Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Oiltown

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They might not be high in the standings, but this team has competed all year. It seems like it's just a matter of time before they get there. Add a healthy Dach and some growth next year and who knows. The East is absolute shit after Florida, Carolina and New York, everything is up for grabs.
They have been in 40 one goal games out of 68 games played............they have had a much better season this year.
It's nice to look forward, another top 10 pick, maybe top 5..............next year a full year of Dach, Slaf, CC and The Captain...........the young D are moving forward........
Better days ahead guys........we are getting closer.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
They might not be high in the standings, but this team has competed all year. It seems like it's just a matter of time before they get there. Add a healthy Dach and some growth next year and who knows. The East is absolute shit after Florida, Carolina and New York, everything is up for grabs.
Boston?

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Florida, Boston, Toronto, Rangers and Carolina are pretty much locks for the playoffs the next few years, but there are three spots open that are very obtainable as soon as next year.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This is true.

It's very hard to win with one and half forward lines and group of young defencemen. Is there a team in the NHL that has a weaker bottom two lines?

Its a testament to the strength of our core (top) players that we are competitive in so many games. We are closer to once again becoming relevant than many think.

Great game by this team.
They looked dead in the water when it was 2-0 but they found a way to fight back and they have done that so many times this season. If Hughes can add some offense to this roster we will be a much tougher opponent to deal with, they have shown some good things this season.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
They looked dead in the water when it was 2-0 but they found a way to fight back and they have done that so many times this season. If Hughes can add some offense to this roster we will be a much tougher opponent to deal with, they have shown some good things this season.
Dach coming back is going to be huge for our offensive output. He will draw some attention away from our top line. Put Caufield with him (I know you are not as in love with Cole) and we now have two lines that can generate offensively.

Next year, we can try both Newhook and Roy consistently with those top two lines, to see if either takes another step.

We have a top 10 pick coming and should get a decent offensive piece with that pick.

We have draft capital in the form of our Jets 1st rounder and 2 x 1st rounders next year, with which we can try and pull off a trade for another offensive piece (Zegras if he is your flavour).

Finally, we have cap space to play around in the free agent market, this summer and next.

It's not so much a matter of "IF", I feel like it is a matter of "WHEN".

PS....how did you stay awake for last nights game. I only managed the first period.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Thank you. I'll be okay, since insurance has been replacing the items. Causing my insurance rates to increase. What hurts the most is I brought this kid on 20 years ago as a student. I mentored him, and continued to give him responsibilities, as he was able to overcome any obsticle I put in front of him.

My employees are paid well, so any of them buying a new car, or bigger home. Never set off any warning signs. It's too early to tell what he's done with the money. Since this has been going on for five plus years. Oh the company he's been selling too is gonna get a smack. I'm tempted to buy them out, then crush them like a grape lol

This kid was more like Suzuki. Came in at a young age, and showed great leadership qualities. I'm usually pretty good at judging people. Well, I guess I'm not as good as I thought lol
You can buy me out...

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I went to the game in Calgary on Saturday and last night in Edmonton. The Habs played with a lot more "give a damn" against the Oilers than they did against the Flames (to be expected, I suppose, given that MSL left Calgary just hours before puck drop)

The Habs were the better team last night pretty much from beginning to end. But when you are assessed 6 minutes of penalty time in the waning seconds of the third against a team with McJebus, Draisaitl and Hyman, it's not going to end well. I'd feel better about it if those penalties were "earned" but the double-minor was a joke. How can you penalize a guy for high sticking when his stick is only high in the first place because he's being interfered with by another player? Without that contact initiated by an Oilers player, Henrique never gets clipped. It was a stupid call that pretty much wiped out any chance for the Habs to win. But even so, they managed to kill 5:45 out of the 6 minutes of penalty time against the best PP in the league.

I do wish, however, that when Suzuki broke down the right side killing that penalty in OT, that he had tried to drive the net against Bouchard rather than pass it back to kill time. Bouchard isn't great defensively and all Nick would have had to do is let Bouchard haul him down and draw the even up penalty that the refs probably would have called.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just realized Colin White was -2 with like 6 minutes of icetime. :skeptic:
Teams have been feasting on our bottom all season long.
I can't wait until we get some real role players on this team.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Rules clearly state a player is responsible for his stick at ALL times, but Kane should’ve received an interference call offsetting the PP IMO
The problem was the refs did not see the play. Like they often do lately, they will call the double minor when they did not see it, as the double minor allows them to review and get it right. The problem is they cannot call the Kane interference on review, they can only review the High stick to determine if it was Armia- yes, cut yes so the 4 becomes automatic. I think that review rule needs to be modified to allow the ref to call any other infractions on the play that contributed to it.

Yes the rule states that you must be in control of you stick but modify it to say that if the high stick is the direct result of a previous play (legal or not) by the opposition then there is no infraction. Carried to the extreme the rule as currently written would result in a penalty to Armia in the following hypothetical situation.

Kane comes over engages with Armia, loses his own stick , grabs Armia's from his hands and follow through highsticks his teammate while Armia not touching the stick. Refs don't see it clearly so they take the easy way out and call the 4 min with review. The only thing they can call is the high stick, by letter of rule it was Armias stick and he was not in control of it

Reactions: salbutera

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Dach coming back is going to be huge for our offensive output. He will draw some attention away from our top line. Put Caufield with him (I know you are not as in love with Cole) and we now have two lines that can generate offensively.

Next year, we can try both Newhook and Roy consistently with those top two lines, to see if either takes another step.

We have a top 10 pick coming and should get a decent offensive piece with that pick.

We have draft capital in the form of our Jets 1st rounder and 2 x 1st rounders next year, with which we can try and pull off a trade for another offensive piece (Zegras if he is your flavour).

Finally, we have cap space to play around in the free agent market, this summer and next.

It's not so much a matter of "IF", I feel like it is a matter of "WHEN".

PS....how did you stay awake for last nights game. I only managed the first period.
I like Sam Bennett, not a big point producer but a guy who plays a tough game, seems to be good defensively and is 27 years old. He has one year left on a good contract but probably isn't available but that is the type of player I would like to add. Someone that plays with an edge and if that type of player is available you get him.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I like Sam Bennett, not a big point producer but a guy who plays a tough game, seems to be good defensively and is 27 years old. He has one year left on a good contract but probably isn't available but that is the type of player I would like to add. Someone that plays with an edge and if that type of player is available you get him.
Absolutely great call! I have always liked Bennett and at what his price point is likely to be, I would take a run at him that summer. Seems like the perfect player for a second line, or potentially a third liner, if we are trying to run 3 deep lines. Bennett reminds me of Perry with less offence. The kind of guy who plays big come playoff time!

I would approach his 2014 draft counterpart, Sam Reinhart, with some trepidation. While, he is obviously having an outstanding year, at the price point he is likely to command, I would be very cautious about another Huburdeau situation.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The problem was the refs did not see the play. Like they often do lately, they will call the double minor when they did not see it, as the double minor allows them to review and get it right. The problem is they cannot call the Kane interference on review, they can only review the High stick to determine if it was Armia- yes, cut yes so the 4 becomes automatic. I think that review rule needs to be modified to allow the ref to call any other infractions on the play that contributed to it.

Yes the rule states that you must be in control of you stick but modify it to say that if the high stick is the direct result of a previous play (legal or not) by the opposition then there is no infraction. Carried to the extreme the rule as currently written would result in a penalty to Armia in the following hypothetical situation.

Kane comes over engages with Armia, loses his own stick , grabs Armia's from his hands and follow through highsticks his teammate while Armia not touching the stick. Refs don't see it clearly so they take the easy way out and call the 4 min with review. The only thing they can call is the high stick, by letter of rule it was Armias stick and he was not in control of it
If I'm the ref last night, I say nothing except that the 4 minutes is being reviewed, and the rest of the play under discussion with the other officials. The last thing I want is to give a team an undeserved power polay that will decide the game.

After review, and seeing the cut, I announce the following:

Edmonton player Kane, two minutes for interference and two minutes for high-sticking.
Montreal player Armia, four minutes for high sticking.

If no cut, call nothing.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's one of the few higher echelon players I'd like to throw assets at.
I'm certainly not a believer that Trevor Zegras will play the type of game this team needs.
We are creating an Identity and he ain't it. I don't bring Sam up because I don't think we have a hope of landing him.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Thank you. I'll be okay, since insurance has been replacing the items. Causing my insurance rates to increase. What hurts the most is I brought this kid on 20 years ago as a student. I mentored him, and continued to give him responsibilities, as he was able to overcome any obsticle I put in front of him.

My employees are paid well, so any of them buying a new car, or bigger home. Never set off any warning signs. It's too early to tell what he's done with the money. Since this has been going on for five plus years. Oh the company he's been selling too is gonna get a smack. I'm tempted to buy them out, then crush them like a grape lol

This kid was more like Suzuki. Came in at a young age, and showed great leadership qualities. I'm usually pretty good at judging people. Well, I guess I'm not as good as I thought lol

I have also been taken for millions , sometimes we just miss the signs. Feel ya.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Absolutely great call! I have always liked Bennett and at what his price point is likely to be, I would take a run at him that summer. Seems like the perfect player for a second line, or potentially a third liner, if we are trying to run 3 deep lines. Bennett reminds me of Perry with less offence. The kind of guy who plays big come playoff time!

I would approach his 2014 draft counterpart, Sam Reinhart, with some trepidation. While, he is obviously having an outstanding year, at the price point he is likely to command, I would be very cautious about another Huburdeau situation.
We aren't at the stage where a bigger UFA prize wants to be here. I suggested Bennett because he is under contract and just as an example of what I like in a player. I am not suggesting that he would be available on the trade market but that's the type of player we need.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
If I'm the ref last night, I say nothing except that the 4 minutes is being reviewed, and the rest of the play under discussion with the other officials. The last thing I want is to give a team an undeserved power polay that will decide the game.

After review, and seeing the cut, I announce the following:

Edmonton player Kane, two minutes for interference and two minutes for high-sticking.
Montreal player Armia, four minutes for high sticking.

If no cut, call nothing.
The problem is the ref cannot call anything other than the high stick on Armia after reviewing it. He can only review that potential penalty. anything on Kane he would have to call before the review. His review can confirm the 4 min reduce it or eliminate it thats it. As written he made the right call on what he reviewed, maybe the solution is once a play has been selected for review he can call any and all infractions he sees during that review.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad