Habs HF Boards Age Demographics

What age range were you born?

• Baby Boomers (1946-1964)

• Generation X (1965 – 1980)

• Millennials/Generation Y (1981 – 1995)

• Generation Z (1996-Today)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This is a trap.
giphy.gif

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
1990...I was lucky enough to watch Alexei Kovalev when he had his legendary PPG season. :nod:

There’s also that one time when I witnessed the greatest comeback in comeback history when the Habs won against the Rangers being down 5-0.

I do remember that too i was 18 years old. It was 2008

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Born in 1979, and I remember the Habs last cup in '93 (was in great 8 and celebrated the morning after at school with my friends). Looking at the results of this poll, I feel old all of a sudden....

How much celebrating could you have done at that age? :laugh: Still above my memory level of that win.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Actually, the numbers I gave are the usual averages. Read enough sociology to know where the cohorts range.

Millenials are called as such because the cohort is usually those born before 2000 but became adults after 2000.

all from wiki

Baby boomers (also known as boomers) are the demographic cohort following the Silent Generation and preceding Generation X. There are varying timelines defining the start and the end of this cohort; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to mid-1940s and ending birth years ranging from 1960 to 1965

Generation X or Gen X is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s.

Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

I've never heard once a cohort of millenials starting in the 1970's. There's no such study that I have came upon. All millenial cohorts I've seen start at minimum in 1980.

And cohorts representing generations typically range in the 15 t0 20 years span, not 10 or 12.
I agree with the 45-65 for boomers. Thing is, the best way IMO to define the cohorts is to understand how they think. There is a recent book on this, but forgot the title.

Anyway, that is why I also agree that some millenials were born in 1978 and 1979. You don’t see any millennials before that. But you can find some in the last few years of the 70s with some hybrids.

Of course I’m no authority on the subject but I would find it hard to defend the millennials starting at 1980, clear cut, as most do; contrairy to the boomers, who are clear cut 1945.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Everybody knows the way to tell if you are a millenial isn't the age you got your first cell phone but whether you like avocado toast or not :)

People also talk about millenials as the generation who were trying to find their first jobs during the recession of 08. That doesn't really apply to the 8 year old kid born in 2000. A generation spans about 20-25 years, it's not really surprising that if you are at one end of the spectrum you don't feel like you have much in common with kids at the other end of the spectrum who are 20 years your junior. I mean think about it, you're in your mid-30s and grouped with some people who haven't even turned 18. Is it any wonder you don't feel like you had the same type of childhood?

You will always feel like your generation is centered around your birth year, so say the 10 years before you were born and the 10 years after you were born. That's the group you'll have most in common with, but it obviously doesn't work beyond the individual level.

To each their own experience I guess. Personally, what I've heard from people when they referred to milleniums had very little similarities to me so I've never associated myself to that generation.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

I can kind of see of see how '76-'82 would feel how there are their own micro generation. I'm not old enough to have lived certain things, but I'm not young enough to be oblivious to them either. I mean, I don't remember having rotary phones in our house growing up, but I sure as hell knew how to use one. I'm old enough to know how life was before the internet (we finally got it around the time I graduated high school, and the nintendo video game revolution (we had Atari before that lol). I think a lot of things changed very quickly over a very short period of time.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I can kind of see of see how '76-'82 would feel how there are their own micro generation. I'm not old enough to have lived certain things, but I'm not young enough to be oblivious to them either. I mean, I don't remember having rotary phones in our house growing up, but I sure as hell knew how to use one. I'm old enough to know how life was before the internet (we finally got it around the time I graduated high school, and the nintendo video game revolution (we had Atari before that lol). I think a lot of things changed very quickly over a very short period of time.

I was being sarcastic because if he had read a bit further, he would've realized it's already been covered, there's even a wiki page about the actual name for that generation, called Xennials.

Reactions: FrankMTL

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I was being sarcastic because if he had read a bit further, he would've realized it's already been covered, there's even a wiki page about the actual name for that generation, called Xennials.

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is a little wonky this morning. :thumbu:

Here's a question for those people around our age. When was the last time you drove through a street hockey game? It happened all the time when I was a kid, but seems kind of rare now, no? I have two boys (4 and 1) and I already bought the 4 year old a street hockey net and equipment etc. We play together quite often, but hopefully they will continue to use it growing up, even when I'm not there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad