Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Oiltown

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think he is as bad as the -31 shows, but I definitively think he has no business playing the number of minutes he's asked to play.

Isn't it kind of assumed that the reason Matheson has played the 3rd most minutes of any player this season is that they want to bring the young guys along carefully? Like what the Ducks are doing with Fowler?

Matheson is playing a minute more a game than Roman Josi and more than two minutes more a game than Adam Fox. Four and half more minutes than Guhle. Its pretty clear he's being sacrificed in the name of bringing up young guys along more slowly.

Reactions: Archijerej

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I watched about half the game on the Habs' regional TSN broadcast with Mudryk and Button. I watched the Oilers' Rogers' SN broadcast - can't recall who the PBP team was. Despite my screen name, the SN PBP was FAR SUPERIOR to Mudryk and Button. Mudryk is wayyyyyy too partisan. Clearly a homer. I think "homer" is the worst thing you can say about a PBP announcer. Colour analysts are OK if they're a bit more partisan - though Button is over-the-top. He's like a hired gun: "OK, tell me who I'm supposed to cheer for tonight. Who's paying me?"

The Oilers' broadcast was far more objective. I think the role of a PBP announcer is to call the play, make it interesting, and be objective. Not trying to make insecure viewers feel affirmed in their decision to support "their" team.

If I had to watch/listen to the TSN broadcast all year, possible that I'd stop being a Habs fan and choose another team. I think one significant reason I and a lot of other fans hate another team isn't because of that team's players, but because of their media. Examples: Leafs and Bruins (Jack Edwards).

Personally, I like John Bartlett on SN and I even prefer Gary Galley over most of the homers they have on the HAbs' TSN broadcasts. Overall, I think - for the Canadian franchises - John Shorthouse (Vancouver) is the best PBP hockey broadcaster

I watched about half the game on the Habs' regional TSN broadcast with Mudryk and Button. I watched the Oilers' Rogers' SN broadcast - can't recall who the PBP team was. Despite my screen name, the SN PBP was FAR SUPERIOR to Mudryk and Button. Mudryk is wayyyyyy too partisan. Clearly a homer. I think "homer" is the worst thing you can say about a PBP announcer. Colour analysts are OK if they're a bit more partisan - though Button is over-the-top. He's like a hired gun: "OK, tell me who I'm supposed to cheer for tonight. Who's paying me?"

The Oilers' broadcast was far more objective. I think the role of a PBP announcer is to call the play, make it interesting, and be objective. Not trying to make insecure viewers feel affirmed in their decision to support "their" team.

If I had to watch/listen to the TSN broadcast all year, possible that I'd stop being a Habs fan and choose another team. I think one significant reason I and a lot of other fans hate another team isn't because of that team's players, but because of their media. Examples: Leafs and Bruins (Jack Edwards).

Personally, I like John Bartlett on SN and I even prefer Gary Galley over most of the homers they have on the HAbs' TSN broadcasts. Overall, I think - for the Canadian franchises - John Shorthouse (Vancouver) is the best PBP hockey broadcaster
Sean Cambell was nothing short of nauseating during intermission on tsn690,he didn’t really think anyone in particular did anything wrong on the first goal is just one example ,:facepalm: then come the useless questions like “ what do you think Guhle will look like in 8 years” on the second intermission. As far as the officiating goes, the striped donkeys were in fine form last night. I thought our overall effort was very good last night aside from the usual suspects it was actually an interesting game to watch, I don’t exactly know what has happened to Armia, but holy hockey sticks, he’s playing some great hockey..

Reactions: Runner77

NotSNFan

Nov 18, 2022
Sean Cambell was nothing short of nauseating during intermission on tsn690,he didn’t really think anyone in particular did anything wrong on the first goal is just one example ,:facepalm: then come the useless questions like “ what do you think Guhle will look like in 8 years” on the second intermission. As far as the officiating goes, the striped donkeys were in fine form last night. I thought our overall effort was very good last night aside from the usual suspects it was actually an interesting game to watch, I don’t exactly know what has happened to Armia, but holy hockey sticks, he’s playing some great hockey..
I watch very few non-Habs games on TSN and SN. They all use local/regional broadcasters - yes, I consider Chris Cuthbert a regional Leaf's broadcaster. The PBP teams basically ruin the games for me. Is it my imagination or has PBP become more partisan, in order to market to the "tribe" for the local team? If so, I guess it's consistent with things days e.g politics, social media. Sad IMO

Reactions: habbubba

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sean Cambell was nothing short of nauseating during intermission on tsn690,he didn’t really think anyone in particular did anything wrong othe first goal is just one example ,:facepalm: then come the useless questions like “ what do you think Guhle will look like in 8 years” on the second intermission.
I happened to hear that 2nd intermission segment when Campbell asked that completely useless question about Ghule. Victor Findlay was taken aback by it, wondering if Ghule was even going to be a Hab by then.

Why 8 years? Where’s the rationale? The guy just pulls stuff out of his ass and is woefully unprepared. And then he goes into these non-ending soliloquies about generalities and platitudes as if he was sharing information. Not to be outdone by the cringy references to himself, his social media accounts and constantly repeating his name.

TSN690 has gone rogue letting any kind of nitwit on air. How does Campbell still have a job? :facepalm:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Correct. The refs called it according to the rule book and nobody should expect them to do otherwise.

The problem with adding mitigating circumstances is that it complicates the rule, making even more calls seem arbitrary. This sort of play happens quite rarely so I wouldn’t think it would be worth it.

If anything, it makes the loss easier for the players to accept.
The best could be to keep review only for 4 min high stick, but call anything they actually see on the review: Interference, diving, etc.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
LOL, that's the whole idea, for him to be a complimentary piece on a team that already has Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Dach and Caufield.
Well Caufield is already looked at as a complimentary player and too many becomes a problem I think.
Maybe you don't see it that way but a lot of us do

Reactions: OldCraig71

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nice slant.

'Us' versus lil' ol' me.
Seriously. :cry:
We don't see eye to eye on what constitutes good team building that is evident.
But I was in no way trying to use a gang mentality on you.
You know very well there are probably more posters who disagree with me.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
After seeing the game I can't help but wonder if Oilers fans are a bit concerned as it was far from an impressive win, nugent hopkins was invisible. Credit to Montreal though for giving them a challenge.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
I watch very few non-Habs games on TSN and SN. They all use local/regional broadcasters - yes, I consider Chris Cuthbert a regional Leaf's broadcaster. The PBP teams basically ruin the games for me. Is it my imagination or has PBP become more partisan, in order to market to the "tribe" for the local team? If so, I guess it's consistent with things days e.g politics, social media. Sad IMO
Broadcasting today is so unpolished and annoying. It is as if the standards have been lowered. I saw some of the TNS panel in Florida? and they clearly have no stylist or wardrobe advisor. Did no one notice the new look that Pierre ''the Fuhrer'' Lebrun has adapted? Come on dude,fix that hair and either grow that mustache wider or get rid of it,it's not a good look. Maybe it was in the 1940's in Nazi Germany,but not today.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
LOL, that's the whole idea, for him to be a complimentary piece on a team that already has Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Dach and Caufield.
Glad I made you laugh but I did say a complimentary piece on a good team and we aren't there yet. I want a skilled top 6 addition who can hit and do things that contribute to a win but not necessarily appear on the scoresheet. A top 6 with Zegras, Caufield, and Newhook makes us easier to play against, neither can play a physical game.

After seeing the game I can't help but wonder if Oilers fans are a bit concerned as it was far from an impressive win, nugent hopkins was invisible. Credit to Montreal though for giving them a challenge.
The Oilers took the night off, that wasn't them at 100 percent.

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022

I’ll say this do the umpteenth time, I miss Dan Robertson calling Habs games! Also Dave Randorf!

Broadcasting today is so unpolished and annoying. It is as if the standards have been lowered. I saw some of the TNS panel in Florida? and they clearly have no stylist or wardrobe advisor. Did no one notice the new look that Pierre ''the Fuhrer'' Lebrun has adapted? Come on dude,fix that hair and either grow that mustache wider or get rid of it,it's not a good look. Maybe it was in the 1940's in Nazi Germany,but not today.
Unfortunately this is what stands for journalists today!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You weren't kidding.

YMep0l3.png

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Glad I made you laugh but I did say a complimentary piece on a good team and we aren't there yet. I want a skilled top 6 addition who can hit and do things that contribute to a win but not necessarily appear on the scoresheet. A top 6 with Zegras, Caufield, and Newhook makes us easier to play against, neither can play a physical game.
Skill is irreplaceable. We can't win without it.

In terms of big, heavy frames: Slaf on one line, Dach on the other. If we want, we can move Newhook to a 3rd line and target another larger winger for the second line.

In another year and a half, we should also have Beck in the lineup doing those little things that help teams win.

Reactions: Miller Time

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Well Caufield is already looked at as a complimentary player and too many becomes a problem I think.
Maybe you don't see it that way but a lot of us do

Care to expand on that? Because if we're viewing complementary the same way, then I'm not sure I'd make that argument unless Caufield ends up being one of the worst finishers in the NHL.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

In terms of big, heavy frames: Slaf on one line, Dach on the other. If we want, we can move Newhook to a 3rd line and target another larger winger for the second line.

In another year and a half, we should also have Beck in the lineup doing those little things that help teams win.
Indeed.

Knights didn't have issues getting to a cup with the likes of Eichel, Marchessault, Karlsson & Stephenson as 4 of their top 6 used forwards in the playoffs.

Zegras, CC & Newhook quite easily could match/exceed the impact of March/Steph/Karlsson in their 25-30 years... Frankly I'd be a bit surprised if get don't.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Care to expand on that? Because if we're viewing complementary the same way, then I'm not sure I'd make that argument unless Caufield ends up being one of the worst finishers in the NHL.
Complimentary in terms of what is brought to the team Caufield the scorer and Zegras the playmaker even though they do some of both.
For example I don't find Caufield to be an ideal left winger on a first line.
So in other words there are aspects of his game that are lacking like physicality and strong board play.

Trevor Zegras is the play-maker who won't have the type of goal scoring we expect out of Caufield.
Who also is reported to be weak in the same areas Caufield is.

For me it's like choose your poison the goal scorer or the play-maker.
I expect their production would be very similar points wise with perhaps Zegras having the edge.

I don't think we can support both in a top 6 role not on a real contender.
Either a finisher to compliment heavy lifters or a play maker feeding the heavy lifters.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Complimentary in terms of what is brought to the team Caufield the scorer and Zegras the playmaker even though they do some of both.
For example I don't find Caufield to be an ideal left winger on a first line.
So in other words there are aspects of his game that are lacking like physicality and strong board play.

Trevor Zegras is the play-maker who won't have the type of goal scoring we expect out of Caufield.
Who also is reported to be weak in the same areas Caufield is.

For me it's like choose your poison the goal scorer or the play-maker.
I expect their production would be very similar points wise with perhaps Zegras having the edge.

I don't think we can support both in a top 6 role not on a real contender.
Either a finisher to compliment heavy lifters or a play maker feeding the heavy lifters.

I'm not gung ho on Zegras, but Caufield's playmaking and two way play is vastly improved this season. He's never going to have the board play, but Vegas literally just won a cup with Marchessault being their most used forward 5v5, and he also lacks physicality and strong board play. I feel like not viewing him as an ideal 1st line winger is unnecessarily nit-picky.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not gung ho on Zegras, but Caufield's playmaking and two way play is vastly improved this season. He's never going to have the board play, but Vegas literally just won a cup with Marchessault being their most used forward 5v5, and he also lacks physicality and strong board play. I feel like not viewing him as an ideal 1st line winger is unnecessarily nit-picky.
Marchessault has some pit bull in him I didn't agree with our friend's assessment using those Vegas players.
They all play a heavier game to a man and they are also all vastly superior along the wall Marchessault included.
I don't mean to sound nit picky I expect Caufield could do better with less responsibility.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Marchessault has some pit bull in him I didn't agree with our friend's assessment using those Vegas players.
They all play a heavier game to a man.

I don't really see why we need to even use another team or player. Caufield has already been to cup final and was either the best or 2nd best forward on that team. And he graded well league wide in those playoffs. And he's a more complete player now than he was then.

I get being realistic about players and not over-hyping guys, but if Caufield is not deemed an ideal top-line winger to the degree that it precludes looking at a guy like Zegras (especially in the context of what that has actually meant for the last 10-15 years), then Montreal might as well trade everyone older than Slafkovsky and start over again.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Dach(if healthy) is a really good player with size and skill but I would like another bigger presence in the top 6. It's too bad that Anderson isn't that but oh well. If the Ducks move Zegras it won't be cheap and they will probably want a young roster player in return plus picks. He might be out of our price range.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad