Proposal: Habs offer sheet Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I would love to see Mantha in a Bruins uniform , but really 8.5 mil. Get real the guy cannot complete a season . So I suggest everyone should tone it down a bit..........This happens when they legalize drugs.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Most agree he is not worth that today. And I don't think the Habs care one bit about Mantha being overpaid. I think we care about our unused cap space more. It's been 3 years with more than $5M in cap space now and if we are conservative, it will be 4 straight years.

Not worried about overpaying Mantha about $2M.
and what happens when youre RFA's and UFA's see what Mantha got and decide they want to be overpaid as well?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Mantha isn't getting 8.5 even Yzerman isn't that dumb. Mantha has 2 48 point seasons under his belt possibly a 3rd this year if COVID hadn't ended the season. If Yzerman offered Mantha 8 years $60 million or a $7.5m AAV he'd easily take that deal. Flat cap for possibly 3 more seasons is going to hurt tons of teams.
If Montreal offer sheeted Mantha 8.5 for seven years yzerman has 3 options Match the offer , take the 1st, 2nd , and 3rd as compensation or talk trade

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
and what happens when youre RFA's and UFA's see what Mantha got and decide they want to be overpaid as well?

They got to produce to get a big contract. Simple as that. Habs have flexibility with our cap space and if those young guys produce where we have to pay them, Weber is off the books in 3 more years, Alzner in 2 years, and the cap will be much higher in 3+ years. Guys like Byron and Tatar can be traded or let go

Risky move yes but it's the right time to make that move with all those kids on ELC/Bridge years. The timing is right

Plus the idea is you flip Domi for the 8th pick to the Sabres and draft one of Holtz or Quinn. Another ELC in the next 3-5 years. Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Holtz or Quinn on ELC/Bridge deals over the next 3-5 years. Think about it more

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Montreal offer sheeted Mantha 8.5 for seven years yzerman has 3 options Match the offer , take the 1st, 2nd , and 3rd as compensation or talk trade

I think we would have to go to $8.75M and have the extra 1st in play for Yzerman to consider not matching. It's more than what he would like to pay for Mantha but I think he signs the $8.5M when it's the 16th, 47th, and 78th picks. Another 1st in 2021 (unprotected) makes him think

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At this point sign Hall at 9.5M instead and keep the draft picks?

I rather have Mantha from 25-30 cause I don't the the Alberta boy signs with the Habs. He will use the Habs to get the best deal from some other team though. Picks hurt but it's Mantha and you will have a hard time hitting with those picks to get a Mantha type. If you do, you have to wait. Now is the time for the Habs to make a move like that cause of all the ELC/Bridge deals on our top prospects filtering in. By the time you have to pay them, Weber, Alzner, Byron, and maybe even Tatar and Gallagher are gone.

Flip Domi to the Sabres for the 8th pick. Draft Holtz or Quinn and they get inserted in a year or two. Another ELC/Bridge situation.

I don't see this being a massive issue. Unless you think Mantha is a 50-60 pts and 20-25 goal guy (or worse) with the Habs in his prime?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yzerman would match that just because it's Montreal. For Yzerman to take the picks it would need to include the extra 1st so 2 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks so the offer needs to be in the 7 x $8.75m range give or take.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
You know what, I like this offer. It's crazy enough to work. Now, there is no way Montreal signs him to the 2 year deal and lets him walk in UFA. Giving up 2 1sts should at least buy you some long term stability. Is Mantha worth that amount? No, but he could be. The potential with Mantha is legit, he can create offense with anyone and is also a solid defensive player too. If he stays healthy he is an 80+ point player on Detroit, the worst team in the league. Detroit fans wouldn't sign him to that deal, it's very rich for his services, which is exactly why it might work. The Aho deal needed to be two million dollars more a year in reality.

IMO, Mantha is the perfect player to offer sheet, he's talented enough where it could be worth it, yet unproven enough that his current team might not match. If you can identify a player that will make your team a Stanley Cup favorite if you get him, giving up 2 or more 1st round picks isn't a big deal, they would be de facto 2nd rounders anyway.

That said, I'm reasonably confident we give Mantha his big contract in the next month, but hey, this is the kind of logic fans need to even reasonably speculate on offer sheets.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Agreed and the Habs need a winger with size and can score more. Barzal would be nice but Islanders need him today more than the Wings rebuild years with Mantha. Wings would value those picks.
It doesn’t seem like any one will answer your question about would yzerman match an offer of 8.5 ? Let’s say 8.5 for seven years . Compensation is a 1st,2nd,and 3rd . Does he match it ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yzerman would match that just because it's Montreal. For Yzerman to take the picks it would need to include the extra 1st so 2 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks so the offer needs to be in the 7 x $8.75m range give or take.
Montreal would offer as high as the one first rounder would allow .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Agreed and the Habs need a winger with size and can score more. Barzal would be nice but Islanders need him today more than the Wings rebuild years with Mantha. Wings would value those picks.
Where is the limit that it becomes 2 first rounders , a second and a third ?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Take the 4 1sts you mean. Compensation is based on the lesser of the term of the contract or 5 years. In this case, the compensation AAV is 11.9 mil ($8.5 mil*7/5).

Also, an offer sheet is binding. So, no trade as soon as it's signed.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
They got to produce to get a big contract. Simple as that. Habs have flexibility with our cap space and if those young guys produce where we have to pay them, Weber is off the books in 3 more years, Alzner in 2 years, and the cap will be much higher in 3+ years. Guys like Byron and Tatar can be traded or let go

Risky move yes but it's the right time to make that move with all those kids on ELC/Bridge years. The timing is right

Plus the idea is you flip Domi for the 8th pick to the Sabres and draft one of Holtz or Quinn. Another ELC in the next 3-5 years. Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Holtz or Quinn on ELC/Bridge deals over the next 3-5 years. Think about it more
but wouldnt Mantha have to produce also?i get that he is on a shit team but he paces at 50+ points a season. take in to consideration that detroit is bad but thats a big contract to hand out when your own young guys will need to be signed.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I rather have Mantha from 25-30 cause I don't the the Alberta boy signs with the Habs. He will use the Habs to get the best deal from some other team though. Picks hurt but it's Mantha and you will have a hard time hitting with those picks to get a Mantha type. If you do, you have to wait. Now is the time for the Habs to make a move like that cause of all the ELC/Bridge deals on our top prospects filtering in. By the time you have to pay them, Weber, Alzner, Byron, and maybe even Tatar and Gallagher are gone.

Flip Domi to the Sabres for the 8th pick. Draft Holtz or Quinn and they get inserted in a year or two. Another ELC/Bridge situation.

I don't see this being a massive issue. Unless you think Mantha is a 50-60 pts and 20-25 goal guy (or worse) with the Habs in his prime?

I think I value more Hall + 2x 1st + 2nd + 3rd > Mantha.
I also think that 1-1-2-3 > Mantha @9.5M

I'll never sign mantha to a 9.5M deal.
Thats a biiiiiig f***ing risk and even if you end up with a 80pts winger, thats overpaid anyways. And you just paid 1-1-2-3 for an anchor contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn’t seem like any one will answer your question about would yzerman match an offer of 8.5 ? Let’s say 8.5 for seven years . Compensation is a 1st,2nd,and 3rd . Does he match it ?

I think he does match that.

16th, 47th, 78th
for
Mantha

vs the extra 2021 unprotected 1st.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think I value more Hall + 2x 1st + 2nd + 3rd > Mantha.

I'll never sign mantha to a 9.5M deal.
Thats a biiiiiig f***ing risk and even if you end up with a 80pts winger, thats overpaid anyways. And you just paid 1-1-2-3 for an anchor contract.

Hall won't sign though so there goes that idea

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
OK... no problem. Lets say you are right that he is worth $6M only. That $3.5M in cap space is not a problem while you have Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Primeau all on ELC/Bridge deals in that 5 year span.

Give your head a shake. We went 3 years in a row with $5M in cap space. What is your breaking point? The point that it's worth it for the Habs and where Yzerman would not match? Lets see how much of a genius you are

I went high for a reason.
Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad