Habs HF Boards Age Demographics

What age range were you born?

• Baby Boomers (1946-1964)

• Generation X (1965 – 1980)

• Millennials/Generation Y (1981 – 1995)

• Generation Z (1996-Today)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Sorry, my sarcasm detector is a little wonky this morning. :thumbu:

Here's a question for those people around our age. When was the last time you drove through a street hockey game? It happened all the time when I was a kid, but seems kind of rare now, no? I have two boys (4 and 1) and I already bought the 4 year old a street hockey net and equipment etc. We play together quite often, but hopefully they will continue to use it growing up, even when I'm not there.

Depends on where you live. Demographics of the neighbourhood has a lot to do with it.

I still see a lot of kids doing it, although it does seem less than in the past.

Where I spent most of my preteen and teen years, our street was pretty new, new development, so all the parents were about the same age and there was a whole chunk of the street, about a 12 house span where everyone knew each other, the kids all knew each other. On summer nights, sometimes it would be crazy just how many of the neighbours were out on the street talking to each other. We often had a BBQ at one house, and someone else would make one a few weeks after. Always had a place to go to a neighbours if I was in trouble. I've rarely seen this elsewhere (divorced parents) in other places I lived.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is a trap.
giphy.gif

JD working hard in the off season. :biglaugh:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Sorry, my sarcasm detector is a little wonky this morning. :thumbu:

Here's a question for those people around our age. When was the last time you drove through a street hockey game? It happened all the time when I was a kid, but seems kind of rare now, no? I have two boys (4 and 1) and I already bought the 4 year old a street hockey net and equipment etc. We play together quite often, but hopefully they will continue to use it growing up, even when I'm not there.

I wonder why that stopped, though. Is it because nowadays parents are too afraid of their kids being run by cars? :huh:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder why that stopped, though. Is it because nowadays parents are too afraid of their kids being run by cars? :huh:

I think parents are generally afraid to have their kids go outside unsupervised than ever before.

Also, it's much easier for kids to connect with their friends through online video games, and they also get to play with smartphones which alot of us didn't have growing up.

Sure, I had video game consoles growing up, but we never had online capability, so that connection with friends was always missing. It forced you to get together with friends physically.

So I think it's a combination of fearful parenting, and technology advancements that have lead to the decline of these road hockey games outside.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
kids don't play street hockey anymore because their parents have them taking extra skating lessons, shooting lessons, treadmill sessions, more ice time etc.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Being a boomer has some advantages, not the least of which is my watching 12 Cup winning series, courtesy of the Habs.

Thank you gentlemen!
When you get used to watching the Habs win the Cup on a regular basis like us boomers, it's doubly frustrating to see how "ordinary" the teams have been. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought there wouldn't be a Cup win since the 93 one. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see one again. :(

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
When you get used to watching the Habs win the Cup on a regular basis like us boomers, it's doubly frustrating to see how "ordinary" the teams have been. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought there wouldn't be a Cup win since the 93 one. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see one again. :(

There are posters here who have never seen the Habs hoist a Cup. I'll take the 12 I've got and run.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Six cups in the 70's was absolutely amazing. It felt like this was a right of spring............then 1 in the 80's almost two, then 1 in the 90's and here we are now...beyond frustrating to watch MB swim under water for 7 years.

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel, I am hoping it's not a train...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think parents are generally afraid to have their kids go outside unsupervised than ever before.

Also, it's much easier for kids to connect with their friends through online video games, and they also get to play with smartphones which alot of us didn't have growing up.

Sure, I had video game consoles growing up, but we never had online capability, so that connection with friends was always missing. It forced you to get together with friends physically.

So I think it's a combination of fearful parenting, and technology advancements that have lead to the decline of these road hockey games outside.

I think that's reason number one. Kids play video games, have tablets and smartphones etc. They don't go outside and play like they used to. When I was growing up, (especially before Nintendo), that's all we did was go outside. We used to organize the street hockey games in the school bus on the way home. It would be at so and so's house, somebody would bring an extra hockey net, goalie pads etc...and that was it. We'd play till it got dark or till we didn't have enough players left.

I realize that I sound like i'm 60, but i'm 39 and it wasn't THAT long ago.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
kids don't play street hockey anymore because their parents have them taking extra skating lessons, shooting lessons, treadmill sessions, more ice time etc.

Where do you live that the parents can afford all of that? The cost of hockey is probably the #1 impediment to parents enrolling their kids in the sport. The next probably being risk of injury. Today, the cost of a hockey stick or two can approach the same cost it was to my mom to sign me up for an entire season of baseball in the 90's. Imagine if your kid wants to play goalie!

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Where do you live that the parents can afford all of that? The cost of hockey is probably the #1 impediment to parents enrolling their kids in the sport. The next probably being risk of injury. Today, the cost of a hockey stick or two can approach the same cost it was to my mom to sign me up for an entire season of baseball in the 90's. Imagine if your kid wants to play goalie!

Mine play organized soccer...a little more reasonable for the bank account for now.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

And that's why we'll probably get robbed of a lot would-be great players from the lower classes because of social darwinism.

Probably why Quebec hockey is in such a sad state as Quebec has one of the lowest middle classes in NA except for Mexico.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
And that's why we'll probably get robbed of a lot would-be great players from the lower classes because of social darwinism.

Probably why Quebec hockey is in such a sad state as Quebec has one of the lowest middle classes in NA except for Mexico.

Mine play organized soccer...a little more reasonable for the bank account for now.

You'd both be surprised the looks I get when I tell people that hockey will disappear from MTL culture within 20 years.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have heard of cases where it costs up to 10 grand a season per kid. Ice time, insurance, equipment, league fees and travel/hotels. I don't think that the majority of parents can really afford that but some are doing it any way. When you look at the way that disposable income has basically dissappeared for most families in 2019 , extracurricular activities like hockey are probably adding to the debt pile. Hockey has become a sport for the higher class incomes of our society and the effects of that are being seen already. Canada used to dominate the talent pool in the NHL but I think that the cost at the lower levels are turning many families and potential great young players away from the sport.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad