Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Oiltown

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He's one of the few higher echelon players I'd like to throw assets at.
I'm certainly not a believer that Trevor Zegras will play the type of game this team needs.
We are creating an Identity and he ain't it. I don't bring Sam up because I don't think we have a hope of getting him.
I agree with Zegras, he's better off as a complementary piece on a good team that can afford to overlook his weaknesses as a player. We are trying to rebuild and create an identity and I used Bennett as a reference for the type of player I like. There might be younger versions available that are blocked depth-wise right now. What we do this summer hinges on how Hughes views the team's progress in his rebuild.

One would have to think that Molson would want to see his team challenge for a playoff spot next season but I guess it might hinge on the competition in the East and how their playoffs go. I mean, if some of the better teams bow out early it might present an opportunity for Hughes to strengthen our roster with trades. We have plenty of picks and young prospects on defense though it might be too early for that line of thinking.

NotSNFan

Nov 18, 2022
I watched about half the game on the Habs' regional TSN broadcast with Mudryk and Button. I watched the Oilers' Rogers' SN broadcast - can't recall who the PBP team was. Despite my screen name, the SN PBP was FAR SUPERIOR to Mudryk and Button. Mudryk is wayyyyyy too partisan. Clearly a homer. I think "homer" is the worst thing you can say about a PBP announcer. Colour analysts are OK if they're a bit more partisan - though Button is over-the-top. He's like a hired gun: "OK, tell me who I'm supposed to cheer for tonight. Who's paying me?"

The Oilers' broadcast was far more objective. I think the role of a PBP announcer is to call the play, make it interesting, and be objective. Not trying to make insecure viewers feel affirmed in their decision to support "their" team.

If I had to watch/listen to the TSN broadcast all year, possible that I'd stop being a Habs fan and choose another team. I think one significant reason I and a lot of other fans hate another team isn't because of that team's players, but because of their media. Examples: Leafs and Bruins (Jack Edwards).

Personally, I like John Bartlett on SN and I even prefer Gary Galley over most of the homers they have on the HAbs' TSN broadcasts. Overall, I think - for the Canadian franchises - John Shorthouse (Vancouver) is the best PBP hockey broadcaster

I watched about half the game on the Habs' regional TSN broadcast with Mudryk and Button. I watched the Oilers' Rogers' SN broadcast - can't recall who the PBP team was. Despite my screen name, the SN PBP was FAR SUPERIOR to Mudryk and Button. Mudryk is wayyyyyy too partisan. Clearly a homer. I think "homer" is the worst thing you can say about a PBP announcer. Colour analysts are OK if they're a bit more partisan - though Button is over-the-top. He's like a hired gun: "OK, tell me who I'm supposed to cheer for tonight. Who's paying me?"

The Oilers' broadcast was far more objective. I think the role of a PBP announcer is to call the play, make it interesting, and be objective. Not trying to make insecure viewers feel affirmed in their decision to support "their" team.

If I had to watch/listen to the TSN broadcast all year, possible that I'd stop being a Habs fan and choose another team. I think one significant reason I and a lot of other fans hate another team isn't because of that team's players, but because of their media. Examples: Leafs and Bruins (Jack Edwards).

Personally, I like John Bartlett on SN and I even prefer Gary Galley over most of the homers they have on the HAbs' TSN broadcasts. Overall, I think - for the Canadian franchises - John Shorthouse (Vancouver) is the best PBP hockey broadcaster

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree with Zegras, he's better off as a complementary piece on a good team that can afford to overlook his weaknesses as a player. We are trying to rebuild and create an identity and I used Bennett as a reference for the type of player I like. There might be younger versions available that are blocked depth-wise right now. What we do this summer hinges on how Hughes views the team's progress in his rebuild.

One would have to think that Molson would want to see his team challenge for a playoff spot next season but I guess it might hinge on the competition in the East and how their playoffs go. I mean, if some of the better teams bow out early it might present an opportunity for Hughes to strengthen our roster with trades. We have plenty of picks and young prospects on defense though it might be too early for that line of thinking.
I've been on a one man crusade to get our bottom fixed for next season we need multiple changes IMO.
Going back two years I felt we wouldn't be able to compete until there were no longer any glaring holes on our roster.
I used Vegas as an example of a team who started at that level. The balance allowed players who weren't stars to become stars.
With Kirby back I see a chance of playing above .500 but I certainly don't see us competing in the bubble not with this current group.
It looks like Anderson and Gallagher could become a real problem because I think we wll have to severely limit their icetime.
I'm fairly certain that won't go over well. We already see what Anderson is like when he gets bumped.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They looked dead in the water when it was 2-0 but they found a way to fight back and they have done that so many times this season. If Hughes can add some offense to this roster we will be a much tougher opponent to deal with, they have shown some good things this season.
Dach gets added, and then, this summer will be some more additions to the current lineup.
Draft capital will be used to get our scoring help.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Dach gets added, and then, this summer will be some more additions to the current lineup.
Draft capital will be used to get our scoring help.
100%, besides the pick we will be using in the top 6, the rest better be trade for F and D help! I really think and believe KH will be very aggressive this upcoming off season and the only pick that will be off the table is our current 1st this year and next!

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The problem is the ref cannot call anything other than the high stick on Armia after reviewing it. He can only review that potential penalty. anything on Kane he would have to call before the review. His review can confirm the 4 min reduce it or eliminate it thats it. As written he made the right call on what he reviewed, maybe the solution is once a play has been selected for review he can call any and all infractions he sees during that review.
The officials can always have a discussion amongst themselves and officials say that the interference and high-sticking on Kane came from the discussions.

I'm telling you what I would have done as an official to get it right.

RandR

May 15, 2011
The problem is the ref cannot call anything other than the high stick on Armia after reviewing it. He can only review that potential penalty. anything on Kane he would have to call before the review. His review can confirm the 4 min reduce it or eliminate it thats it. As written he made the right call on what he reviewed, maybe the solution is once a play has been selected for review he can call any and all infractions he sees during that review.
Correct. The refs called it according to the rule book and nobody should expect them to do otherwise.

The problem with adding mitigating circumstances is that it complicates the rule, making even more calls seem arbitrary. This sort of play happens quite rarely so I wouldn’t think it would be worth it.

If anything, it makes the loss easier for the players to accept.

Reactions: CDN24

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
100%, besides the pick we will be using in the top 6, the rest better be trade for F and D help! I really think and believe KH will be very aggressive this upcoming off season and the only pick that will be off the table is our current 1st this year and next!
If Celebrini, Eiserman and Demidov are gone, I would consider using the Habs first for a Zegras or other player valued as a top-x pick.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree with Zegras, he's better off as a complementary piece on a good team that can afford to overlook his weaknesses as a player.

LOL, that's the whole idea, for him to be a complimentary piece on a team that already has Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Dach and Caufield.

Not just trades but LOADS of cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Correct. The refs called it according to the rule book and nobody should expect them to do otherwise.

The problem with adding mitigating circumstances is that it complicates the rule, making even more calls seem arbitrary. This sort of play happens quite rarely so I wouldn’t think it would be worth it.

If anything, it makes the loss easier for the players to accept.
I disagree they already reverse calls when it's caused by a follow through or when a defender lifts an opponent's stick into the face of a team-member.
The truth is they were never going to call interference on that play no matter what but if it was more flagrant they could have called both.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Murdyk makes me want to punch the tv, he is so unlikeable. 'And you know Craig, here's a fast fact for you about Guhle' - for the 50th time. We GET IT, he's from Edmonton, we know. Thanks for telling us he can skate, as can MM. Thank for reminding us hockey is more than a game, and we should all have MSL in our hearts. Thanks for letting us know McDavid is a decent player. Total loser, enrages me.

• Haha
Reactions: OldCraig71

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As much as i like his great skating and offense the guy is not good whatsoever on defense.Maybe they should try him as a forward or trade him.
I think one of the possible issues Hughes may face is that as a former agent he befriended many of the players he represented including Struble, Harris, Matheson. I wonder how difficult it will be for him to move guys he became close to.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matheson isn't great defensively, but he's also playing like 26 minutes a game against top lines every game.

Even as strong as Suzuki is defensively, he's -19 this year.
Thats a pretty sizeable difference. And the more ice-time you have, the more goals you can score, too.

The problem with Matheson is that he sucks defensively and also that he sucks offensively.

He has 14 points at 5v5.

David Savard has 16.

Kaiden Guhle has 14.

Justin Barron has 10.

Both Barron and Savard have played about half of his 5v5 playing time.

The notion that he's some kind of offensive dynamo a la Karlsson or what ever needs to die. He pads his stats with 6 minutes of PP a game while leeching of Suzuki and in OT where he has like 10 points.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Love that Guhle goal tho man
Considering the crap he's been getting and him being from there and knowing that rink very well
I'm sure it meant a lot to him to score, and to score like that lol
I haven't been able to watch much, I do see him get quite a bit of scorn in the GDTs.

How has he been playing all in all?

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I think one of the possible issues Hughes may face is that as a former agent he befriended many of the players he represented including Struble, Harris, Matheson. I wonder how difficult it will be for him to move guys he became close to.

Very good point

Reactions: Pomee

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I haven't been able to watch much, I do see him get quite a bit of scorn in the GDTs.

How has he been playing all in all?
He's playing fine lol

Considering hes still just a 22 yr old pup playing RD1 minutes on his off side getting top assignments , and playing with a LD who is -31 somehow with 50 pts who should be a LD2

All in all, he's hanging in there, has a few goals, hasn't really been 'injured and missing time' despite all the frail remarks

He'll only get better in time just like most D , but now that speed of his is flashing more and more, only making Matheson's only skill look more and more redundant

Reactions: Pomee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad