Habs HF Boards Age Demographics

What age range were you born?

• Baby Boomers (1946-1964)

• Generation X (1965 – 1980)

• Millennials/Generation Y (1981 – 1995)

• Generation Z (1996-Today)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes I would give it a while (if at all) as most kids still play street hockey, even if they don't play organized hockey. It's much less expensive, but the game remains the same.

I think Canada has a lot of talent that plays street hockey with their friends and can't afford to play organized hockey and go through our hockey system. I've seen it first hand with some of my friends.

Rockinron

Jan 19, 2013
Gen Xer here.. I was in Montreal (living on South Shore) for the Stanley Cup parades in 1979, 1986, & 1993. I was only 11 for the one in 1979 but was there with my dad... the other two was with a bunch of friends... what an amazing place to be for all 3.. very fond memories...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There are posters here who have never seen the Habs hoist a Cup. I'll take the 12 I've got and run.
I've watched the Habs win 10 Cups. Started watching the first season of expansion, which means I've never had my life tainted by a Leafs Cup.

Chances are no fan from any other team will ever witness as many Cups as we already have.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
You'd both be surprised the looks I get when I tell people that hockey will disappear from MTL culture within 20 years.

I think you are right on the money. I know some parents now with small children hitting 6-8 years old and when I mentioned hockey I was politely told no way in hell. The reason? The outrageous expense of equipment / registration and not wanting to give up already health lifestyle hobbies to then just focus going to the rink every weekend and having their only family vacations be to hockey tournaments.

Reactions: Runner77

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I think Canada has a lot of talent that plays street hockey with their friends and can't afford to play organized hockey and go through our hockey system. I've seen it first hand with some of my friends.
When I was a kid? We were the bane of every tennis court within walking distance. There were over 15 of us. Even had a few goalies with the old mylec pads LOL and made our nets out of PVC. We’d play all day on rollerblades. Fantastic memories!

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Where do you live that the parents can afford all of that? The cost of hockey is probably the #1 impediment to parents enrolling their kids in the sport. The next probably being risk of injury. Today, the cost of a hockey stick or two can approach the same cost it was to my mom to sign me up for an entire season of baseball in the 90's. Imagine if your kid wants to play goalie!
Toronto. Trust me. I'm not exaggerating. Hockey starts at 5-6 yrs but some parents have their kids in skating lessons at 3 to give them a leg up. It only gets worse from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I have heard of cases where it costs up to 10 grand a season per kid. Ice time, insurance, equipment, league fees and travel/hotels. I don't think that the majority of parents can really afford that but some are doing it any way. When you look at the way that disposable income has basically dissappeared for most families in 2019 , extracurricular activities like hockey are probably adding to the debt pile. Hockey has become a sport for the higher class incomes of our society and the effects of that are being seen already. Canada used to dominate the talent pool in the NHL but I think that the cost at the lower levels are turning many families and potential great young players away from the sport.

Unfortunately enough, in my experience this may still be a lowball estimate. High level youth hockey is tremendously expensive these days. My younger brother played D1 hockey and I shudder to think of how much my parents spent on his career up to Jr A. It worked out well for him, but that's obviously not the case for so many others.

Is minor hockey worth it? | The Star

The parents of Patrick Kane, the Chicago Blackhawks star, estimated their investment in his minor-league career, which he spent in the U.S., to be $250,000.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Unfortunately enough, in my experience this may still be a lowball estimate. High level youth hockey is tremendously expensive these days. My younger brother played D1 hockey and I shudder to think of how much my parents spent on his career up to Jr A. It worked out well for him, but that's obviously not the case for so many others.

Is minor hockey worth it? | The Star
My dollar figures are from here in the maritimes and the costs in the Toronto/Ontario would be much higher no doubt. The other factor would be that the level of play and quality of coaching would be at a much higher level there than here as much of our coaching is done by volunteers. We did however produce Sidney Crosby and Nate Mackinnon so I guess that talent is talent no matter where it hails from. The article mentioned Patrick Kane and I also read somewhere that his father once paid $40,000 for him to go to a 7 day hockey school in the US and that is just crazy. I also don't know the stats but you would have to think that most of todays NHL players both from NA and Europe would come from fairly wealthy families based on the crazy costs of rising through the hockey ranks to get to that level.

Reactions: covfefe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My dollar figures are from here in the maritimes and the costs in the Toronto/Ontario would be much higher no doubt. The other factor would be that the level of play and quality of coaching would be at a much higher level there than here as much of our coaching is done by volunteers. We did however produce Sidney Crosby and Nate Mackinnon so I guess that talent is talent no matter where it hails from. The article mentioned Patrick Kane and I also read somewhere that his father once paid $40,000 for him to go to a 7 day hockey school in the US and that is just crazy. I also don't know the stats but you would have to think that most of todays NHL players both from NA and Europe would come from fairly wealthy families based on the crazy costs of rising through the hockey ranks to get to that level.

I had a lot of friends went to Quebec for summer power skating training. Not sure how this has changed in the Maritimes over the last 20+ years?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The exact goalie equipment I used for street hockey...good memories. Good old DR. The goalie pads were foam, so if it was really cold and the orange ball was really frozen, it would hurt like a bugger if it hit you in certain areas, especially right above the knees.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Be more clear? If you are being sarcastic or want to argue about something stupid, move on. I was very clear with what I said and asked as a question. Not sure how you didn't understand it?
Why do you spend most of your time picking fights here? I have no idea what your power skating comment/question was referring to, I was simply responding to another post and I have no idea what you meant? I rarely do for that matter.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why do you spend most of your time picking fights here? I have no idea what your power skating comment/question was referring to, I was simply responding to another post and I have no idea what you meant? I rarely do for that matter.

Not picking a fight. I didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not and I ask you a simple question. Asking questions is not picking a fight.

Why did you reply to my post saying "What"? Can you be more clear? It's a question

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Not picking a fight. I didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not and I ask you a simple question. Asking questions is not picking a fight.

Why did you reply to my post saying "What"? Can you be more clear? It's a question
I had no idea what you meant by the power skating question and I was not being sarcastic. My knowledge of the costs of hockey in the maritimes are based on my own information gathered from friends and family that have kids in minor hockey, I also have several friends and beer league buddies that coach minor hockey.

Reactions: Runner77
Apr 28, 2010
I've seen the Habs win the cup...... zero times. :(

But at least I was born a month later after they won it in '86.

I was 7 in '93. But I wasn't into hockey back then.

I love the Mighty Ducks movies though.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I am 39 years old,

I will never forget how memorable the 93 cup run was. The night of the stanley cup victory, at 13 years old, a section of the roof of my parents house was on fire.
We all had to evacuate for a few minutes. I then asked the firemen if I could possibly finish the game down in the basement where there was no smoke...

They accepted. The rest is old news, the habs won the cup! I then proceeded outside, yelled "the habs won the cup" and all the firemen cheered loudly while extinguishing the rest of the small fire.

An epic night never to be forgoten!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I am 39 years old,

I will never forget how memorable the 93 cup run was. The night of the stanley cup victory, at 13 years old, a section of the roof of my parents house was on fire.
We all had to evacuate for a few minutes. I then asked the firemen if I could possibly finish the game down in the basement where there was no smoke...

They accepted. The rest is old news, the habs won the cup! I then proceeded outside, yelled "the habs won the cup" and all the firemen cheered loudly while extinguishing the rest of the small fire.

An epic night never to be forgoten!

Another 79 born?

Nice dog btw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad