Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Sens 6-3. Bring on McDavid

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The excuse is pretty simple: the team scores more goals when Price is in nets. Nothing Allen can do about that.

So team just shut down their offense when it's Allen in net......makes senses. #Not
How many games Price's lost in regulation in the last 10 games when he had goal support?

It was the first one.....And that's your reaction......

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sure it helps, but I don't think it's enough to explain why the team is simply scoring more goals in front of Price versus Allen. Unless you're Brodeur playing in the trap era, a goaltenders impact on offense is practically non-existent.
Except that this team has few players who are strong at transitioning the puck. There’s Petry and...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Perhaps.

I don't notice anything specifically that is different when Price or Allen plays.

The biggest difference would be Price's puck handling.

It's pretty much the mindset of a lot of teams (or players)....in a lot of sports.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I mean, if anything it's an indictment on how bad our defense is at moving the puck.
Well.., yeah. :laugh:

That’s what happens when you stack your blueline with scrubs. Price’s puck handling is critical back there. It makes a huge difference. Teams have to change the way they come in against Ilya because he’s great at scooping up loose pucks on the dump ins.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You can say that again!

I remember I had bought season tickets to the Laval Rocket for their first season. One of the main reasons was that I was really excited to see Sergachev play. Well, bargain bin trades him and I had the pleasure of watching the likes of Chris Terry, Froese, Audette, McCarron, Fucale, Waked et al.

A collection of clowns on a terrible team that finished dead last in the league.
The Bulldogs did that here in Hamilton for five plus years under Bergie and Laf. Games were painful to watch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe it's because Price helps the D get out of its own end, with his puck handling and puck movement?

I'm not saying -this- is the reason; but our D is severely low on puck movers and it's a huge issue that MB doesn't see as one, because he traded Subban for Weber.. got Alzner, Chiarot then Edmundson in an attempt to have as many slow footed, non puck movers as possible.

MB's preference seems to be oversized, physical shutdown D. He sees these kinds of specimens as essential for the playoffs. And yet, he's the same guy who got Petry and extended him. I don't know why we are continuing to have an imbalance on D, especially now that Weber appears to have slowed down some.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
How do teams do this? Go from playing a well structured dominant style of game to completely disorganized fumbling pond hockey? This looked like the same problem we had with CJ of players not being ready for the game...I will give it a pass here depending on what I see next couple of games. Price back to being lazy in net...he needs to be more combative in there.
In the North it appears anyone can beat anyone on any given night. So look at it this way. If the Habs can get hot goal tending from Price and/or Allen for a couple weeks come play offs, a little luck and some timely scoring??? .............anyways Im praying that happens and they beat the loafs out.
I know that would have its downside in that Bergie would be rewarded with a twenty year contract by Molson.............but beating the leafs out....... Would make my summer! And beyond.

Reactions: Yoor and angusyoung

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
So team just shut down their offense when it's Allen in net......makes senses. #Not
How many games Price's lost in regulation in the last 10 games when he had goal support?

It was the first one.....And that's your reaction......

Could be. If the team doesn't have confidence in Allen they'll play on their heels trying to limit mistakes and this usually results in less goals and more control from the other team.

Then Price comes and they are less afraid of making mistake -> Which opens up the defense but also results in a much better offense.

This is just an assumption, I've seen it before playing but no idea if that's what's happening with this team.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
MB's preference seems to be oversized, physical shutdown D. He sees these kinds of specimens as essential for the playoffs. And yet, he's the same guy who got Petry and extended him. I don't know why we are continuing to have an imbalance on D, especially now that Weber appears to have slowed down some.

I believe his "strategy" is to have them clear out the net for Price and hope Price performs miracles.

Remember when he got injured by Kreider? Seems like MB is building his defence against that specific play lol

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Timely performance:speechles

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad