Habs player that frustrated you the most?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Some names I haven't seen yet :

Never liked Théodore as an individual, although it was hard not to like him during his Hart season.

Kaberle as a Habs.

Radek Bonk

Ben Scrivens

Benoît Pouliot

Gilbert Dionne

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Doug Wickenheiser.

Rick Green used to drive me absolutely nuts. The fact that we gave up Langway for him didn’t help either.

Turner Stevenson. He couldn’t play. He couldn’t fight that well. Just extremely mediocre.

JJ Daigneault. Candy assed when he played and an arrogant SoB for no reason. Devoid of brains and talent.

Recently it’s Desharnais.

Reactions: Fixxer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price. Crazy good stats but a tenancy of allowing soft goals. Waite seem to help when he was hired but the soft goals seem to creep back into his game starting in the Rangers series in the playoffs. And that season when Price got hurt... that stung as I think we could of reached the Stanley cup finals. Not his fault but it was annoying

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Alex Kovalev.
The guy had game breaking skill, the physical attributes to be a force night in and night out and simply wasn't.
Inconsistency, is a big pet peeve of mine.

Reactions: DavePeak and Fixxer

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gomez.

Also someone said Bourque and i agree

Never really had a problem with DD or Brisebois.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Galchenyuk, Kostistyn, Pouliot, Kovalev, I struggle a lot with inconsistent players, or at least the ones who give you the impression that they just don't care

Reactions: DavePeak

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Ironically, I really liked Samsonov. I genuinely think the guy could have worked out for us had it not been of Carbonneau's idiocy. He never wanted to give Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev a shot together and I think this line could have been dominant. Instead, he would just bench Samsonov over and over again and use him as a scapegoat for the team's MANY shortcomings.

He bounced back right after in Carolina. I liked his style and was a fan of him since his Bruins days. I was sad that it didn't work out in the end. I think had this roster not been that soft back then he could have found his place on a line with a Gallagher kind of player.

I mean, in the end... He had 53 pounts in 74 games the season before we signed him. Then he struggled with 26 in 63. Got traded to the Hawks where he failed to gain his confidence back... and then put up 80 points in his next 119 games for Carolina, a 55 points pace.

When you see an anomaly like this in the production curve of a player, it's more likely than not an environemental issue... In that case, Carbonneau being Carbonneau and Denis Savard not being coach material.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Max, I love that he can score, but his hands of stone and lack of implication in the play piss me off sometimes.

Reactions: Fixxer

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Probably Nokelainen.

Came here as the faceoffs super hero and left as a guy who really had no business playing in the NHL and probably not even the AHL. I remember when we got him it was almost like we had just acquired Patrice Bergeron without offense. Man it could not have been further from the truth.

I didnt even remember we acquired Nokelainen

Reactions: MasterD and ArtPeur

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That play and what followed is seared in my mind as it encapsulated much of what was/ is wrong with this organization.

PK did not do anything reckless. He did try to create a play to score a goal. He tries to win games.

On the counterattack the AVs were contained and all were covered up until Patches eased off and let his man break to the net, and goal scored.

This goal was on Patches.

Down a goal, MT then benches Patches and PK, the 2 guys on the team most able to generate a goal for the team. LOL. You show em bird brain.

Post game MT says nothing about Patches, but opens up on PK and the evils of his " individualistic " play.

PK went against the game plan, which is to "PLAY NOT TO LOSE" and hope we catch a chance to score.

This organization has a rich history of tremendously skilled and creative talent and for decades now we are led by those who only know Trench warfare.

I say this organization dishonours the Jersey in its dazzling red, white and blue. Instead it must wear grey to resemble the style of play.

That's really not a nice thing to say regarding birds.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
There are a few that comes to mind.

Pouliot always looked like the real deal with some moves he did :eek: ... but in the end, he was very inconsistent and taking bad "revenge/retribution" penalties.
Bonk had lost a step maybe, after the 05-06 lockout, speed was the name of the game.
Yeah, Samsonov, had broken his wrist real bad in Boston (while playing for them)... never got as good as he once was...

Current : If Lekhonen can start producing early, it'll be nice. Still, if he is to be a slow starter who produces late in the season (as the 2 last years) + playoffs (a few goals against the Rangers in '16), I'll take it. But early during the his first 2 seasons ... disappointing. Volume shooter though. I could see him score more if Pacioretty was gone, would replace him with the lots of shooting at the net.
Drouin... I have seen often guys with LOTS of talent but over average production only. I think Galchenyuk was about a similar mold, except less skating and better shooting.
About PK... I changed my mind about a thing. When he got injured, I thought he should have already been taking out of the lineup with all the mistakes he did, trying to do too much. Now, if I put myself in his "skates".. I think like "I got to do something otherwise we'l lose again"... so doing too much he tried.

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Desharnais - him being on the ice in big situations drove me crazy. Although not his fault but our Dumb **** coaching staff and management that gave him all that ice time.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Two types of frustrated
1 (should've given you more) and 2 (how are they on the ice?).
Category 1: benoît pouliot
Category 2: Patrick traverse

Reactions: ArtPeur

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Pacioretty......hands down

Edit:didn’t know this was habs of all time......add Beaulieu-Bournival-Parenteau-Daigneault ........Toutes des noms Franco lol

Last edited:

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
I stumbled upon HFBoards back in 2003 because I was searching for information about a kid we just drafted named Andrei Kostitsyn. At the time, I wasn't very knowledgeable about our draft history (beyond 1st rounds picks). This community, along with hockeysfuture.com, was very helpful for gaining useful information about prospects. For example, I had heard that Andrei dominated a game at the U20 tournament and I asked for more details from a specific poster (QuiGonDave ??) ... anyhow, this member lived in England and he mails me a DVD of the full game I was inquiring about about.

I spent a lot of time following the progression of Andrei Kostitsyn. Naturally, it frustrated me greatly that he didn't end up reaching his full potential. This guy could have been elite dominant.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Jan Bulis : seeing him miss all those grade a scoring chances drove me crazy.

Joe Juneau : I couldn't stand watching him slap shot the puck on the goalie as soon as he crossed the blue line.

George Laraque : because of all this
Laracque grated on me. He was supposed to be this nuclear deterrent yet other teams still took liberties with our skill players because they knew that Georges was all bark and no bite. He would only fight if you accepted his invitation so opponents just refused to take the bait, like what happened with Lucic in that infamous game back in November 2008 when the fans were looking for Laracque to take his head off. Laracque had this quaint notion that NHL enforcers should follow the Marquess of Queensberry rules when what he should have been doing is punching opponents in the face until he provoked a reaction from them. Obviously if you give someone the option of not dropping the gloves they're not going to drop them. You have to force them to fight you. Georges never did and any time he wasn't caving somebody's face in he was useless.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
There are many.

Alex Kovalev would be the first. I was ecstatic when the Habs landed him, giving up very little in return. He became my second best Habs player after Mark Recchi at the time but his inconsistency was something else.

Another player would be Scott Gomez, guy was one of the best paid players in the league and couldn't score for 40 games if I remember correctly. Also, what the Habs gave up to get Gomez was like punishment for giving up so little for Kovalev.

The other players would be the Kostityn brothers and Michael Grabovski. Tremendous talent but no heart. Also, Steve Begin and his stupid penalties.

Georges Laraque is another. Big salary but wouldn't drop them no more in Montreal. Rene Bourque, another inconsistent player. Mike Cammalleri with his stupid remarks to the press that drove him out of town.

PK Subban and his poor defensive plays. Although, he would often repair his mistakes by scoring goals. Mark Streit and his poor defensive plays. Often, used as a forward.

Many french players come to mind starting with David Desharnais. Although, I can't blame him. We can blame the coach who played Desharnais instead of Galchenyuk. Also, the duo of Francis Boullion and Mathieu Dandenault was quite frustrating to watch. Coach favorites once again. More recently, Jonathan Drouin.

David Aebischer who gave would give a light show almost every time as well as other players like Sergei Samsonov, Jaroslav Spacek and Tomas Kaberle. Also, Jan Bulis and his many missed opportunities.

Jose Theodore who had a breakdown after his best season and Carey Price who seems to be inconsistent.

Last edited:

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Marc Andre Bergeron was pretty frustrating, one of the best slap shots I've ever seen but couldn't play defense.

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
I would officially like to change my answer to Patches....

Reason: early day patches would use his size and speed to drive to the net ( much like E.Cole did) and now... he doesn't use his size what so ever to drive the play towards the net.... that really frustrates me. Hes a big boy and should use it more.

Pleks and his slapshot/wrist shot into the crest of the goalie is a close second.

Man, for a second I thought I had post something but didn't remember lol! I would add to Pleks the fact that everytime there was a 2vs1 while he gets the puck.. he's gonna shot 95% of the time... and obviously like you said, in the crest lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Tank Toad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad