights to?

As an example, can Montreal sign Sean Farrell to an endorsement deal that would allow him to pay for his trips to development camp, specialized coaches for things like skating, conditioning, nutritionists etc... while still maintaining his NCAA eligibility?

Also , why do hockey players maintain eligibility once drafted, and basketball and football players lose theirs?
It depends on a bunch of stuff, like is the kid American or no (laws are different for immigrants), also the law depends on states, so some players from X state can get an endorsement deal, but players from Y state can't. I don't have any source, just going off what I heard lol

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

ncaa rules are so stupid, there is a really good movie Without Limits (1998) about Steve Prefontaine and how he tried to take on the NCAA for some shady stuff they were doing by making money off them.

I don't know the new rule so I would have to look into it to say but would be surprised if it's something the Habs did.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Camp invite Charles-Antoine Pilote played last night in a preseason game. Moncton lost 7-4 to Halifax.

But Pilote finished the game with 3 pts (2G, 1A).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There are two rookie tournaments announced in other places in the league. Arizona the other day confirmed of a tournament that will include Arizona, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Colorado, and Vegas.

And a few moments ago, Buffalo announced one that will be between the Sabres, Bruins, and Devils.

And Detroit announced a few weeks ago that they will have the Travers City Prospect Tournament that will have the Wings, Jackets, Stars, Blues, and Leafs.

In Habs' case, Bruce Garrioch reported last week that the Habs and Sens prospects will face each other in a home-and-away series. It doesn't look like any other team will be involved.

The last two Rookie Showcases had the Jets involved, as well. I don't know if they will be there this year. It might only be Habs and Sens this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Roster for Rookie Camp

E-7t_kfWYBs0NOY

E-7t_klWEAQuaqH

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs draft picks taking part at rookie camp:

- 2018 -
Jesse Ylonen (2nd Round - 35th)
Cam Hillis (3rd Round - 66th)

- 2019 -
Mattias Norlinder (3rd Round - 64th)
Gianni Fairbrother (3rd Round - 77th)
Rafaël Harvey-Pinard (7th Round - 201st)

- 2020 -
Kaiden Guhle (1st Round - 16th)
Jan Mysak (2nd Round - 48th)

- 2021 -
Riley Kidney (2nd Round - 63rd)
William Trudeau (4th Round - 113)
Daniil Sobolev (5th Round - 142nd)
Joshua Roya (5th Round - 150th)
Xavier Simoneau (6th Round - 191st)
Joe Vrbetic (7th Round - 214th)

I'm curious why Khisamutdinov isn't listed.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Guhle, Mysak, Hillis and Roy are the players i'm most interested in seeing where they sit today...

Guhle, hopefully, will be dominant and look out of place by how much he dominates play in the dzone.

Mysak & Hillis are two guys with the m.o of having put in serious offseason work... will be interested to see if either show up to camp having clearly made a big jump.

Roy might be our biggest wild card in the prospect pool... the skill profile as he entered juniors was off the charts, he stumbled, but those early indications that he's matured leave at least some hope that he caught the bad habits early enough to perhaps get back on the elite prospect pathway.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Guhle, Mysak, Hillis and Roy are the players i'm most interested in seeing where they sit today...

Guhle, hopefully, will be dominant and look out of place by how much he dominates play in the dzone.

Mysak & Hillis are two guys with the m.o of having put in serious offseason work... will be interested to see if either show up to camp having clearly made a big jump.

Roy might be our biggest wild card in the prospect pool... the skill profile as he entered juniors was off the charts, he stumbled, but those early indications that he's matured leave at least some hope that he caught the bad habits early enough to perhaps get back on the elite prospect pathway.

I'm looking forward to seeing Riley Kidney, too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It always feels a bit empty without all the NCAA guys and some of the euro league guys but what are you gonna do I guess.

I agree. Although they never participate at rookie camp, only development camps. But this year, there wasn't one, so we missed out on all the NCAA and Euro guys.

At least we'll have Norlinder from the Euro guys to watch.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I agree. Although they never participate at rookie camp, only development camps. But this year, there wasn't one, so we missed out on all the NCAA and Euro guys.

At least we'll have Norlinder from the Euro guys to watch.
Norlinder and Guhle are there at least. Would have been fun to compare them with guys like Harris and Struble though. Would have really liked to see Farrell and Tuch in action too. No Mailloux on top of that, for obvious reasons. Oh well!

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Isiah Campbell has been invited to the Habs' camp. He wasn't reported on as an invite already in this thread. Forgive me if it was because I don't remember.

20 years old
6'4" and 216 lbs
Plays Center & Left Wing

Has played 4 seasons in the Q split between Saint John, Cape Breton, Drummondville, and last year was traded to Shawinigan.

His best season 2019-20, where he had 60 pts (26G, 34A) in 63 GP with Drummondville.

Last sesaon, split between Drummondville and Shawinigan, he had 17 pts (9G, 8A) in 29 GP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad