Proposal: Habs offer sheet Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those of you wondering how the 21/22 season would look for the Habs if we sign Mantha for $8.75M (2- 1sts, 1- 2nd, 1-3rd as compensation).

- Domi traded for the 8th Pick (Quinn or Holtz)
- Tatar traded for futures or we let him walk.
- Byron and Kulak offloaded.
- Alzner bought out
- Don't like Teasdale and Ylonen on the roster? Sure... replace them with $1M depth contracts. No big deal
- Also forgot about Poehling. Don't think he burns us with break out years. Seems like a 25-30 prime year type

Still $2.5M in cap space with a $82M cap. In the following season, that's where the cap will grow substantially (no more Covid-19 issues with fans in the seats like normal and also extra revenue from Seattle and New US TV deal). All we need to do is just sign guys like Lehkonen and Armia to short term deals. And Alzner's buyout is much less too. Chiarot can be let go if Romanov and Norlinder are who we expected them to be. This is workable for sure

ZuDqfL5.png

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
While I agree with this, if Danault or his agent delude themselves into thinking he's worth similar money to Mantha, just cut him loose. :laugh:

Agreed......but when you see others around you getting overpaid and you’re just as good/valuable you want the same love......it has the potential to upset the locker room and piss off some longer term Habs players if they get nickel & dime on their deals while some guy from another team who is a non superstar gets significantly more money & reward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed......but when you see others around you getting overpaid and you’re just as good/valuable you want the same love......it has the potential to upset the locker room and piss off some longer term Habs players if they get nickel & dime on their deals while some guy from another team who is a non superstar gets significantly more money & reward.

Or guys like Danault, Gallagher, and Petry would love to have a talent like Mantha inserted for $8.7M and their team is better with deeper playoff runs. If one of those guys ask for too much, you trade them or let them walk. Your narrative is not a massive problem.

Look at post 151 and how the Habs season would look in 21/22 (potentially)

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Take the 4 1sts you mean. Compensation is based on the lesser of the term of the contract or 5 years. In this case, the compensation AAV is 11.9 mil ($8.5 mil*7/5).

Also, an offer sheet is binding. So, no trade as soon as it's signed.
So it would have to be 5 years at 8.5 for compensation to be a first second and third ?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
This idea for mantha is crazy...you give players like Laine that type of money not mantha a guy that hadn't even hit 50 points....

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This idea for mantha is crazy...you give players like Laine that type of money not mantha a guy that hadn't even hit 50 points....
dont look at the total points for a season. look at the context on why he hasnt got the 50 points in a season. injuries, team, linemates etc..

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Or guys like Danault, Gallagher, and Petry would love to have a talent like Mantha inserted for $8.7M and their team is better with deeper playoff runs. If one of those guys ask for too much, you trade them or let them walk. Your narrative is not a massive problem.

Look at post 151 and how the Habs season would look in 21/22 (potentially)

I seen the post, cap total isn’t even a question for me next year. I’m talking long term and within the locker room. We see fans thinking players will all take home town discounts.....in reality virtually they never happen......so the idea guys will be one big happy family when you significantly over pay one non star but expect all your long term serving loyal Habs players to take discounts or less.......just isn’t realistic.

Go ahead spent your fictional cap on a fan forum any way you want......but in reality the Habs would never do this.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
team was legit pissed when Subban signed that $9M deal and he had actually won an award. Mantha would be a disaster on the Habs if that happened

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
You guys are comical. If someone posted a $6.5M offer sheet you would make fun of them for it being too low. :laugh:

As a Red Wings Fan.. I must say " Well Done". to TooLegitToQuit.
This is the kind of Offer sheet that would choke us. Even with all our cap space. I don't think we would match a 9-9.5M offer sheet on Mantha.

We absolutely do not want Mantha or Bertuzzi to be able to be offer sheeted. So we better sign them before a team has a chance to do this.

Basically If you want Mantha at that price.. You would ruin our entire salary structure. All of a sudden we would have to pay all our top 6 players the way Toronto and Edmonton has... and all our top guys are not even that good. They are 1st/2nd line tweeners at best, getting more playing time than they should. We should be trying to sign all our guys for 6M or less. I really hope Yzerman does NOT go much higher than that.

I would think your 9-9.5M would be better spent on Hall, that way there is no compensation picks given, and you get a superior player to Mantha. But If MB did this. I think it would work. If I was Yzerman, I would let Mantha walk for that price tag (150% of what he is worth).

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
I didn't read all the 6 pages (so sorry if someone already posted it) but instead of offersheet him and pay him 9.5, let's just offer 2 x firsts and a second to the Wings, they will probably accept. Also, I don't think Jack Quinn and Caufield are NHL ready and finally the Sabres will NEVER trade their 8th for Max Domi.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Wings have tons of cap space and that's not a problem. Habs have about $10M in cap space if we trade Domi for futures (Sabres for the 8th pick is one example).

Does Yzerman try to low ball his top talent like he did in Tampa? Taxes not the same in Detroit. If Mantha is not happy with the offer from Yzerman, all his agent has to do is call Bergevin.

Offer 1
- 5 years at $9.5M
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Offer 2:
- 2 years at $9M. I believe he has 2 RFA years left and he gets to UFA quicker. If the Wings match, Habs can circle back when Mantha becomes UFA in 2 years.
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Yzerman's perspective... Trying to rebuild and likely wants Mantha for 7 or 8 years overlapping his rebuild and contention start point. But if Mantha is signed for 2 or 5 years does he consider the futures?
Kyle Dubas - that you ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I seen the post, cap total isn’t even a question for me next year. I’m talking long term and within the locker room. We see fans thinking players will all take home town discounts.....in reality virtually they never happen......so the idea guys will be one big happy family when you significantly over pay one non star but expect all your long term serving loyal Habs players to take discounts or less.......just isn’t realistic.

Go ahead spent your fictional cap on a fan forum any way you want......but in reality the Habs would never do this.

Not worried about it. There are tons of players overpaid by $1M - $2M range and it's about circumstance. If Gallagher, Danault, and Petry want top dollar, produce. Let me ask you this... Why did Muzzin take less than $6M when Marner is overpaid?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Not worried about it. There are tons of players overpaid by $1M - $2M range and it's about circumstance. If Gallagher, Danault, and Petry want top dollar, produce. Let me ask you this... Why did Muzzin take less than $6M when Marner is overpaid?

You think Muzzin could of gotten significantly more then 6m? Why do you think Marner (an assist machine but is A poor goal scorer and we all know goal scorers get paid more) got 11m to begin with?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a Red Wings Fan.. I must say " Well Done". to TooLegitToQuit.
This is the kind of Offer sheet that would choke us. Even with all our cap space. I don't think we would match a 9-9.5M offer sheet on Mantha.

We absolutely do not want Mantha or Bertuzzi to be able to be offer sheeted. So we better sign them before a team has a chance to do this.

Basically If you want Mantha at that price.. You would ruin our entire salary structure. All of a sudden we would have to pay all our top 6 players the way Toronto and Edmonton has... and all our top guys are not even that good. They are 1st/2nd line tweeners at best, getting more playing time than they should. We should be trying to sign all our guys for 6M or less. I really hope Yzerman does NOT go much higher than that.

I would think your 9-9.5M would be better spent on Hall, that way there is no compensation picks given, and you get a superior player to Mantha. But If MB did this. I think it would work. If I was Yzerman, I would let Mantha walk for that price tag (150% of what he is worth).

I think your GM would like to sign Mantha for a team friendly deal but who knows what term Mantha is after. I said $9.5M but it could be $8.75M which is still the same compensation. I think Yzerman does consider the 2 Firsts, 1 Second, and 1 Third. This might fit your rebuild strategy more cause by the time you become contenders... you are looking at 5 years right? Mantha will be 30+ then.

Anyways.. Good luck with Mantha. I would not like the aggressive offer sheet if I was a Wings fan but this is within the rules. What is a fair deal for Mantha over 5 years? Probably $7M. Habs going to $9M ish is overpaying him by $2M ish. Aggressive but it's the right time for the Habs to make that move if the Wings get into contract trouble with Mantha. Not all players search for offer sheets. With Aho, I believe they were trying to low ball him and his agent then called Bergevin.

If you offer Mantha $7M for 5 years... I think he signs that. If you low ball him at $6M or under... he might consider other options. If you want 7 or 8 years, he will ask for more IMO. Kind of how I see it

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Yes. CapFriendly has the max number at $8.726 mil. 5 years or under and the compensation is a 1+2+3.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Good. I would offer him 8 - 8.5 for 5 years. Yzerman can have more 2021 picks if he wants. I would not go to the next level. Not giving up an unprotected 2022 first. Potential superstars in that draft and anything can happen in a given year. SJ didn't expect the pick they gave up for Kane to be a potential 1st overall pick.
And buying a house means nothing. If he is offered millions from another team than Yzerman is willing to offer he will take it. His agent wold be stupid if he lets him sign a deal before seeing if there are any offer sheets.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
No, not Dubas. At least we signed someone over their worth but a team need ;)
While what you say is true - the thought of signing a guy with both skill, and bad luck (meaning his history of injuries) for the sum being discussed could really backfire for both Bergevin, and the Habs as a whole.

This would be a “swing for the fence” move if there ever was one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think Muzzin could of gotten significantly more then 6m? Why do you think Marner (an assist machine but is A poor goal scorer and we all know goal scorers get paid more) got 11m to begin with?

Yes, I do think Muzzin is worth more than $6M. Not substantially more but according to your narrative, he should have ask for more cause Marner and other guys are overpaid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While what you say is true - the thought of signing a guy with both skill, and bad luck (meaning his history of injuries) for the sum being discussed could really backfire for both Bergevin, and the Habs as a whole.

This would be a “swing for the fence” move if there ever was one.

Better than going season after season wasting years of Price and Weber with over $5M of cap space. It's the right time with all the ELC/Bridge deals that are going to come in to play for the Habs youth in the next 5 years.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yes, I do think Muzzin is worth more than $6M. Not substantially more but according to your narrative, he should have ask for more cause Marner and other guys are overpaid.

That’s one person’s opinion he’s hair under paid......personally I think he’s on a fair contract. What about Marner? Guy has a career high of 26 goals and might never break the 30 goal mark.......you don’t think he got more money then he’s worth due to the AM deal?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad