Proposal: Habs offer sheet Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wings have tons of cap space and that's not a problem. Habs have about $10M in cap space if we trade Domi for futures (Sabres for the 8th pick is one example).

Does Yzerman try to low ball his top talent like he did in Tampa? Taxes not the same in Detroit. If Mantha is not happy with the offer from Yzerman, all his agent has to do is call Bergevin.

Offer 1
- 5 years at $8.75M
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Offer 2:
- 2 years at $8.75M. I believe he has 2 RFA years left and he gets to UFA quicker. If the Wings match, Habs can circle back when Mantha becomes UFA in 2 years.
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Yzerman's perspective... Trying to rebuild and likely wants Mantha for 7 or 8 years overlapping his rebuild and contention start point. But if Mantha is signed for 2 or 5 years does he consider the futures?

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
No to paying Mantha Elite player money. He is no Kucherov, not even a Aho. Any GM doing that should be fired on the spot. Between that and the TBL dumping Gourde on MTL trades, I hope Bergevin finds better uses of the scare resource that is cap space ...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You want us to pay 9.5M$ to an NHL forward going into his 6th season whose never topped 48 points?

You want to do another Aho situation that don't work? I actually like offer 2 more. 2 years at $9M. If you are worried about going that high, offer him $8.3M and it's one less 1st. But if you come in at $7M, Yzerman says thank you and chuckles like the Canes did. If they match the 2 year deal, Habs can circle back when he becomes UFA.

Go big or go home. And this comes down to how cheap Yzerman is with Mantha on contract extensions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No to paying Mantha Elite player money. He is no Kucherov, not even a Aho. Any GM doing that should be fired on the spot. Between that and the TBL dumping Gourde on MTL trades, I hope Bergevin finds better uses of the scare resource that is cap space ...

lol. We just went like 3 seasons with $5M+ in cap space. I don't care if we overpay him. The point is you offer a very high contract or don't bother at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yzerman laughs and takes the picks. Who pays Anthony Mantha 9mil per year?

That's the plan. Offer something high and give up the 2 Firsts, 1 second, and 1 Third. Habs went 3 seasons in a row with $5M+ of cap space. Took us over a decade to build our Center and LD depth. I'm not waiting 10 years to get a sniper on wing.

Overpaid yes. If it fits the cap, it fits! Plus the Habs have several ELC/Bridge contracts coming with our young talent. We can flip Domi to the Sabres for the 8th pick (some interest there and Eichel needs talent now, not later). Tatar is let go as a UFA if we bring in Mantha.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
lol. We just went like 3 seasons with $5M+ in cap space. I don't care if we overpay him. The point is you offer a very high contract or don't bother at all.

Then don't bother at all rather than end up with 20m between Price and Mantha who are injury prone. Come on how don't you see that it is very bad for the Habs ? I would not pay 6m to Mantha given the fact that he is not likely to play more than 75% of the games (being nice because this season he played 43 games out of 70), which would mean 8m pro rata and that is already too much for a top 6 winger.

Habs have the cap it does not mean they should sign the worst contracts in the league, or doesn't Price's contract already prove it ?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You want to do another Aho situation that don't work? I actually like offer 2 more. 2 years at $9M. If you are worried about going that high, offer him $8.3M and it's one less 1st. But if you come in at $7M, Yzerman says thank you and chuckles like the Canes did. If they match the 2 year deal, Habs can circle back when he becomes UFA.

Go big or go home. And this comes down to how cheap Yzerman is with Mantha on contract extensions.

Go big or go home. Sure. If Pietro goes UFA, overpay him. If Any of Dahlin, Makar, Heisk, Hughes, EP make it to RFA next year - offer them the moon. 9M? More like 12+. Hell even more. I don't mind the idea of going big for the right player.

But Mantha's career high is 48 points? What am i missing here

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yzerman laughs and takes the picks. Who pays Anthony Mantha 9mil per year?

Yep that he does and in 1 year when Mantha has played 25 games for the Habs scoring 20 points and taking 15% of the cap, he calls Bergevin and asks for 2 other 1st picks to take him back at 75%. ;)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's a creative idea. I like the idea of NHL GMs becoming more aggressive and creative with offer sheets. The Habs didn't go big enough with Aho, but at least they indicated a willingness to start something. And if they learned anything, it's that the numbers do indeed have to go to "crazy" levels for it to work. So I like this proposal. It's the right level of "crazy" and "it might just work". If your team is otherwise going to sit on empty cap space, and doesn't have any financial issues, why not?
:handclap:

Reactions: DarthProbert

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then don't bother at all rather than end up with 20m between Price and Mantha who are injury prone. Come on how don't you see that it is very bad for the Habs ? I would not pay 6m to Mantha given the fact that he is not likely to play more than 75% of the games (being nice because this season he played 43 games out of 70), which would mean 8m pro rata and that is already too much for a top 6 winger.

Habs have the cap it does not mean they should sign the worst contracts in the league, or doesn't Price's contract already prove it ?

It don't matter as long as you do projections and you can sign your talent. I don't care about the $ on 2 player or whatever group of players you can add up together.

If it fits the cap, it fits the cap. Habs will have several ELC and bridge deals for our prospects. We just had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row and you are complaining about overpaying Mantha by what? $2M? :laugh:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Go big or go home. Sure. If Pietro goes UFA, overpay him. If Any of Dahlin, Makar, Heisk, Hughes, EP make it to RFA next year - offer them the moon. 9M? More like 12+. Hell even more. I don't mind the idea of going big for the right player.

But Mantha's career high is 48 points? What am i missing here

Actually 9m for a guy playing 75% of the games is 12m pro rata, so that is even worse. Mantha could be a great fit for the Habs but not at this price and not with his injury history.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a creative idea. I like the idea of NHL GMs becoming more aggressive and creative with offer sheets. The Habs didn't go big enough with Aho, but at least they indicated a willingness to start something. And if they learned anything, it's that the numbers do indeed have to go to "crazy" levels for it to work. So I like this proposal. It's the right level of "crazy" and "it might just work". If your team is otherwise going to sit on empty cap space, and doesn't have any financial issues, why not?

Some Habs fans worried about overpaying by about $2M when we had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row :laugh:. Same fans think Hall is going to sign :biglaugh:

Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Primeau, are all going to be on ELC/Bridge deals in that 5 year term with Mantha. Now is the time to do this. I have other strategies with our assets but not going to reveal them all.

The comical part is some thinking I think Mantha deserves $9.5M. It's a hostile and aggressive move when we have several young talent on ELC/Bridge deals people.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It don't matter as long as you do projections and you can sign your talent. I don't care about the $ on 2 player or whatever group of players you can add up together.

If it fits the cap, it fits the cap. Habs will have several ELC and bridge deals for our prospects. We just had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row and you are complaining about overpaying Mantha by what? $2M? :laugh:

You are overpaying him by 3.5m IF he was playing a full season, by 5.5m given the time he spends with injury ?

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
You sign mantha for 9.5 mil you a crippling your cap structure. Do you think Suzuki and kk if they keep progressing with take anything less than 10 mil after elc? Or any decent rfa for that matter. That will have major future repercussions.

Reactions: Chr1s97

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Some Habs fans worried about overpaying by about $2M when we had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row :laugh:. Same fans think Hall is going to sign :biglaugh:

You've been one of the biggest proponents of "Hall to Montreal" all year - so i'm not sure what you're complaining about lol

To me at 9.5M, we're overpaying by a whole lot more than 2M$. I just don't see it. He has a career high of 48 points. What do you expect him to produce if he comes to Montreal?

Reactions: RicoxSuave

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Because I am quite sure you can spend your cap in a better way. Even Krug at 8m or Hall at 9m or Pietrangelo at 10m is better (which is already a bad deal IMO) than Mantha at 9.5m. Toffoli is a UFA and could be a fit. Even signing Domi for 6.5m is a better deal than this. I am all for offersheets. For example O/S Sergachev if you want, but not Mantha and not at this price.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Of course, then there's the back story where Domi gets the #8 pick...

Domi's value is very fluid.

He's either a young 25yr old center who scored 70+ points in his first year at center, and is also known to have a high compete level.
Or - he just had a really bad season, supposedly attitude problems and doesn't get along with the coach/insists on playing a certain position, and had bad playoffs.

The first sentence gets you the #8 overall pick - almost easily. The second, not so much. Just comes down to finding the right team who values him highly. I don't think 8th overall is completely unrealistic, but could end up a lot less too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad